Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2019, 01:06 PM

485 posts, read 967,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I find it's much easier getting in and out of a Subaru Outback or Forester than my Hyundai Sonata. In fact, my Sonata will almost certainly be the last sedan I ever own. My wife has a 2018 Outback and she says the same thing.
Funny you say that as we HAVE a Sonata ('10) and are looking to replace our other car (minivan) with a Forester or Outback. Mainly for my wife whose top issues include getting in and out of the car. She does have a few problems with the Sonata, I don't mind too much. I love the Sonata as a basic vehicle and it seems very roomy, even in the trunk. Still want an SUV that is more nimble than the van but can still carry loads when necessary (and kayaks on the top). The Outback or Forester rises to the top in our book. Choosing between them might be the hardest decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 02:46 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,111,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Well some on here think pickups are a fad and sedans will make a comeback and Tesla is doing great lol lol.

If gas prices spike through the roof, sedans may very well make a comeback, even if it short-lived.

What makes you think Tesla isn't doing great now and won't do great in the long term?

Do you think the "Big 3" are too big to fail, without government help?

History says otherwise.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:51 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,124,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
If gas prices spike through the roof, sedans may very well make a comeback, even if it short-lived.

What makes you think Tesla isn't doing great now and won't do great in the long term?

History says otherwise.
Maybe because they haven't turned a profit and rely on Government subsidies to exist...4.9 Billion so far between his [Musk's] companies.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:56 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,865,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
Funny you say that as we HAVE a Sonata ('10) and are looking to replace our other car (minivan) with a Forester or Outback. Mainly for my wife whose top issues include getting in and out of the car. She does have a few problems with the Sonata, I don't mind too much. I love the Sonata as a basic vehicle and it seems very roomy, even in the trunk. Still want an SUV that is more nimble than the van but can still carry loads when necessary (and kayaks on the top). The Outback or Forester rises to the top in our book. Choosing between them might be the hardest decision.
FYI my father and another elderly friend tested about 30 different cars to find the easiest to get in and out of when you are older and stiff. For both of them the Buick Encore was the clear winner. May be worth checking it. Encore is also very inexpensive. Chevy Trax is the same car almost. Encore is a little nicer, although for my dad, the Encore was cheaper (he leases).

Old 05-13-2019, 02:57 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,692,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Personally I don’t see the point in having a gas hog SUV myself most carry two people and not much else.
I see VW Sportwagens all over the place here. Let me ask you this. Do you NEED or WANT a new car? We tend to buy good used cars I refuse to pay 30K plus for a new car myself. Unless you drive it to the wheels far off why have one? My wife has a 07 Outback and intends to drive it until the engine blows. GM order and dodge are giving people what they want in my opinion, they understand the market in the market says trucks and SUVs is what people want. Even if they have to go in debt for it.
I needed my new car (got a hybrid), but the wifey can just keep the 2008 because we aren't putting many miles on it. It has 105K and it's the 6-banger so the engine prob won't fall apart like the 4.

We have the funds so have no problem juicing the economy - and, there is a truism about safety. That is, the newer machines have lots of features that might make the difference between life and death or a month in the hospital or walking out after a quick checkup!

Everyone knows that health is priceless. So, from that angle...and especially as we age....if 30K buys more odds that we will survive crashes, it may be a better investment than sitting in an account and passing down to the kids.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:07 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,111,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Maybe because they haven't turned a profit and rely on Government subsidies to exist...4.9 Billion so far between his [Musk's] companies.
So did Chrysler in the 80s and GM in the early 2010s.

However, you don't talk foolish crap about them.

How strange.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:08 PM

6,739 posts, read 4,426,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
They have burned through some money aright but what they have created is phenomenal.

Another one of their limiting factors to sell great numbers. There are about 16 states that wont allow Tesla to have dealerships, along with 9 states that limit the number of stores to just 1. Some states wont even allow service centers.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:08 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,692,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I find it's much easier getting in and out of a Subaru Outback or Forester than my Hyundai Sonata. In fact, my Sonata will almost certainly be the last sedan I ever own. My wife has a 2018 Outback and she says the same thing.
I can see that point - I drove trucks and minivans most of my "family" life and I always enjoyed the high driving position. In 2010 I bought my first sedan ever (I was 56 years old!). It was a Passat and I loved that thing to death.....it held as much as as the small SUVs, got 32 MPG on the highway and everyone in the family agreed it was the best riding machine of the bunch here.

My daughter is disabled and she loved my Passat - but now she is further so and has a hard time getting into and out of sedans.

So I do see the point for less agile drivers. BUT, being as I am typically in the car driving for a much longer period than I am getting in an out, I am still a sedan or wagon (or relatively low COG) guy until I have to.

MPG is becoming very important to more people....and it also seems most of the lifted vehicles don't get the higher marks.

Our 2008 6 subaru gets 21 at best...and probably 17 around town.

I wouldn't want to be in the vehicle biz these days....in a sense they put themselves out of business by building such reliable machines. They are also caught up in a bit of an anti-materialistic streak that many millennials have - and the ride sharing also. There is always a big market in transportation but it won't be the same as in the past in terms of vehicle sales.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:17 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,124,472 times
Quote:
So did Chrysler in the 80s and GM in the early 2010s.

However, you don't talk foolish crap about them.

How strange.
Chrysler paid back the Government backed LOAN quicker than expected. A LOAN is not the same thing as being subsidized. Tesla has NEVER made a profit. Chrysler and GM have been around a long time on their own dime...not Musk!

FWIW, the Bush/Obama payouts were all wrong! I didn't support any of them.

You're getting triggered too easily.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:44 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,995,751 times
Quote:

History says otherwise.
Tesla loses money. In fact, theyve never posted a yearly profit. Only once did they make money 2 quarters in a row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive