Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2019, 07:16 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
A lot of people park on the street, emphasize a lot, no charging there. I don't think the plugs to connect to charge are standardized. Here they want you to do laundry at night and turn your air conditioning down because they don't have enough electricity and they want to go to renewable electricity which means even less and there is only a handful of electric cars now compared to what they want.

They are - sort of. Tesla has their own, and the rest use 1 of 4 standards (depending on the charging type provide 1, 2, and 3). The J1772 plug is probably the most common plug you'll find. I believe most non-Tesla's use this, and the Tesla's have an adapter that comes with every car. So there no issues charging your Tesla at a Wegmans or hotels that may offer charging stations.

There is also an adapter for Tesla destination chargers. So if you drive your non-Tesla to a friend who has a Tesla, you can use that adapter to charge your car via their Tesla wall charger.

The Tesla Superchargers are only compatible for Tesla vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 07:57 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Battery degradation is one of my biggest concerns with EVs. Heat kills lithium ion batteries, and where I live its pretty much impossible to avoid. If you use your EV to drive to work it’s going to be sitting in a hot parking lot all day long where temps can get up to 110 degrees. Another battery killer is ‘deep discharges’, which again, if you do a lot of driving it’ll be pretty hard to avoid that.

This article says the Bolt’s battery is only warrantied to 60% original life at 100k miles, and the Leaf’s is warrantied to 75%.
https://www.energysage.com/electric-...e-for-top-evs/

That’s not acceptable to me. Imagine buying a ICE powered car being told that your range on a full tank could be reduced by 30% at 100k miles.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:03 AM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
When I started driving my first hybrid car years ago I was ahead of the game. I wasn't ahead of the game for long as soon afterward tons of people were driving hybrid cars. Now with my second hybrid car I am back ahead of the game a bit as the hybrid I drive now is a plug in where I can charge the traction battery and with a fully charged traction battery I can get about twelve miles with using no gas. While there are millions of hybrid cars on the road now I've only seen about fifteen plug in hybrids including mine.
Porsche has three, Cayenne, Panamera, and 918.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:07 AM

17,603 posts, read 17,635,928 times
[quote=southernnaturelover;55019243]Battery degradation is one of my biggest concerns with EVs. Heat kills lithium ion batteries, and where I live its pretty much impossible to avoid. If you use your EV to drive to work it’s going to be sitting in a hot parking lot all day long where temps can get up to 110 degrees. Another battery killer is ‘deep discharges’, which again, if you do a lot of driving it’ll be pretty hard to avoid that.

This article says the Bolt’s battery is only warrantied to 60% original life at 100k miles, and the Leaf’s is warrantied to 75%.
https://www.energysage.com/electric-...e-for-top-evs/

That’s not acceptable to me. Imagine buying a ICE powered car being told that your range on a full tank could be reduced by 30% at 100k miles.[/QUOTE

Yep. I’d love to see how well the range is when the AC is running full blast trying to cool the car or the heater running full blast to warm the car. Then add all the electronic devices people plug into today’s cars.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:09 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Oh, I think government will.
But it probably won't be the government you're thinking of and there won't be a damn thing you can do about it.
Automakers are global corporations and they'll make what makes the most sense globally.
Then will the automakers build the electric generation plants, and infrastructure needed to fuel EV's? We don't have the electric generation, and distribution necessary to power EV's in large numbers. We don't have the charging stations, nor time to sit and wait for the charging to occur. EV's aren't necessary. It is a solution looking for a problem. It is largely just a feel good, social comment.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:15 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

Yep. I’d love to see how well the range is when the AC is running full blast trying to cool the car or the heater running full blast to warm the car. Then add all the electronic devices people plug into today’s cars.
I don't know. Recently on yet another EV thread one of the boosters said that the heated seats and steering wheel are enough when it's cold.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:28 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,220,188 times
Quote:
All electric cars are becoming more and more common. If everybody drove electric cars there would be far less air pollution and it would really save on oil and gas. My next car will probably be all electric.

Let me ask you a few questions.
Do you have a house with a garage?
Do you anticipate having the garage space mentioned above through out the useful life of the car?

Do you live less than 60 miles from work?
Will you be able to plug that car in every night?
Are there spaces at work where you will be able to charge the car and leave it there for the day?
Do you like to take long drives into the middle of nowhere?

Some of the questions above are vital to owning an electric car.

If you answered no to any of the vital questions, consider a hybrid. I use to live 50 miles from work and got 42 mpg with my hybrid. I'm retired now and get 38 mpg. I drive less, so my hybrid battery doesn't get the benefit of regenerative wheel rolling.

I love my hybrid, and I didn't need to drive a tiny car to do it. Since I bought my car six years ago, hybrid technology (gas mileage) has improved.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:30 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
[quote=victimofGM;55019330]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

Yeah, combine the degradation in a hot climate with the a/c always running and I can’t imagine what the range of a 5 year old car would be.

Just about everything I have ever owned that’s rechargeable has been a disappointment after a few years, it doesn’t matter if it’s nickel metal hydride or lithium ion. I’m not convinced EVs would be any different.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:34 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,220,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Halbach View Post
I have no interest, zero, in owning or driving an electric car. I enjoy the power and sound of the internal combustion engine. I frankly do not care whether it would save gas or oil...I'm going to drive what I want...when i want....and for as long as I want. It's my money, my time, and my life.

If you want an electric car...have at it. I will not be joining you.

-G

I guess that if Dick Cheney and the Koch brothers need to bleed someone dry, it might as well be you.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:47 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Quote:
If everybody drove electric cars there would be far less air pollution
Fossil fuels are still burned to produce electricity in the USA. Driving an electric car just shifts to source of pollution from your tailpipe to a smokestack somewhere within a few hundred miles of where the charging takes place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive