Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 05:22 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,414,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
So how do those vehicles get holes then?
Gun shots lol older vehicles yes newer vehicles not so much i live in snow county and i see surface rust because the owner never took care of it. Haven’t seen holes in a 5 year old vehicle. And I’ve seen vehicles get repaired with non manufacture panels also like those from JC Whitney. And if you read your owners manual they tell you how to take care of your vehicle. You know that manual that no one ever reads that just sits in the glove box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2019, 06:03 PM

1,002 posts, read 916,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Gun shots lol
Can't say I miss that about Detroit.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I wouldn’t know i live in the suburbs but i worked in Detroit , hanging out Downtown now is a blast best craft beer in the country, going to see the Tigers, redwings, and pistons, and lions. Hanging out i Detroit is different than it was before Detroit is on a big comeback you can’t even buy commercial property it’s all sold to developers.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:36 PM

21 posts, read 13,598 times
Icy roads and bridges are rare around here (Greenville, SC) and the roads are almost never salted. Car body rust is rare and 30+ year old cars on the road are fairly common. My old 1967 Plymouth Belvedere was still on the road the last time I saw it (about 4 years ago) and it was still rust free.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:38 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,736,120 times
Quote:
Yeah - I had guns pulled on me, bricks thrown at my car when driving through neighborhoods, and an attempted car jacking when I lived there in the late 80's early 90s. I didn't leave the house without a gun.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:46 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,736,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
They refute because they know you are full of it because many work for the big 3 and know better than someone who has no clue on how vehicles are made.
Again, what? I've pretty much built my career over the last 30 years working first on the line at GM (UAW Local 22) (Hamtramck, building Sevilles, Eldorados, and Allantes), then in plant floor automation throughout GM, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Land Rover, Volvo, etc. Spent considerable time in 33 of GMs manufacturing, stamping, and engine plants worldwide. Helped build the software that runs GM's plant floor operations, supply chain, logistics, and automation as well as building the integration of their SAP systems at all levels. Did the same for Ford, Nissan, and Toyota.

So, yeah, no experience in a car plant.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Yeah - I had guns pulled on me, bricks thrown at my car when driving through neighborhoods, and an attempted car jacking when I lived there in the late 80's early 90s. I didn't leave the house without a gun.
Yep the old neighborhoods are still like that but downtown is pretty safe. Just like Chicago you don’t go and visit the south side you stay downtown.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Again, what? I've pretty much built my career over the last 30 years working first on the line at GM (UAW Local 22) (Hamtramck, building Sevilles, Eldorados, and Allantes), then in plant floor automation throughout GM, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Land Rover, Volvo, etc. Spent considerable time in 33 of GMs manufacturing, stamping, and engine plants worldwide. Helped build the software that runs GM's plant floor operations, supply chain, logistics, and automation as well as building the integration of their SAP systems at all levels. Did the same for Ford, Nissan, and Toyota.

So, yeah, no experience in a car plant.
That’s cool to bad they are shutting down their poletown plant. Then you worked their when the cadillac allanté was being built and the bodies were being built by Pininfarina in Italy and flown back to metro airport on special 747 planes. Did you live in Detroit or Hamtramck. You worked at GM at the same time my father did he was skilled tradesmen Carpenter at their Fisher Body plant on fort street in Detroit, right down the street from the Clark street Cadillac assembly plant. When my father retired GM retired his carpenter classification he was the last skilled trade carpenter that GM had.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:05 AM

1,062 posts, read 980,131 times
Well SUVs are easier to clean, especially if they are truck based SUVs and don't have the cladding underneath. If salt gets on my Volkswagen Golf's unibody I don't have good access to wash it off

Old 02-11-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Well SUVs are easier to clean, especially if they are truck based SUVs and don't have the cladding underneath. If salt gets on my Volkswagen Golf's unibody I don't have good access to wash it off
That’s why you go to a car wash that has a undercarriage wash system to clean the unibody. Or lay on your back and spray with a hose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive