Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 10:40 AM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Agree. Who wants to look through CD's to find something to listen too? Can't even imagine having a stack of CD's in my car...and I have a CD player. (although it was removed the following model year). Proudly Gen X and I burned all my CD's to MP3 years ago...and gave all my CD's away to some young kid on Craigslist a few weeks ago.
My entire music collection is on my phone and I use Blue Tooth to listen to it. It's not just the techy thing to do... its insanely convenient.

As for his 7 in 10 stat:
CARS.COM — Don’t throw that compact disc into the dustbin of history just yet. (But fax machines, wood-paneled basements and “Jersey Shore” can stay there.) Seven in 10 car shoppers still want a CD player as part of the electronics that comprise their car stereo, according to a new survey of in-market consumers by IHS Markit. And of that subset, 75 percent think a CD player should be standard in a car.

https://www.cars.com/articles/car-cd...1420695800638/

From 2017. I bet that number is lower today. And gets lower every month.
If you no longer own the CDs, you no longer have the right to use the music you ripped from them, and need to delete all the MP3s. At least that's the law. The license to listen th o th he music stays with the CD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 10:55 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
I agree with the OP about the spare.

Its a PITA, and I don't want to wait for AAA or anyone else. I'll get the tire changed myself and be on my way in ten-fifteen minutes thank you.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:57 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
NOTHING prevents you from buying a spare tire.
No place to put it.
The DEF tank in a Chevy Cruze Diesel takes up the entire spare tire well.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:13 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Blah, blah, blah! Same old tired nonsense I always hear from the millennials. 7 of 10 new car buyers still WANT a CD player in their car. I only have one friend who doesn't want one and she doesn't listen to music. I guess not everyone is into working so hard to get their music. LOL!

Now go back to wasting money on and playing with all your gadgets!

And besides....this post isn't about CD players. Can you even read or do you have to have a gadget to do that for you, too?
Quote:
I have the majority on my side (most buyers DO want CD players), so you can call me antiquated all you want. LOL!

And car buyers most definitely want spare tires.
Quote:
Reality is that 7 of 10 car buyers still want a CD player in their cars. Your stats are pretty irrelevant given that most people already have established their CD libraries over the years. I seldom buy a new CD anymore. When I do it is used. But I have hundreds of CDs that I want to listen to, as do many others that you ignore. Your stats are based purely on what the millennials and younger buy.

You are one of those guys that likes to follow whatever industry tells you to like. Go ahead and follow if it makes you feel better, but don't expect of us to be sheep.

My original post was about tires. You also appear to be someone who just likes to spend his time on the internet finding people to disagree with.
Where are you getting your stats that 7 out of 10 car buyers still want a CD player in their cars and when was that poll done?

I have a lot of CDs and I like them, but you can also get them ripped into a single device in which case you can have hundreds of CDs worth of music to play at any time without needing to do any streaming.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:36 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Everything in the world is owned by 132 families.
They are only interested in one thing - profit.
They don't care if you pay car manufacturer, dealer, repair shop, towing company , insurance company or hospital - they still profit from it.
Hence, there is very simple logic - why make something that will last long or prevents owner from paying someone else to do it for him?

It is called "bad business". Good business is to keep you on "I have to pay for everything" leash. No matter what's the matter - you are forced to pay someone.

There is simple way out. Buy olden car with full spare and little to none computers, heavy cast iron engine, everything else HEAVY and solid. You won't impress anyone with it (besides those, who know) but you will have none of the headaches you worry about.

Totally agree. I drive an 11 year old Honda sedan. Runs great, minimal upkeep, 90,000 miles. When this one dies, I'll get another used car without any bells and whistles, and it will have a spare tire.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:37 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I agree with the OP about the spare.

Its a PITA, and I don't want to wait for AAA or anyone else. I'll get the tire changed myself and be on my way in ten-fifteen minutes thank you.
AAA can take hours, even in cities. PITA, to say the least.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:17 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
What am I'm going to do with all these 8 tracks cassette.
What in hell is a CD Player

Old 09-16-2019, 05:56 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
No place to put it.
The DEF tank in a Chevy Cruze Diesel takes up the entire spare tire well.

I also have two cars with no place for a spare. They both came with a can of Fix-a-flat, and one actually included a compressor.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:26 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
CDs are legacy technology, passed in sales, along with buying and downloading MP3 files, by music streaming services. You can still listen to the radio, and for alternatives, most people subscribe to a music streaming service - like Spotify or Pandora, and receive that on their cell-phone and pipe it into the car's sound system using Apple Carplay or Android Auto integration. With Apple Carplay or Android Auto, you can also just go the website of any radio station in the country and pipe that into the car's audio system while you're on a road trip - you can stick with your fav station the whole time this way.

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/260966...aming-services
You can't imagine how PO'd I am that cars don't have 8-tracks any more! (J/K, I never had one or any 8-track tapes so who cares?)

If you need a spare, buy one. That's something I need to do, as well as replace the one in wife's car which is getting on in years.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:38 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,161,355 times
Quote:
My original post was about tires.
Quote:
It's bad enough that most new cars no longer come with CD players

Retrograde NIMBYs are fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive