Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 06:26 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times

Advertisements

I don’t change mine eithe because Cabin air filters were only introduced in cars that were built after the year 2000 I’ve never had a problem. Been driving before they were even in vehicles never had problems before , i always drive with my window down a crack. That’s why i miss side vent windows. To me cabin air filters are useless because what did people do before because i can’t tell the difference from the vehicles i drove in the 90’s and my 2018 in interior air quality.

Last edited by easy62; 02-24-2019 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 06:40 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I don’t change mine eithe because Cabin air filters were only introduced in cars that were built after the year 2000 I’ve never had a problem. Been driving before they were even in vehicles never had problems before , i always drive with my window down a crack. That’s why i miss side vent windows. To me cabin air filters are useless because what did people do before because i can’t tell the difference from the vehicles i drove in the 90’s and my 2018 in interior air quality.
Ever pull the heater core from a car before cabin air filters?

Old 02-24-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Ever pull the heater core from a car before cabin air filters?
I never had a problem with a heater core in any of the 50 plus vehicle I’ve had since the early 70’s, how did vehicles survived before the cabin air filter was installed. Most heater core problems come from not flushing the cooling system in older vehicles, or people useing that otc coolent sealers like bars leak.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
I never had a problem with a heater core in any of the 50 plus vehicle I’ve had since the early 70’s, how did vehicles survived before the cabin air filter was installed. Most heater core problems come from not flushing the cooling system in older vehicles, or people useing that otc coolent sealers like bars leak.
I’m talking about the debris that collects outside the heater core.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I’m talking about the debris that collects outside the heater core.
Never effected the performance of the heater core, don’t you think that if a cabin air filter was so crucial that they would of used then since the start of the modern vehicles heating system like in the 60’s.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Never effected the performance of the heater core, don’t you think that if a cabin air filter was so crucial that they would of used then since the start of the modern vehicles heating system like in the 60’s.
It reduces the air flow. How much it effected air flow depends on where you live and where you park your vehicle. I once had a used car with low air flow. When the mechanic pulled the core it was covered in a combination of spider webs, crumbles of dead leaves, pine needles, dry cut grass, and dust. Cars of decades ago weren’t expected to last very long before the owner replaced it. AC was t even common among vehicles until the 1970s and even then it was an option on many models. It was in the 80s that AC became a standard feature on virtually all models.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:30 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Good grief. Saving $20 once a year isn’t worth the possibility of putting in something that does not work in its nonintended application.

With my truck, the labor is the expensive part. The filter is not so bad, and I just replace it myself to save something like an hour of shop mechanic time, which is heck of a lot more than $20. And then I know it got done right.

The cabin air filters for my truck would fit in the compartment right side up or upside down, BUT only one of them is correct. The filters actually have arrows printed on them. They are meant to pass air through in a designation direction.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:56 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
I have to agree with some one a little bit. Drove for decades with vehicles that didnt have cabin air filters. Never had a problem with the heater core clogging up limiting air flow. But my last 2 vehicles did have them, and I changed them every so often. Sometimes just a quick cleaning with compressed air does the job, along with a quick look around inside there to see if it missed anything. They're cheap and not that difficult to change, and just surprised at what you can find in the filter.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:37 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
They filter the air inside the cabin. They also keep the interior a lot less dusty, which is the primary reason I like them, I've had cars before without the cabin filter and they all get a lot more dirty inside, a lot quicker, than newer cars do.

Are they necessary? No. Are they a good idea? Hell yes they are.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:05 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
As an FYI to all, you should also learn the specs of your cabin air filter as some vehicles use standard engine air filters as cabin filters. One vehicle's engine air filter may be another vehicle's cabin air filter. When labeled as an engine air filter it may be $3 while that same filter in a box labeled as a cabin air filter is jumps to $5.

I've changed a lot of cabin filters over the years and have never seen one remotely large enough to be used as an engine air filter. I've also changed a lot of engine air filters over the years and have never seen one remotely small enough to be used as a cabin air filter. And it's been probably 40 or 50 years since you could buy an engine air filter for $3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive