Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 07:32 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,312 times

Advertisements

Thanks all, really appreciate the opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 08:03 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Yeah, I they're all hybrids. Some have plug-ins, some of the newest are AWD, but for $8,000 you'd probably just be looking at a 5 to 10-year-old front-wheel drive hybrid with no plug-in. Mine is a 2015 with 125K miles on it and has a some minor body damage, and I'd guess it's worth around $8,000. Maybe a little less with the body damage.

One of the best things about my Prius is its reliability. I have replaced a few "mud flaps" on it, as they seem to fall off, but other than that, the only unscheduled service has been for a 35-cent fuse, and the dealer replaced it for free. I've never had a vehicle as reliable, not even close. I drive 70-80 mph and generally average right about 45 mpg.

The Camry Hybrid would be a nice pick if you can find a clean one in your price range. Isn't the CT 200h a Lexus in Prius clothing? Maybe the little one? I'd prefer the full-sized Prius, which is a fairly nice car, even though it's best taken with a break every couple hours. I've also gotta add that a Camry Hybrid would be an excellent pick if you can find a good one for $8 grand. Even the standard Camry would be a good choice. Their mileage is in the high 30s.
My Prius is a 2010 with around 165k - inverter replaced by Toyota under recall - other than that just a wheel bearing.

For gas mileage/under $8k - practically impossible to beat a Prius with around 100k miles.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:32 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Prepaid Chevron card.

There's a reason people commute in trucks. Unless you've got a really long commute, and 8,000 miles/yr isn't, buying a commuter car for commuting and keeping your truck for other uses isn't economical. You're looking at an 8 year break-even and that's before insurance, registration on the penalty box even with California gas prices. If you're going to ditch the truck and just drive a penalty box maybe. If you're going to use it significantly more than 8,000 miles/year, maybe. Otherwise skip it and get a prepaid Chevron card.

If you're dead set on it, I wouldn't look at the Yaris or Sonic. The NVH on them is really high. CR-Z is just, well, tiny. Same NVH problems, might look sporty but isn't sporty. Move up to a compact (Civic, Corolla type vehicle). Maybe an older mid-size hybrid like a Camry although for $8,000 it's going to be old. Same for 2nd gen Prius. But old hybrid and battery, be prepared to shell out for a refurbished one. Not end of the world a refurbish pack is usually around $1,000 on the Prius and another $400 or so for install. Since we're talking ten years old battery replacement does need to be considered. I'd stay away from older Honda hybrids. The failure rates are around 10-20x that of Toyota hybrids. New ones hopefully are better, haven't looked at that since I bought the Prius. It's boring but at least it's fairly quiet and comfortable as long as the pavement is good. On broken pavement it's a drum. Outside the budget, but Avalon hybrid would make a very nice mile eater.

Last edited by Malloric; 10-15-2019 at 08:50 PM..

Old 10-15-2019, 08:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
No, I do see your point and am considering it....that's why it's nice to ask a question in the forums, it'll get you thinking ways that you may not usually.....
I’m 6 01 and I can tell you that the Optima was adequate big enough. That’s a midsize and about as small as you really want. As it is my shoulder was close to the B pillar. It was adequate. Just enough. Anything smaller and you’ll hate the ride and overall lack of comfort. . It was ok for my commute. My mom has a LeSabre and that thing was like driving a cloud. So is my Grand Marquis. Just a nice comfortable ride. For long trips it’s nice.

Small cars are noisy and made cheaply. They also tend to ride rough and lots of road noise due to lack of noise reduction materials. You need to think of road fatigue. A noisy car will tire you out on long drives. And small cars usually are noisy

Old 10-15-2019, 08:56 PM

170 posts, read 97,615 times
This is tough because all of the newer stuff I wouldn't touch used because of all the half baked technology 2011-16ish. You sound like you would be well served by a highway cruiser, if you're willing to look at older GM models sporting the 3800 2008 and earlier would be something I'd purchase (Park Ave, Lucerne, Lacrosse). Resale is zip so if you can find one its cheap and you could spend some coin on reconditioning (rubber, brakes, fluids, plugs, water pump) and have a 30+ mpg reliable comfy cruiser you don't have tons of money in.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Used Passat TDI (they are pretty nice to drive road trips
50mpg, (my B4V Passats (wagons) go 1250 miles between 'free fuel' donut shops)
500,000 mile service life

Go with a manual tranny.

For another decent choice... Ford Focus (~40 mpg)

Old 10-16-2019, 07:34 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
You are hearing some good arguments for just renting on your trips. Price out the Enterprise weekend specials.

Otherwise I'd say go back in time until you find a Corolla in your price range. They are the most comfortable cars I've rented. I love the C-max but doubt you would find one for $8K. The first year 2013 model has issues.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:18 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
This reminds of people who drive 3 miles to save 5 cents a gallon on gas. 360 miles@25mpg =14.5 gallons. @ 40mpg=9 gallons. At $2.80 cents a gallon, the difference is $25.20. Is $25.20 a MONTH worth so much haggling? Get what you like.
Except OP’s location is California so you better double that gas price. Suddenly the desire to get something more fuel efficient starts to make sense.

Old 10-16-2019, 08:30 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Except OP’s location is California so you better double that gas price. Suddenly the desire to get something more fuel efficient starts to make sense.
Thank you! Yes I am currently in CA, but these trips will be made from AZ back to CA so I can gas up in Yuma and not use that tank all up if I have a car with good enough mpg.....

Old 10-16-2019, 08:45 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I love the C-max but doubt you would find one for $8K. The first year 2013 model has issues.
I found a '14 pretty easily.
Probably could get a '15 if the miles were upped a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive