Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 02:05 PM

48 posts, read 56,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
LOL. I remember a Car and Driver (always appreciated their humor) article on the demise of the Morgan. They were starting to wax nostalgic about it and started off with, “The Morgan starts, when it starts, on a familiar note.....”
Morgan is still in business. I visited the factory in 2016. They are the largest independent car builder in the UK and the oldest family owned car builder in the world. The cars are pretty much built to order and there is usually a waiting list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 02:20 PM

48 posts, read 56,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Jensen Healy Interceptor. It takes me back to my college days. Loved it then, love it now. Just look. It has that timeless beauty. It could have rolled off the assembly line today.

Not to make too fine of a point of it, but the car in the original post is a Jensen Interceptor which was Chrysler powered and came as a coupe, fastback (shown) and a convertible. Yes they were pretty terrible. The Jensen-Healey was a 2-seat sports car or a long roof coupe/shooting brake that used a version of the Lotus twin cam 4-cylinder. It wasn't bad, just too expensive for what it was and I think a bit under appreciated today.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:27 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
It's a Chevrolet Corvair.

IMO the Gen II Corvair body style has held up remarkably well and still looks contemporary, especially with modern wheels/tires.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
There was a man in Iowa that had F NADER plates on his Corvair.

https://www.upi.com/F-Nader-plate-to...8701149192228/

Someone here in coastal NC had a Gen II Corvair convertible with a plate that was either NADRSUX or NADRSKS, I can't remember which.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Ding, ding, ding..... we have a winner^^^^^

To the original picture poster, look up Ralph Nader and his lifelong battle for the consumer, and lifelong hatred of the Corvair.

Or check the local library for a copy of Unsafe At Any Speed if you want to read a lot of BS from someone I believe has never had a driver's license and relied on the engineering opinions of first responders to support his foolish hatred.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:37 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
Not to make too fine of a point of it, but the car in the original post is a Jensen Interceptor which was Chrysler powered and came as a coupe, fastback (shown) and a convertible. Yes they were pretty terrible. The Jensen-Healey was a 2-seat sports car or a long roof coupe/shooting brake that used a version of the Lotus twin cam 4-cylinder. It wasn't bad, just too expensive for what it was and I think a bit under appreciated today.
I often make this mistake, am corrected then several years later go back to saying the same thing. I think the era of the small British cars powered by humongous and cheap American iron was pretty unique. Sunbeam and TVR come to mind.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:23 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Jensen Healy Interceptor. It takes me back to my college days. Loved it then, love it now. Just look. It has that timeless beauty. It could have rolled off the assembly line today.
THAT is elegance! Can't think of anything today that compares. What became of the manufacturer?

Old 12-12-2018, 08:37 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
THAT is elegance! Can't think of anything today that compares. What became of the manufacturer?
They went out of business in about 1976. Then someone later bought them and they made a new Interceptor that came with a built in fax machine (what an awesome idea! Everyone needs a fax machine in their car). It was about $230,000 if I remember correctly. I think they sold one of them.

I have always felt the Interceptor convertible is probably the classiest looking car I know of. And of course it has that marvelous name emblazoned on it.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:46 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
Funny, i thought I knew nearly most of what there is to know about Jensen motorcars, but I did not know there was a coupe. They only made 60. I am not sure whether any ever made it to the USA. I have been to dozens of Jensen and/or British car shows (I even visited the factory site in West Bromwich) and have never seen one.

BTW Here is the CV8. A supercar for its time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1964_Jensen_CV8MkII.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	205697
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive