Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 07:47 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
miles driven is based off TIRE revolutions, not engine revolutions. when you idle the engine you are getting zero mpg because you are not going anywhere.
No. It measures off the transmission. If you disconnect the drive shaft and run the car in gear without moving, you will log miles.

Engine hours will vary.

My truck has 5400 engine hours but only 168,000 +/- miles. That is because it idles a lot either to provide power, AC, or setting up to pull something. I have slept in the truck for hours with it running for heat or AC.
Jump start a lot of cars. Pulled a number of cars and suvs out of ditches and the like. Also if you go off road you will clock in a lot of engine hours but few miles because you are making very slow progress. I do not off road a lot, but some.

If you live in or near Los Angeles or similar you will log a lot of engine hours and very few miles. Whereas if you live in Montana, it will probably be the opposite.

It will vary for any car. the new stop start cars will have considerably lower engine hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 07:49 AM

11,117 posts, read 9,753,246 times
Why don't you just buy a trickle charger to keep the battery charged up? They cost about $20 on Amazon, or available at any auto parts store. No need to let the car idle in the garage. That's a good way to get carbon monoxide poisoning.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:51 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
If I turn on my car and let it idle for hours on end, does that count as "miles driven?" Example, I buy the car new with 0 miles. I idle the car for hours daily for a month. Over that time, will it actually show miles were driven because the engine/RPM was running? I am trying to sell a car and don't want to add mileage any further but do turn it on once a week so the battery does not die.
Just get a trickle charger (battery minder, float charger - lot of names). If you do not have a power source, get a solar one. It odes not take much to keep the battery charged. Also make sure you have real gas (non-ethanol) or add Stabil to your gas if you are going to leave the car sitting.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:28 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,253 times
Quote:
If I turn on my car and let it idle for hours on end, does that count as "miles driven?" Example, I buy the car new with 0 miles. I idle the car for hours daily for a month. Over that time, will it actually show miles were driven because the engine/RPM was running? I am trying to sell a car and don't want to add mileage any further but do turn it on once a week so the battery does not die.
No, that would count as engine hours. My GMC Sierra has an hour meter you can bring up in the center screen on the instrument cluster.

Most industrial equipment such as bulldozers, farm tractors, even lawnmowers count engine hours as a gauge of how much use the piece of equipment has seen.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:59 PM

6,976 posts, read 2,701,111 times
Quote:
But the logic of a car being driven is based off RPM itself, isn't it? How else does the car calculate mileage? It's gotta be based off a certain number of engine RPMs over time. There is no other way for the car to know how far you drove it then.

Cars engines SHOULD track by hours running instead of miles driven like an airplane or boat engine. Which car is the better deal? The 1 month old car driven from coast to coast a few times, or the 1 year old car with low miles, but sits in traffic for 2 hours a day?

Old 07-19-2019, 02:15 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
The OP asked this as a serious question, imagine how many people out there actually don't know this. I weep for society.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:23 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
The OP asked this as a serious question, imagine how many people out there actually don't know this. I weep for society.
I thought the same thing. ‘Miles’ means just that, MILES. It’s not possible to accumulate miles if you’re not moving.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:34 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
But the logic of a car being driven is based off RPM itself, isn't it? How else does the car calculate mileage? It's gotta be based off a certain number of engine RPMs over time. There is no other way for the car to know how far you drove it then.
mileage is based on wheel rotation.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:38 PM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I had to look at it a couple of times to make sure I was reading the question properly.

If all else fails, turn it into a simple math problem... miles per gallon.

300 miles using 10 gallons = 30 miles per gallon

0 miles using 10 gallons - 0 miles per gallon

Old 07-19-2019, 03:12 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Just leave your A/C off. Your odometer is run off your A/C.
What a relief! Here I was thinking it ran off my radio. I've been playing rock music and I was worried about running up the miles, so I changed to an easy-listening station so I could keep the mileage down. If I had to listen to one more elevator-music-song, I was going to drive off a bridge. Which brings up the next question......if I'm flying through the air, but the wheels are turning, does the odometer register the miles?

<snort>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive