Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 02:57 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,295,089 times

Advertisements

I only drive my husband's SUV when I need to pick up something that won't fit in my compact 4-door sedan. I also chip in on driving when we are going on a vacation in his car.

He almost NEVER drives my car. He hates my car. *lol*

My car is NOT the nicer car. Mine is 2005, his is 2014. I won't be replacing mine for another year or two, and even then probably won't end up with as nice a car as him. I am not one to need a super-nice car. Just give me A/C and a working stereo, and I'm all set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 03:30 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,474,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekawal View Post
Back in the day, you were lucky to own one car, and the whole family shared it. It's interesting to me that people from the same family have a problem with other family members using "their" car.

Some woman back then didn't even know how to drive. They stayed home and raised the kids, while hubby drove the car to work. The country was a lot better off, too, but I'm sure others will be quick to differ.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:42 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
"Letting her" drive it? I didn't realize we needed our husband's permission, especially those of us women who WORK and buy our own cars.
Quote was written from the perspective of a husband buying a car. "Letting his wife drive it" translates into proactively adding two drivers to this vehicle on the insurance policy and deciding that he will drive the older vehicle.

I don't understand what's there to get offended about. My wife and I each have only our respective names on "our" cars, but don't hesitate to switch when practical: better gas mileage for a long trip, bigger capacity for a stop at Lowe's, etc. Yet we don't fight, ever. She remarked how all of her married friends argue frequently, but is so glad that we don't.

FYI she doesn't look for reasons to get offended

Old 01-04-2019, 04:21 PM

1,002 posts, read 916,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I only drive my husband's SUV when I need to pick up something that won't fit in my compact 4-door sedan. I also chip in on driving when we are going on a vacation in his car.

He almost NEVER drives my car. He hates my car. *lol*

My car is NOT the nicer car. Mine is 2005, his is 2014. I won't be replacing mine for another year or two, and even then probably won't end up with as nice a car as him. I am not one to need a super-nice car. Just give me A/C and a working stereo, and I'm all set.

Sounds very financially responsible.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,651,739 times
My friends do... they own a Suburban and a Miata...

Who drives what depends on where they go.

Anyone having to go into the city will take the Miata... and they switch often.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:09 PM

213 posts, read 343,055 times
My husband and I interchangeably drive the vehicles we have. We are the same height, so there's no adjustment of mirrors and such.

When we married, I had an SUV and he had a compact. He upgraded to a truck later, then we had a baby. The truck has LATCH in it, the SUV didn't. So we swapped vehicles.

Later we sold the SUV to make ends meet, so we shared the truck for a year.

Then my grandfather sold us his minivan. Despite the minivan being newer, far less miles, more high end features, and much more kid friendly... we both prefer the truck. He typically drives it to work, but I'll freely take it in the evenings and weekends. If it's a whole family outing, we generally take the minivan with him driving, but can fit everybody in the truck too. And any time I need the truck for my hobby farm stuff, we swap.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:49 AM

388 posts, read 307,130 times
We've never really had my car and his car- we have, in fact, only had two cars for about six years. For a while whichever one of us had the longer commute to work drove the one with better gas mileage, and then we lived in an apartment with a one-car garage so whichever one of us left first took the one parked in the driveway.

We just got a new car a couple of weeks ago, so for now that's my car because he doesn't know how to drive a manual. Presumably I'll teach him eventually but I expect it will still be mine by default because he's not interested in the extra hassle of driving the stick if it's not absolutely necessary.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:22 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
My wife doesn’t like driving one of my trucks unless she has to. The other truck she physically can’t it’s a standard shift and it’s git a learning curve and it’s a dual wheel truck s it’s 8 feet wide.

I usually drive her car if we’re going to dinner. It has dual driver settings . Otherwise we don’t drive each other’s cars

Old 01-05-2019, 11:34 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I drive our newer car and hubby drives the older one, back and forth to work...5 miles away. If I’m not going anywhere, he’ll usually take “my” car. It also depends on whether we need space to haul things.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:45 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
Quote:
and then we lived in an apartment with a one-car garage so whichever one of us left first took the one parked in the driveway.
AlaskaAma.....THAT was really the scenario I asked about...do couples prefer to do the musical chairs game with the cars -- versus just taking the car that's parked behind the other car, and more accessible
Sounds like most people would rather play the musical chairs car game.

I know I wouldn't get up if I didn't have to -- to move my car so the person could get out. In my awakened stupor I'd tell them,"just take the other car!" NOR would I -- on my way to work in the morning -- want to take the time to move the car that's blocking me, just so I can get out. THEN get back in the first car, and put that back in the driveway. Only to then have to get back in "my" car to leave. I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive