Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 11:36 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,721,076 times

Advertisements

https://youtu.be/1Uc1n4ng9Nk

Been seeing this ad all over again

As a recommendation, someone shared it on Reddit and so on.

Seriously though, the powerful dialogue is just so true.

This ad is like a masterpiece of work

Cars went from a rich man's toy to a poor man's appliance. Maybe overestimating a bit here, as someone who is trying to save for their first car by my 18th birthday, most cars today are pretentious and try hard as hell today, talking particularly sports and performance cars.

And taking enviromentalism into account, is not the cars themeselves, is the traffic jams. This is why I find the public transportation solution a bit halirious, do you realize a bus can emit more carbon in a minute while idling than say the same amount of CO2 a car can in a 30 minute or 40 mile drive?

Commentary aside, this commercial really should be back in air sometime eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 01:18 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
I believe that is Jeremy Clarkson’s voice.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:32 AM

15,435 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
https://youtu.be/1Uc1n4ng9Nk

Been seeing this ad all over again

As a recommendation, someone shared it on Reddit and so on.

Seriously though, the powerful dialogue is just so true.

This ad is like a masterpiece of work

Cars went from a rich man's toy to a poor man's appliance. Maybe overestimating a bit here, as someone who is trying to save for their first car by my 18th birthday, most cars today are pretentious and try hard as hell today, talking particularly sports and performance cars.

And taking enviromentalism into account, is not the cars themeselves, is the traffic jams. This is why I find the public transportation solution a bit halirious, do you realize a bus can emit more carbon in a minute while idling than say the same amount of CO2 a car can in a 30 minute or 40 mile drive?

Commentary aside, this commercial really should be back in air sometime eventually.
Does it emit more than 20 cars, or whatever number it replaces? You can’t compare one bus to one car and get a true comparison. I’m on the side of having my own car, but I can see the error you are making. However, if a bus does emit more than 20 cars then forget I brought it up.

Old 01-28-2019, 06:48 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,721,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I believe that is Jeremy Clarkson’s voice.
Yes.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Does it emit more than 20 cars, or whatever number it replaces? You can’t compare one bus to one car and get a true comparison. I’m on the side of having my own car, but I can see the error you are making. However, if a bus does emit more than 20 cars then forget I brought it up.
I'm a car guy, with a 385 HP V8, however I also question this.

A better comparison is the amount of pollution per passenger. A car with driver only may emit only 1/20th that of a bus, but a bus only needs to have 20 people on it to come out even with the car. Around here at commute time the buses are standing room only with about 100 passengers.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:43 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,446 times
I’m more bothered by the price of a car nowadays. By 1968 costs, a Corvette today “should” cost around $35,000. Instead, today it’s twice that. I understand cars are way more advanced today, but the car has become a huge monetary drain for many households.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:26 AM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
While the statements in the ad are true, it’s disingenous to say you get the same thrill from a video game and the words coming from someone who probably never played such games. Yes, there is an excitement to playing racing video games but not near the feeling of actually driving a car fast. Even a slow car driven hard is more exciting than a racing video game. Sadly there are very few places today where one can experience such real world thrills anymore.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:33 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Well, I think the most telling automobile ad of all time (whatever "telling" means) is probably "Somewhere West of Laramie" - the ad that invented the whole concept of selling the sizzle, not the steak.

Hint: "All Time" does, in fact, go back further than 2005.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
While the statements in the ad are true, it’s disingenous to say you get the same thrill from a video game and the words coming from someone who probably never played such games.

Didn't watch the video but a game like Gran Turismo can be quite close, especially using VR headset. I've found myself doing odd things like bracing for impact before hitting a wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vgg2eU_T0E

Old 01-28-2019, 09:41 AM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Didn't watch the video but a game like Gran Turismo can be quite close, especially using VR headset. I've found myself doing odd things like bracing for impact before hitting a wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vgg2eU_T0E
Do you feel the lateral g when cornering? Do you feel the acceleration pushing you into your seat? Do you feel the engine screaming? Do you feel the wheels about to loose lateral grip in the corner? Do you feel the hard braking before a sharp turn followed by the push through the end of the turn? Even a winding country road can give more excitement than a video game even with VR goggles. One incorporates all five senses and the entire body while the other incorporates the eyes and ears alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive