Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 08:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,733 posts, read 58,079,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Except OP’s location is California so you better double that gas price. Suddenly the desire to get something more fuel efficient starts to make sense.
Thus free fuel (since 1976) can be a benefit.

50 mpg on free fuel is just another bonus.

I vote for OP to pursue the Enterprise weekend option. (But the $9.95 cars are restricted to 150 miles / day + mileage fee over that) You can use CheapCars, Kayak, Hotwire to get bargains on rental cars.

I shoot for <$0.10 / mile for rental car cost (+ fuel)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 09:04 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Thus free fuel (since 1976) can be a benefit.

50 mpg on free fuel is just another bonus.

I vote for OP to pursue the Enterprise weekend option. (But the $9.95 cars are restricted to 150 miles / day + mileage fee over that) You can use CheapCars, Kayak, Hotwire to get bargains on rental cars.

I shoot for <$0.10 / mile for rental car cost (+ fuel)
Except OP is looking to buy, not rent. It’s a personal preference. Many people, myself included, prefer to drive a vehicle that is owned and not rented. For me it’s a hassle to arrange a rental as opposed to opening my garage and hopping in my own car.

Old 10-16-2019, 09:48 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Except OP is looking to buy, not rent. It’s a personal preference. Many people, myself included, prefer to drive a vehicle that is owned and not rented. For me it’s a hassle to arrange a rental as opposed to opening my garage and hopping in my own car.
Were not talking about a daily driver purchase. It’s a once a month trip.

The most financially efficient way is to simply drive a vehicle that you already own. If you’re afraid the vehicle will break down....what’s the difference between that and buying a used car for 8k? You’re still broken down but 8000 bucks lighter in the wallet. Car can still break down. You got fuel costs regardless what you do as far as rent or own. As far as mileage....stop worrying about the resale. I’m not keeping my miles low for the next guy.

There is a huge advantage to renting such vehicle for this purpose. The costs of buying a car for such single purpose is more than just mpg/fuel. But your answer (financially speaking) is to buy a car incurring initial acquisition costs, additional costs for insurance, fuel, maintenance and repairs? For a once a month trip?

Old 10-16-2019, 10:23 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,377,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

The most financially efficient way is to simply drive a vehicle that you already own. If you’re afraid the vehicle will break down....what’s the difference between that and buying a used car for 8k? You’re still broken down but 8000 bucks lighter in the wallet. Car can still break down. You got fuel costs regardless what you do as far as rent or own. As far as mileage....stop worrying about the resale. I’m not keeping my miles low for the next guy.

There is a huge advantage to renting such vehicle for this purpose. The costs of buying a car for such single purpose is more than just mpg/fuel. But your answer (financially speaking) is to buy a car incurring initial acquisition costs, additional costs for insurance, fuel, maintenance and repairs? For a once a month trip?
I acknowledge there may be a financial advantage to renting. My argument was to not discount the intangible benefits, such as the hassle associated with arranging a rental once a month, the piece of mind of driving something you own as opposed to driving someone else’s property, etc.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:26 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,715,012 times
$8 is almost up there for $11k Nissan Leaf.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:29 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
Get a Corolla. Much roomier than a Yaris and gets in the mid to high 30's, at least my 2010 does.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:45 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,837 times
Prius

Old 10-16-2019, 01:42 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,712 times
I had a strong 4-cyclinder used Camry that got 34 on the highway. The ultra-low maintenance made my Toy mechanic pissed. I put on 93,000 miles more than when I bought it and it still drove the same when I sold it.

It just kept going. kind of like the terminator it's mission (to drive) would not be stopped.

Old 10-16-2019, 02:30 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,800,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Well, that would be the primary reason for buying it, but once we owned it, I'm sure we would use it much more just to get around/do errands simply because of the mpg. This would leave the truck for truck stuff and the Jeep for Jeep stuff. I'm thinking having the extra vehicle would actually save money by cutting done on the usage of the more expensive vehicles....

Old 10-16-2019, 07:21 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
Quote:
I’dd add Toyota Prius to the mix. You should be able to find one in a similar model year range at around 8k. They get significantly better mileage than the three options you listed.
A Prius of the appropriate years would be a good car to consider. They are solid and reliable, as well as getting outstanding gas mileage.

Just beware that Prius (and most other hybrids and electrics) batteries tend to wear out after a number of years, and must be replaced. Cost is several thousand dollars to replace the drive battery, contact your local service center that does Priuses.

If you consider buying one, make sure the drive battery has already been replaced, preferably within the last year or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive