Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 09:43 PM

9,424 posts, read 11,185,116 times

Advertisements

I'd also look at a Soul. I have one, I've had nothing but good service from three of them. I've seen them advertised crazy cheap in Illinois for some reason, on Autotrader. Don't know if the dealers get extra mob money or if they're just doing come-ons, but it's several dealers.

Soul has lots more space, lots of head room, limo-like rear leg room, it will hold more of the stuff that you haul off to college. Base wheel is 16" vs 15" which means a winter tire/wheel package will probably cost a little more, but it also means you'll have a better selection of winter tires.

I believe 15s will also fit, though. Go with steel wheels if you buy new. You might come across what you need at a salvage yard. But if you don't know much about cars, be wary and take someone who's versed in the subject with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 05:14 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,576,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I would not do this for any vehicle purchased from a reputable dealer that is still under a bumper to bumper warranty.
You should have a used car checked out regardless where you buy it. Dealers are no different. They have guidelines on the acceptable wear so you may buy a car that needs pads and tires in 10/15k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
If you invested $6K more in a $5500 car in only 4 years or so, you need a brand new car with a warranty. You are what the car shops love to see, someone who is at their complete mercy.
People need to stop calling repairing a car investing in a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
For somebody who has no experience of vehicles I wouldn't recommend buying from a private seller on Craigslist. Sure it will be a bit cheaper than a dealer but the risks are higher if you don't really know what to look for. That is probably better for folks who know a lot about cars and who can detect a good car from a bad car.
That’s why you have a mechanic check it out. I bought a used Kia from a lady. Drove 35,000 miles the first year. 20k into owning it I had to do brakes tires and shocks, but I knew the tires were due. Shocks really were ok but I got a good set on clearance so I did them. No big deal I can do the work so it didn’t cost anything but parts cost. It’s my daily driver. I paid 2800 for it.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:47 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,821,832 times
First of all, I would stay away from cars like a Yaris, Elantra or Rio. I would look at something like a Civic or Corolla. Or maybe look a few years older and find a Accord or Camry. With a 15k budget I would stay away from something new. Anything in that range is gonna be the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality and reliability.

Just by doing a quick search on Car Gurus I found a 2016 Camry for $14.9k with only 35K miles, 1 owner and clean Carfax. I'm sure you could get a solid 10 years out of that car with minimal repairs, only routine maintenance.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:56 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,264,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Just by doing a quick search on Car Gurus I found a 2016 Camry for $14.9k with only 35K miles, 1 owner and clean Carfax. I'm sure you could get a solid 10 years out of that car with minimal repairs, only routine maintenance.
This OP should not be buying any car that doesn't have a warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton_LF View Post
So what would be better option for me taking in account that i am short in money but also i am not ready to deal with malfunctions
Buy one of the brands with a 5/60 warranty.
OP needs certainty that he will not pay, not an empty promise that it'll be ok. There are several to choose from.
That means, KIA, Hyundai or Mitsubishi. The upfront cost (this OP is short on money NOW, no need to put him in debt) is likely to be lower as well.

I'd buy this:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3017/overview/
Well equipped year old Soul, clean AutoCheck, less than $14K, 40K miles of B to B warranty left, in Iowa City.

Last edited by eaton53; 06-24-2019 at 09:42 AM..

Old 06-24-2019, 10:40 AM

599 posts, read 499,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
First of all, I would stay away from cars like a Yaris, Elantra or Rio. I would look at something like a Civic or Corolla. Or maybe look a few years older and find a Accord or Camry. With a 15k budget I would stay away from something new. Anything in that range is gonna be the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality and reliability.

Can't image where you get that idea? I have know friends that have driven thing like the Yaris and Elantra for over a decade of trouble free use, and they are still rolling. Not quite sure how you decided that price is the determining factor in quality and reliability, but you're wrong. There is no reason to think that moving up the ladder in MSRP automatically gives a buyer improved quality or reliability. You can spend a lot more on FCA, VW and Nissan crap, and end up with a vehicle that is inferior to a Toyota or Hyundai for $15K.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:09 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,264,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
I have know friends that have driven thing like the Yaris and Elantra for over a decade of trouble free use, and they are still rolling.
BIL just got rid of his 2004 Optima. Bazillion miles on it, rusty, nasty lookin', runs.
He inherited his wife's newer Optima. She got a loaded Soul, because CUV and warranty.

No need to go Toyota/Honda, especially out of warranty Toyota/Honda, when you can't afford to pay for any repairs.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:43 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,863,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
There are deals on new cars now as the dealerships are closing out the 2019s and there may be 2018s left in stock, so you may be able to get a brand new car for 15K or less. Last year I bought a leftover brand new 17 Kia price was around 14000, sticker price was near 19000. Check dealer web sites most will list all their inventory and often sale prices, this was how I found my car, it wasn't listed on Autotrader.
This is very much the case, and among the big Japanese players, there often isn't much of a price difference between brand new with full warranty and a 1-3 year old vehicle, especially if a dealer is trying to clear out old new inventory.

If you're really wanting AWD, the Subaru Impreza is a good little car, if not particularly zippy by modern standards, and the CVT is set up to get better mileage than you'd expect for an AWD/4WD vehicle.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:59 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,690,607 times
id buy whatever i could afford. Low mileage used vehicles under 50-60000 miles should be ideal. My only caveat is to check for timing chains vs timing belts. Some imports, and i guess some domestics have timing belts made of plastic and they are prone to failure which would be costly. Do some reading on this matter-toyota, honda, hunday, kia.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:41 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,821,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
Can't image where you get that idea? I have know friends that have driven thing like the Yaris and Elantra for over a decade of trouble free use, and they are still rolling. Not quite sure how you decided that price is the determining factor in quality and reliability, but you're wrong. There is no reason to think that moving up the ladder in MSRP automatically gives a buyer improved quality or reliability. You can spend a lot more on FCA, VW and Nissan crap, and end up with a vehicle that is inferior to a Toyota or Hyundai for $15K.
I know people that have owned Rio's, Accent's, and other cheap subcompact cars and they have been junk. But hey, to each their own. I would take a used Honda or Toyota over these any day.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:48 PM

249 posts, read 196,495 times
If you decide to buy a used car, you MUST take it to a separate dealership to have it checked out. Don't tell them who's selling it. I've purchased many used cars, but I've taken them to unaffiliated mechanics to be thoroughly checked first.

They'll provide comprehensive reports, but it's not free. It's well worth $150 I've paid (most recently).

If the seller (individual or dealership) won't allow that, then move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive