Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 02:22 PM
KCZ

4,682 posts, read 3,681,032 times

Advertisements

If you want a new car, for whatever reason, you have to deal with a dealer. If everyone only bought used cars, sooner or later demand would outstrip supply and people would have to break down and return to buying new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 02:25 PM

686 posts, read 807,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
States like NC require new cars to be sold through dealerships. We have Tesla dealers because customers "are not allowed" to order directly from Tesla.
That’s a shame. I’m in SC and not sure about their laws but I bought my first and last new car in NC last year. Buying a new car is just stupid IMO. In NC just about Every dealer charges the state max of $800 for a non negotiable doc fee.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:13 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,125,509 times
Funny! I have never experienced what is being alleged here.

Perhap it has to do with YOU?

Sure, if you're b4roke and have no credit then you might get raked over the coals...at least from your perspective. I sold cars for awhile and couldn't tell you how many broke-@zz people came in wanting an Escalade but couldn't even afford a $2000 beater...then they didn't have money down or any type of credit score.

I walk into the dealer being able to outright purchase the vehicle, then negotiate whatever down is necessary to get my payment where I want it with whatever term they are offering 0% on.

On my current car, they were only offering 0% on a 36 month term so I put $20k down. I keep the rest of the money in a high yeild savings account and let them carry the 0% until term.

I special ordered my car, by the time it arrived, they had new rebates etc. They gave me the rebates that were in effect when I ordered then added the new rebates when I picked it up. It wound up being a few thousand dollars less than what I expected to pay.

Oh, and they never pushed any add on's on me...they mentioned them once and never again.

So, if you're having bad experiences, either you know nothing about how to deal or you're one of those broke-@zzed people who go through life as victims of your own ignorance and lack of discipline...or both!

I'd bet life is always unfair and you're always getting the short end with many other facets of life and not just dealerships!

Old 10-08-2019, 03:15 PM

19,071 posts, read 27,655,039 times
You want fix?
STOP BUYING.
Done.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:23 PM

216 posts, read 180,345 times
Buy via Costco

Old 10-08-2019, 03:31 PM

5,753 posts, read 4,716,020 times
I hear about these antics, but honestly never experienced it.

I usually buy one or two cars per year, and I always research to know exactly what I want (make, model, color, options), and then I contact a few dealers via email. The one with the best deal wins. I then tell them when I be there, and the car and paperwork are ready for me. I usually have to tell the finance mgr no to all his extra offerings (tire/wheel insurance, extended warranty, vin etching, etc). The whole process usually takes less than an hour.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:40 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,443,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
That’s a shame. I’m in SC and not sure about their laws but I bought my first and last new car in NC last year. Buying a new car is just stupid IMO. In NC just about Every dealer charges the state max of $800 for a non negotiable doc fee.
It's kind of like our inspections, here, too. Everyone charges the allowable max of $30 for 1996+ safety & emissions even though it's not required to charge that exact amount.

It's like a union, but managers turned against the employees. People with already so much power, and they stonewall any negotiation with bluffing and smoke and mirrors.

Had a coworker do just the opposite and drove from 3 hrs into NC out to Fort Mill to buy his truck for cash after a good overtime season one year. Money talks.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:51 PM

6,739 posts, read 4,428,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
It's kind of like our inspections, here, too. Everyone charges the allowable max of $30 for 1996+ safety & emissions even though it's not required to charge that exact amount.

It's like a union, but managers turned against the employees. People with already so much power, and they stonewall any negotiation with bluffing and smoke and mirrors.

Had a coworker do just the opposite and drove from 3 hrs into NC out to Fort Mill to buy his truck for cash after a good overtime season one year. Money talks.

Move to a state that doesnt have inspections. Buy used with cash and you're set.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:53 PM

686 posts, read 807,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Funny! I have never experienced what is being alleged here.

Perhap it has to do with YOU?

Sure, if you're b4roke and have no credit then you might get raked over the coals...at least from your perspective. I sold cars for awhile and couldn't tell you how many broke-@zz people came in wanting an Escalade but couldn't even afford a $2000 beater...then they didn't have money down or any type of credit score.

I walk into the dealer being able to outright purchase the vehicle, then negotiate whatever down is necessary to get my payment where I want it with whatever term they are offering 0% on.

On my current car, they were only offering 0% on a 36 month term so I put $20k down. I keep the rest of the money in a high yeild savings account and let them carry the 0% until term.

I special ordered my car, by the time it arrived, they had new rebates etc. They gave me the rebates that were in effect when I ordered then added the new rebates when I picked it up. It wound up being a few thousand dollars less than what I expected to pay.

Oh, and they never pushed any add on's on me...they mentioned them once and never again.

So, if you're having bad experiences, either you know nothing about how to deal or you're one of those broke-@zzed people who go through life as victims of your own ignorance and lack of discipline...or both!

I'd bet life is always unfair and you're always getting the short end with many other facets of life and not just dealerships!

Lol. You sound like someone that would sell cars. Way to fit the stereotype.

Old 10-08-2019, 03:58 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,248,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
More of a rant here :

When will buyers finally get fed up enough as a collective group and stop dealing with dealerships?! Buying a car is the worst buying experience ever!
Between unrealistic purchase prices,blind sales numbers, under allowing on trade, dealer mark up, doc/ dealer fees, and charging 10x the cost to process dmv paperwork.. Not to mention the wasted time you spend at the dealer when you actually want to buy something. the who process is a joke!

What is the percentage profit margin at a dealership? What about clothing stores, appliance stores, furniture stores, phone stores, bike shops, etx.?

Do you go into any other kind of store other than a dealership having researched their actual cost and trying to negotiate them down to below cost? You probably don't blink an eye that Apple makes $600 on that $800 iphone but we can't have a dealership making $500 on a $25k transaction, can we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive