Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 06:21 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"What will it take for people to stop buying oversized gas-guzzling vehicles?"
that Begs the Question of your personal political opinion.
"$10 a gallon?"
well, France is answering that question.
"$25 a gallon?"
no, because by that time, milk will be $30.
...and the absolutely must-have personal vehicle will need half of Wyoming to turn around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 06:26 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
It just drives you batty that there are people out here, on a national/international forum, who have opinions that don't match yours, doesn't it?
I know you were responding to someone else but I don’t think you understand the sentiment. We here have regularly seen hardcore environmentalist come here wanting people to stop buying trucks, SUVs, crossovers, and other gas guzzling vehicles. They are the ones telling others what they need to do. They’re the automotive version of militant vegans talking others to stop eating animal based products. I’d love it if more people drove compact to midsize cars (gas, hybrid, or electric). But I’m also a free market capitalist. If customers can afford a product and wants to buy that product then that’s their personal choice. Doesn’t mean it’s a right nor wrong choice. It’s a personal choice on how their spend their hard earned money.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:28 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
In 2008, gas hit $4 a gallon and there was panic. People couldn't afford to get to work and their used pickups and SUVs were almost worthless. Here we are 10 years later and we haven't learned our lesson as we continue to drive massive pickups and SUVs. What will it take for people to stop buying oversized gas-guzzling vehicles? $10 a gallon? $25 a gallon?
By May, 2011 U.S. gasoline prices averaged $3.97/gallon. Now the U.S. is a net oil exporter, and finding more large oil, and gas fields all the time. I am not saying gas prices won't spike again, but we currently have a growing economy, with very high demand yet declining prices due to world supply.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:31 PM

155 posts, read 125,906 times
This thread made by a troll, everyone.

Talk about how many Hummer H1s you all have.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:24 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I got several quotes for my Silverado yesterday. Lowest price for four tires out the door is $1086. Chump change for me.

^This. While I wouldn't consider $1,000 to be chump change, when you average it out over the life of the tires, it really is not that much.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:58 PM

59 posts, read 63,249 times
I’ve driven a Ford Supercab for 15 yrs now. I bought it because I wanted a truck and I liked the way it looked.
A good truck lasts a long time. The gas guzzling V8 has saved my life a number of times.

Gas guzzling....This is kind of assuming people drive lots of miles per year. If you aren’t doing that then gas is less of a problem.

Now I have no need for a truck so I’m downsizing to smaller SUV. I looked at sedans but there is no bang for your buck in my price range. The last SUV I test drove was a better drive than the corresponding sedan....go figure. Some of the SUV’s get almost the same mpg as some sedans. Pricewise, There are some great deals out there.

Trucks on the other hand. I couldn’t really afford a new truck like mine if I wanted one, the prices are sky high. I think that will be more of a factor. Of course there will always be used trucks.

Lastly, I guess you could say I’m tired of driving around deathboxes with no acceleration that impede the flow of traffic to. If someone wants to move around in a super compact and risk their life, that’s there decision, just don’t impose it on me.

Last edited by JHughesa; 12-09-2018 at 08:07 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 08:19 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
In 2008, gas hit $4 a gallon and there was panic. People couldn't afford to get to work and their used pickups and SUVs were almost worthless. Here we are 10 years later and we haven't learned our lesson as we continue to drive massive pickups and SUVs. What will it take for people to stop buying oversized gas-guzzling vehicles? $10 a gallon? $25 a gallon?
Your point has merit, but what will it take for people to just plain walk, bike, and public transit more when those are options? It is the total gals of gas burned that matters, not only the rate at which a given vehicle burns it. Someone whose vehicle gets 10 mpg but drives a fourth as many miles as someone getting 30 mpg is using less gas than the latter.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:27 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Your point has merit, but what will it take for people to just plain walk, bike, and public transit more when those are options? It is the total gals of gas burned that matters, not only the rate at which a given vehicle burns it. Someone whose vehicle gets 10 mpg but drives a fourth as many miles as someone getting 30 mpg is using less gas than the latter.
Let’s tax them out of their vehicles. See France as a great example.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:36 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Because not everyone lives in the city and Farmers and Ranchers who grow/produce our food we eat/need that is then it is send by Rail or trucked in and if the price of fuel skyrockets so does the price of food and everything else.

People will be mad when a loaf of Bread is $30 bucks and Milk is $40 bucks a Gallon

Old 12-09-2018, 08:40 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Because not everyone lives in the city and Farmers and Ranchers who grow/produce our food we eat/need that is then it is send by Rail or trucked in and if the price of fuel skyrockets so does the price of food and everything else.

People will be mad when a loaf of Bread is $30 bucks and Milk is $40 bucks a Gallon

Yeah, that is why I said “when those are options.” I live in a rural area myself. People can reduce gas consumption in more than one way. Mine is to drive fewer miles despite living in a rural area. No technology is required, it is voluntary, and *I* decide what vehicle best fits my life.

I was phrasing the points in the same manner as the OP (“what will it take for people to...”), but I do not agree that heavyhanded dictation of lifestyle is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive