Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2019, 01:52 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,854,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
I asked the F&I manager how many vehicles on average sold at their dealership monthly. She said around about 600 combined new and used. Their dealer doc fee on each vehicle is $800 (not including dmv and “other” fees listed for $244). They are basically making $480k per month or $5.7M per year in doc fees alone. That doesn’t include net profit on the front end, F&I product margins, or service and accessories. Dealers are doing just fine in today’s market.
Just because you were willing to pay a thousand dollars in fees don't make the mistake of believing everyone does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 02:05 PM

686 posts, read 807,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Just because you were willing to pay a thousand dollars in fees don't make the mistake of believing everyone does.
I don’t doubt there is an exception every once in a while but I would take the bet that if there is a doc fee on the paperwork, the buyer is paying it or they don’t buy the car. Dealers would rather lose the sale than scratch that out.

Last edited by Familyman6; 10-09-2019 at 02:19 PM..

Old 10-09-2019, 03:03 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,621,745 times
Quote:
I don’t doubt there is an exception every once in a while but I would take the bet that if there is a doc fee on the paperwork, the buyer is paying it or they don’t buy the car. Dealers would rather lose the sale than scratch that out.

You made a claim so why won’t you answer which dealership is moving 600 units on average a month in NC?

Old 10-09-2019, 03:39 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,962,370 times
Quote:
Lol. You would enjoy an argument, I’m not interested. I’m about as interested in arguing with you as I am in taking grammar lessons from you, asking for your political opinion, and listening to your fake financial success stories
So you're just interested in ranting.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:06 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,074,568 times
Quote:
Illinois' doc fee was originally $40.00 when the legislature allowed it (back in the 90's?), but it has gone up in recent years to about $180.00. I believe it is negotiable, just like everything else. I would pay it providing the rest of the numbers are favorable. But I wouldn't pay an $800 fee without the dealer knocking off at least $600 somewhere else, that's just extra profit. What did PT Barnum say again?

Old 10-09-2019, 04:22 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,962,370 times
Quote:
I dealt with a volume dealer in NC who’s doc fee was around $350 and they were 5% below invoice if you ordered from them.

The beauty of dealerships is they’re free to make a sale any way they want. Some would rather a car sit on the lot waiting for the perfect top dollar compulsive buyer, and some would rather make a very small margin and make it up on volume. If you were to buy from a place like Tesla, you would just pay full MSRP no matter what. Some people think that’s convenient but they’re still paying for that convenience just like walking into a dealership and offering full MSRP on any other car.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:02 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,854,034 times
Quote:
Any documentation fee listed is simply another point of negotiation. You apparently chose to accept it as listed and are guessing that is the only way to treat it. Dealers make zero dollars on sales they forfeit but still must pay that huge overhead.

Old 10-10-2019, 05:33 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,133,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Then find us another apple.

Builders reported an average of $16.2 million in revenue for fiscal year 2014, of which $13.2 million (or 81.1% of revenue) was spent on cost of sales (i.e. land costs, direct and indirect construction costs), thus leaving them with a gross profit margin of 18.9% ($3.1 million).

What's the Average Profit Margin of Single-family Builders? | Eye On Housing
Seriously?

Your trying to compare the guy who makes a home (and manages everyone involved) not to mention often taking the financial risk with the guy who gets fronted on credit a already complete (and advertised for them) complete product (that he can return to the 'builder ') to sell!!!?!?!?e

Old 10-10-2019, 06:07 AM

686 posts, read 807,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Any documentation fee listed is simply another point of negotiation. You apparently chose to accept it as listed and are guessing that is the only way to treat it. Dealers make zero dollars on sales they forfeit but still must pay that huge overhead.
You are right, you can negotiate it out of another line item (price or trade) but the doc fees will never leave the worksheet —- so at the end of the transaction you paid for the fees.

Old 10-10-2019, 06:16 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,434,227 times
Quote:
You are right, you can negotiate it out of another line item (price or trade) but the doc fees will never leave the worksheet —- so at the end of the transaction you paid for the fees.
I bet you hate Carmax no haggle prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive