Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 04:07 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Just leave your A/C off. Your odometer is run off your A/C.
What does it run off of if the car doesn't have AC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 09:00 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The OP asked this as a serious question, imagine how many people out there actually don't know this. I weep for society.
I doubt it. A large number of threads are posted for no other reason than to drive click counts.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:32 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I doubt it. A large number of threads are posted for no other reason than to drive click counts.
Why would OP post anything to drive City-Data click counts? He doesn't earn any money by doing so?
I think many people just don't know about many basic things. Yes... we should weep for society...

Old 07-20-2019, 04:46 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,003,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Why would OP post anything to drive City-Data click counts? He doesn't earn any money by doing so?
I think many people just don't know about many basic things. Yes... we should weep for society...
Siding with Elnina on this one, I've certainly noticed it in my day to day.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:29 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,521,600 times
It will certainly put wear on the vehicle but not milage..

Old 07-20-2019, 09:38 AM

19,037 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Nope mileage only increases when car is rolling but a lot of new cars today have hour meters built in the dash displays

According to GM fleet managers, 1hr of idling=30miles driven. Maintenance wise. Not odometer reading. Maintenance is based on miles driven AND hours engine was running. So they have simple formula. You idle 1 hr - they consider it 30 miles driven, for fleet servicing purpose.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:28 AM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
I asked but didn't get response from OP. I find that idling the car for hours to end, every day, very bizarre. Especially when he also said that he is trying to sell it....
Idling engines might just be a fool’s playground - it can wreak havoc on the engine’s parts.
Many people are, for reasons unknown, convinced that idling the engine for several minutes consumes less fuel than turning off and restarting it. Fact is, for every 2 minutes that a car is idling, it uses about the same amount of fuel that it takes to go nearly a mile.
I wonder how much gas is OP burning every day.
Plus, excessive idling can damage the car engine’s components, including spark plugs, cylinders and exhaust systems. Fuel residue buildup on cylinder walls. That gunk can foul the sparkplugs and muck up exhaust systems.
And I don't even want to mention the environment...
So, maybe I am missing something, but I can't think of any reason of doing that other that dumb.

Last edited by elnina; 07-20-2019 at 10:50 AM..

Old 07-20-2019, 05:07 PM

656 posts, read 1,375,900 times
You're overthinking this stuff. Just drive it

Old 07-20-2019, 06:16 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,237,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
This got me thinking. What's the hour rating of a car with 100,000 miles on it? At a 40 mph average, it takes only 2500 hours. There is idling of course but still, it's a lot less than I thought. How did you rack up 4000 hours?
I've got a lot of miles racked up.

01 VW Golf TDI - 298K miles
06 GM Duramax - 220K miles
07 Lexus Rx400h - 200K miles
13 Fiat 500e - 69K miles
13 Tesla Model S 85 - 76K miles

Road trips, LA/OC traffic commutes, hunting/fishing trips, and road closures waiting for the snow plow and salt truck can rack up time spent in the car. Believe it or not but I don't idle any longer than necessary...you'll never see me waiting at a drive-thru or idling in a parking lot.

The phenomenal thing about 69K miles in a Fiat 500e implies that it's been plugged in and unplugged well over 1,500 times given it only gets ~83miles on a full charge.

Old 07-21-2019, 11:59 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I asked but didn't get response from OP. I find that idling the car for hours to end, every day, very bizarre. Especially when he also said that he is trying to sell it....
Idling engines might just be a fool’s playground - it can wreak havoc on the engine’s parts.
Many people are, for reasons unknown, convinced that idling the engine for several minutes consumes less fuel than turning off and restarting it. Fact is, for every 2 minutes that a car is idling, it uses about the same amount of fuel that it takes to go nearly a mile.
I wonder how much gas is OP burning every day.
Plus, excessive idling can damage the car engine’s components, including spark plugs, cylinders and exhaust systems. Fuel residue buildup on cylinder walls. That gunk can foul the sparkplugs and muck up exhaust systems.
And I don't even want to mention the environment...
So, maybe I am missing something, but I can't think of any reason of doing that other that dumb.
Well, you and others on here are missing something. OP said he wanted to run it once a week, not daily. I agree that he should just get a little battery charger, probably a solar trickle charger.

Or, if the battery is really discharging that fast, he should find out why and fix it. If it's a weak battery, buy a cheap battery and replace it. If it's a grounding problem, fix that. A car should be able to set unused for more than a month without draining the battery. I used to have summer and winter cars that would often set for several months at a time in storage, and I never had any problems with them discharging, not enough to notice anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive