Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will any model Saturn ever be considered "Classic"?
Yes, it's just a matter of time 5 8.06%
Probably but not for certian 5 8.06%
Maybe 6 9.68%
I doubt it 15 24.19%
LOL Not a chance in heck 31 50.00%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 10:03 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, the main issue was the relative lack of continual investment in the Saturn brand from GM that would lead to faster refreshes and new updated platforms for vehicles that would increase sales.
This is the reason GM was getting back to basics and shedding its other brands.

December 2, 2008, General Motors had announced its intentions to focus on their four core brands (Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, GMC), with the sale, consolidation, or closure of Saturn and the remaining brands (Pontiac, Hummer, and Saab).[10] General Motors chairman and former CEO Rick Wagoner announced during a news conference on February 17, 2009, that Saturn would remain in operation through the end of the planned life cycle for all Saturn products (2010–2011).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 10:21 PM

17,628 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Perhaps in salted roads country a plastic generation Saturn could be a good winter heater vehicle. The engine of the first generation were exclusive to Saturn and were fairly reliable. Even so, I doubt they’d be a collector’s car. The Saturn Sky was the looked with sports car performance so this may be the only one to become a collector’s car

Old 10-21-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Perhaps in salted roads country a plastic generation Saturn could be a good winter heater vehicle. The engine of the first generation were exclusive to Saturn and were fairly reliable. Even so, I doubt they’d be a collector’s car. The Saturn Sky was the looked with sports car performance so this may be the only one to become a collector’s car
The Saturn Sky won’t because a collector car because you forget that GM had another 2 seat roadster the Pontiac Solstice it not a prized vehicle it uses the same 2.0 Ecotec engine that was engineered by Opel. They were hysterical a 4 banger vehicle. Now the Plymouth prowler is a more desirable roadster and has a 3.5 v6 motor, and is more of a eye catcher than the SKY or the Solstice.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:22 AM

17,628 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The Saturn Sky won’t because a collector car because you forget that GM had another 2 seat roadster the Pontiac Solstice it not a prized vehicle it uses the same 2.0 Ecotec engine that was engineered by Opel. They were hysterical a 4 banger vehicle. Now the Plymouth prowler is a more desirable roadster and has a 3.5 v6 motor, and is more of a eye catcher than the SKY or the Solstice.
True. I thought about that after posting. Also remembered the Saturn Astra. Think it sold for only one year before Saturn was axed. This means there are a very limited number of “Saturn” Astras on the road today. The more desirable would be the XR with manual transmission. Too bad GM brought the Astra here without the European performance engine option.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:19 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,636,102 times
Quote:
No they were just a plastic panel sedan with a 4 banger engine, just like a Chevrolet cavalier, or a Pontiac sunbird nothing special about them. You can call Saturn a Roger Smith blunder one of the worst GM CEO’S GM ever had Saturn was one of GM divisions to go under because sales never took off as GM thought they would.
The original Saturns were much better than a Cavalier. They actually showed that Americans are capable of building a car that can compete with the Japanese, but in the end GM screwed it up. When they started taking those awful unreliable European cars and sticking a Saturn logo on them, they were done.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:24 AM

34,236 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
I always liked the Solstice. It was comparable in performance to the Miata. I rented a Solstice once, and thought about buying one, but decided against it. It drove ok, but there was something about it that just felt chinzie, like many American cars. I think the Miata was tough to compete against.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:07 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,405,782 times
Quote:
Nope. The hood, roof, and trunk is steel. I don't know weather or not the very first Saturn's were different as the Chicago Tribune stated, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of them (if not all) had steel hoods, roofs and fenders.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Nope. The hood, roof, and trunk is steel. I don't know weather or not the very first Saturn's were different as the Chicago Tribune stated, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of them (if not all) had steel hoods, roofs and fenders.
Unlike conventional auto bodies, Saturn`s fenders, hood, trunk lid and door panels are made of a tough, yet lightweight, plastic. Saturn officials say there are a number of reasons they abandoned steel in favor of plastic.Nov 25, 1990

Old 10-21-2018, 11:50 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,698,043 times
Lol they considered a throw away car IMO.

Old 10-21-2018, 12:29 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,998,238 times
"A classic car is an older automobile; the exact definition varies around the world. The common theme is of an older car with enough historical interest to be collectable and worth preserving or restoring rather than scrapping. Cars 20 years and older typically fall into the classic class."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive