Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 07:15 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Trucky-cars for car-cars is a fad and a whim, and when taste swings back away from little pretendy truck-car-UVs, the makers dropping those lines are going to be in a world of hurt. And piteously looking for bailouts, yet again.

I had the same thought. The road that Ford is heading down is a treacherous one. Not everyone wants a truck or SUV, and when public opinion swings back the other way, Ford will have nothing to offer these customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 10:07 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I had the same thought. The road that Ford is heading down is a treacherous one. Not everyone wants a truck or SUV, and when public opinion swings back the other way, Ford will have nothing to offer these customers.

I said this a while back. People will be driving through a Ford lot like on a Sunday to look around, and see trucks, trucks, suv's crossover's, mustangs. And down the road they go.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:34 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
The problem is nobody really wanted sedans last time. When SUV’s and trucks were last all the craze and gas prices suddendly skyrocketed during a recession, sedans became the fallback choice because their size gave them an edge on gas mileage. As soon as the market recovered and gas prices dropped, people went back to what they actually wanted. There’s just not enough demand for every car manufacturer to have sedans make up half their lineup.
There was a time when every manufacturer offered a minivan, now only a few do. Not all segments “bounce back”.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:39 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
You have to look into the reasons that trucks became so popular in the first place. Those reasons are mostly gone, and the market will slowly realize that.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:34 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
So do you feel Honda is on a treacherous road, too? I mean they only make cars and crossovers - no real trucks - which is is a bigger market (by far) than sedans. Honda makes nothing to compete with a F-150, F-Super Duty, Transit/Transit Connect, Expedition, etc. I don't hear people screaming about that and how Honda is doomed.

So what's really worse? Ford abandoning the low-profit/low-sales segments or Honda refusing to produce vehicles for the high-profit/high-demand segments? There is nothing that says every OEM has to make a vehicle for every single segment. (Look at Jeep, who doesn't make cars or big trucks/commercial vans, either....)

Old 01-11-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
You have to look into the reasons that trucks became so popular in the first place. Those reasons are mostly gone, and the market will slowly realize that.
People like trucks because they are roomy, offer great utility/interior space, good seating position, poor weather performance, etc.

All of that is still a factor and now crossovers and SUV's get so much better fuel mileage than they used to.

I'm not a SUV/Truck person - I have 3 sedans in my garage - but I understand why most people want crossovers/SUV's and I don't see that changing anytime soon - even if gas spiked a bit.

So what things about trucks that made them so popular not factors anymore?

Old 01-11-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
So do you feel Honda is on a treacherous road, too? I mean they only make cars and crossovers - no real trucks - which is is a bigger market (by far) than sedans. Honda makes nothing to compete with a F-150, F-Super Duty, Transit/Transit Connect, Expedition, etc. I don't hear people screaming about that and how Honda is doomed.
Because at the end of the day, light trucks are ONLY 50% of current sales, and Honda has a very, very comfortable chunk of the rest. And a "crossover" model in the Ridgeline.

I really don't understand why the pickup crowd has to take every argument off a cliff, then have their buddies winch them back up so they can do it again. Must be something to do with rubber truck balls.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:00 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Hatchbacks to me are the perfect combo - sedan like in handling, MPG and ride plus the ability to flip seats down and carry awkward sized items. Add a trailer hitch and you can tow a small 4x8 and carry oversized things like plywood, furniture, etc. more easily than a pickup.

They're everywhere in Europe towing small trailers. The problem in the US is the identical car says "do not tow" in the owner's manual and putting a receiver hitch on it risks voiding your warranty. Welcome to the world of United States product liability lawsuits.

I used to drive VW GTIs as my daily driver from 2001 to 2015. Towing with those voided the warranty. I know new Golfs and SportWagens are like that. Last I looked, the Prius was like that. I drive a 6 cylinder Outback these days. Any time I think a hatch or compact wagon with a receiver hitch would work for me, I do the internet search and the cars I looked at couldn't tow in the US even though you see them everywhere in Europe towing things.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
...even though you see them everywhere in Europe towing things.
I'd wager you rarely see anything being towed there that can't be hand-pulled. "Towing" here means immense toy trailers and fifth wheels.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Because at the end of the day, light trucks are ONLY 50% of current sales, and Honda has a very, very comfortable chunk of the rest. And a "crossover" model in the Ridgeline.

I really don't understand why the pickup crowd has to take every argument off a cliff, then have their buddies winch them back up so they can do it again. Must be something to do with rubber truck balls.
Light trucks, even at "only" 50% of sales is probably 65-75% of the profits. The F-150 sells more than the Accord and Civic combined with higher margins. If Honda didn't want any piece of that they wouldn't bother starting off with the Ridgeline.

I just don't see where all the Ford hate is coming from when they are abandoning non-profitable segments, and there are plenty of other automakers who do not offer a full lineup either.

As far as EVs are concerned, I think once battery technology improves and there are more entry-level crossover options, those will start gaining market share over sedans at that time. Will be interesting to see how much the Model Y cannibalizes the Model 3 when it comes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive