Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 05:08 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,404,508 times

Advertisements

We recently bought a new Honda CR-V. It is an EX, which is one step above the entry level LX.

I sometimes regret my decision and wish I would have gotten the entry level instead. Some of the upgrades that come with the level that I got are a smaller turbo charged engine (I would have rather had the other engine with no turbo), larger wheels (smaller wheels are actually better on ice and the tires are cheaper to replace), and a sunroof (lots of people don't like sunroofs, but they are forced upon you if you want the upgraded version).

You have to look at all of the different options between the vehicle versions that you are looking for and make a decision. Sometimes an entry level might make more sense and could be the best decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 07:21 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,086 times
Base models have less needless, useless gadgets that are prone to break later on.
Heated seats, heated steering wheels, GPS, Bluetooth, cup holder cooler or heater. An average guy like me and most people could do without these "luxuries". A buddy of mine has his wife's car at the dealership every other month for heated seat malfunction. Problem is, and he knows it, his dear wife is about double the size of an average woman. So the dealership is making money off him every time he brings her car in for repair. Without the heated seats, the car has given them no problems that I know of. If it didn't have them heated seats, the dealership wouldnt be making any money off their product.
The above is just one example of useless add ons IMO

Old 01-11-2019, 07:56 AM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Base models have less needless, useless gadgets that are prone to break later on.
Heated seats, heated steering wheels, GPS, Bluetooth, cup holder cooler or heater. An average guy like me and most people could do without these "luxuries". A buddy of mine has his wife's car at the dealership every other month for heated seat malfunction. Problem is, and he knows it, his dear wife is about double the size of an average woman. So the dealership is making money off him every time he brings her car in for repair. Without the heated seats, the car has given them no problems that I know of. If it didn't have them heated seats, the dealership wouldnt be making any money off their product.
The above is just one example of useless add ons IMO
Useless? I don't know. You said yourself that one of the likely issues is that his wife is somewhat stout. Mrs. NBP has heated seats in her 2010 Forester and they've been fine. She complains that my F150 doesn't have them when it's cold.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:56 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,340,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
There was once an adage that is very much worth the difference to spring for the model of car that is a step above entry level, even if it means moving down a notch in brand.. Is this still true, or was it ever true?
No, it was never true. The argument is the resale will be better on the higher optioned car, which is true, but you have to pay more for it in the first place. So it ends up evening out.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:46 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
Base models now are for the Rental lots. Just look at a base Fusion, Camry, Malibu, Altima and there are no fog lights, a very small screen, no power seats sometimes and the cheesiest looking wheels known to man vs the regular consumer model that you actually want.

Base probably will have less issues, with less electronics to go wrong though.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:51 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,980,084 times
I buy drive snd hold until the car dies so in this case get the model that fits your needs.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:29 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Most "base" model cars are actually going to be pretty well equipped today. Features like power windows/door locks, keyless entry, sound system with Bluetooth, even A/C, are pretty much standard equipment on everything but just a few of the small Asian econoboxes. A premium trim level (what used to go by a name something like "LTX Custom Supreme Brougham" years ago) usually gets you upgrades like the heated power seats, power moonroof, premium infotainment system, upgraded wheels, among other things. Sometimes some of those upgrades may be available in a "package" on a lesser model.

Gone are the days when the base models came with black rubber floor covering instead of carpet, slab-like bench seats with no foam padding and plain upholstery, manual window and door locks, dog-dish hubcaps, two-speed wipers with no intermittent, etc.

One thing that was often possible in the old days, was that since options were mostly a la carte, you could get a plain base model with an atypical upgrade for that trim level, like factory A/C, or the same large-displacement engine that was more often found on the premium model.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:59 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Base models now are for the Rental lots. Just look at a base Fusion, Camry, Malibu, Altima and there are no fog lights, a very small screen, no power seats sometimes and the cheesiest looking wheels known to man vs the regular consumer model that you actually want.

I'm a Hertz Five Star. I don't think I've ever seen a Fusion in their fleet but I'm no stranger to the base trim level Camry, Malibu, and Altima. This week, I was in a Camry for four days. The dealers don't order many for inventory because there's more profit selling the higher trim levels.

Personally, I can afford to buy the top trim level paying cash for the car so that's what I buy. I like having the bigger engine and all the features. I'm also very aware that the best value in the car is at the lower trim levels.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:20 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post

Base probably will have less issues, with less electronics to go wrong though.

A few months ago I bought a base model Honda Civic LX coupe. It has all the options I need. The next level up had things I just didnt want or need, like a large touch screen on the center console. And other things I didnt want. I just dont want or need a touch screen in my vehicle. I was actually surprised the options it has being a base LX level.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
For a daily driver I want the basics. I’m gonna rack a ton of miles so I’ll be getting rid of it at 200,000. That used to mean every four years

On a personal vehicle that’s pleasure use I buy as top of the line as I can because I’ll keep it for a long time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive