Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 09:54 PM

3,209 posts, read 3,599,231 times

Advertisements

"The maximum amount that Illinois dealers can charge in 2019 for documentary preparation fees is $179.81, the Illinois attorney general's office announced Dec. 12. The $3.87 increase over the 2018 maximum fee reflects a 2.2 percent rise in the federal Consumer Price Index for the 12-month period ending Nov. 30."

Something Illinois does right for a change!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 02:45 AM

6,954 posts, read 3,992,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Here in MA, dealers have a supply of plates and a secure connection to the RMV. No car leaves a MA dealership without a plate as the RMV doesn't offer temporary plates.
Same thing in NY. The only "temp" thing on the car when it leaves the lot is the registration on the windshield. The DMV mails out the permanent registration sticker to the owner.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:49 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,592,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillinICT View Post
Geez. 7 pages of responses, so far
A hotter topic than you would think!

Old 07-21-2019, 07:39 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,472,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
A hotter topic than you would think!
What the difference between a dealer license plate frame and a pice of clothing promoting a beer or a resort still promoting their business.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:41 PM

3,575 posts, read 2,905,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
What the difference between a dealer license plate frame and a pice of clothing promoting a beer or a resort still promoting their business.
Not much but there is some.
First, I don't keep dealer plates and I rarely wear branded clothing.
2nd, the dealer plates are usually cheap plastic and I wouldn't want them even if they didn't have their name on it.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:14 PM

3,209 posts, read 3,599,231 times
Quote:
In fairness, the difference is that people have an emotional attachment to a beer, and others might want to wear something that says they were at a resort. Very few people are emotionally attached to or proud of the dealership where they acquired their car...

Old 07-22-2019, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
In fairness, the difference is that people have an emotional attachment to a beer, and others might want to wear something that says they were at a resort. Very few people are emotionally attached to or proud of the dealership where they acquired their car...
But it’s still free advertising for that company, so what’s the difference between wearing clothing with a company name on it like Budweiser, or Nike, and a license plate frame with the dealer name there, is none. That’s what I’m saying people say one thing and then do another without thinking about what they doing. It’s still free advertising no matter how you try and spin it, if it’s a T-shirt with a brand name on it or a dealer license plate frame. If you’re not willing to advertise a dealer than you should not be advertising a beer or a certain athletic brand either like Nike because you’re not being paid to promote their brand are you.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:02 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,422,389 times
Quote:
But it’s still free advertising for that company, so what’s the difference between wearing clothing with a company name on it like Budweiser, or Nike, and a license plate frame with the dealer name there, is none. That’s what I’m saying people say one thing and then do another without thinking about what they doing. It’s still free advertising no matter how you try and spin it, if it’s a T-shirt with a brand name on it or a dealer license plate frame. If you’re not willing to advertise a dealer than you should not be advertising a beer or a certain athletic brand either like Nike because you’re not being paid to promote their brand are you.

I agree with this, and it baffles me how many people hate the small dealer advertisements.

Not everybody hates their car dealer. Some people actually have relationships with them and may gladly buy many vehicles from the same one over several years.

How come the people who get so bent out of shape over dealers putting a sticker on the back of the car have no problem walking around with advertisements all over their shoes or ball cap or whatever?

Old 07-22-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
I agree with this, and it baffles me how many people hate the small dealer advertisements.

Not everybody hates their car dealer. Some people actually have relationships with them and may gladly buy many vehicles from the same one over several years.

How come the people who get so bent out of shape over dealers putting a sticker on the back of the car have no problem walking around with advertisements all over their shoes or ball cap or whatever?
Yes talk about 2 face.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:31 AM

11,763 posts, read 14,706,959 times
The last time I got stopped by police was a very young trooper who warned me about the dealer license plate frame. She had an FTO with her so I'm pretty sure he had just had her pull us over for practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive