Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 03:20 PM

714 posts, read 724,086 times

Advertisements

I'm considering trading in my 2015 Corolla next year. I like the car; it's reliable, decent if unspectacular on gas (30 mpg with mostly local driving), and has some nice amenities (backup camera, sunroof, SiriusXM, and Toyota Entune). So why would I want to get rid of it? Because I cannot see over the dashboard and I cannot see over the headrests.

I am 4'9" tall. This has always been an issue, but I have lost some height and now I'm finding it nearly impossible to park even in a lot, because I can't see the (expletive deleted) lines.

I'm considering a small crossover/SUV like a Kia Soul or Niro, or the Hyundai Kona or similar. I wouldn't mind getting a hybrid, but I'd prefer not to have a plug-in, because I don't have a garage. I'd like something with a higher driving position, but not one where I have to either take a running start or hoist myself into the thing by my arms. Most SUVs are difficult for me to get into and I am no spring chicken at 65.

I don't drive much; maybe 5000-6000 miles a year because I'm retired. But reliability is important.

I'm interested if anyone has a similar issue and what you drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 03:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,616,728 times
You need a car with adjustable driver pedals and power seat. Most cars have a good adjustment for the seat forward movement.

Old 09-14-2020, 05:32 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,451,154 times
I'm 5'1" and this is a huge problem for me. I can only imagine how hard it is for someone shorter. I currently have an Explorer with the adjustable pedals and power seat, and I still can't see the hood of the car when I'm driving. It's a beautiful car, but I've considered getting rid of it because of that.

This sounds crazy, but by far, the car I had with the absolute best visibility for me was an Expedition. You would think bigger would be worse, but I could see everything. My Explorer was at the dealership for a recall recently, and they gave me loaner. It happened to be a new Expedition. And I instantly missed my old one and realized how bad the visibility in my Explorer is.

So, I'm not really much help other than to sympathize with you. My mom is only 5 feet tall and loves her Civic. Everyone I know who has a Soul loves them. My daughter (only 5'1.5") is learning to drive right now. They use a Soul at her driving school, and she likes it.

Old 09-14-2020, 06:30 PM

17,649 posts, read 17,763,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
I'm considering trading in my 2015 Corolla next year. I like the car; it's reliable, decent if unspectacular on gas (30 mpg with mostly local driving), and has some nice amenities (backup camera, sunroof, SiriusXM, and Toyota Entune). So why would I want to get rid of it? Because I cannot see over the dashboard and I cannot see over the headrests.

I am 4'9" tall. This has always been an issue, but I have lost some height and now I'm finding it nearly impossible to park even in a lot, because I can't see the (expletive deleted) lines.

I'm considering a small crossover/SUV like a Kia Soul or Niro, or the Hyundai Kona or similar. I wouldn't mind getting a hybrid, but I'd prefer not to have a plug-in, because I don't have a garage. I'd like something with a higher driving position, but not one where I have to either take a running start or hoist myself into the thing by my arms. Most SUVs are difficult for me to get into and I am no spring chicken at 65.

I don't drive much; maybe 5000-6000 miles a year because I'm retired. But reliability is important.

I'm interested if anyone has a similar issue and what you drive.
My wife claims to be 4 feet 10 inches tall. She has S curve scoliosis and we suspect she may have gotten shorter. She now drives a Hyundai Kona and has a seat cushion to raise her a few inches. She is long legs and short torso. Getting in and out is easy for her with her both knees replaced and she’s only 52. The safety features helps her reverse and stay inside her lane. We have a 2019 Kona SEL with the base 2.0L engine. It has enough acceleration for our needs and offered around 30 mpg. We don’t want fast acceleration because it puts pressure on her spine. She can occasionally drive my 2015 Elantra but she needs the driver’s seat raised as high as possible and a seat cushion. Strangely small crossovers offer better short driver visibility. I highly recommend visiting dealerships and sitting in the driver’s seat. If you can’t see once the seat is adjusted then move on. Some models to consider trying include Nissan Kicks, Nissan Rogue, Kia Seltos, Kia Sportage, (Kia’s version of the Kona), Kia Soul, Hyundai Venue, Hyundai Kona, Hyundai Tuscon, Honda HRV, Honda CRV, Toyota CH-R, Toyota RAV-4, Subaru Crosstrek, Mazda CX-3, Mazda CX-30, Mazda CX-5, Ford Ecosport, Ford Escape, Chevrolet Trax, Chevrolet Trailblazer, Chevrolet Equinox, Jeep Renegade, Jeep Compass, VW Tiguan, & VW Atlas Cross Sport.

Old 09-14-2020, 07:00 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,616,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I'm 5'1" and this is a huge problem for me. I can only imagine how hard it is for someone shorter. I currently have an Explorer with the adjustable pedals and power seat, and I still can't see the hood of the car when I'm driving. It's a beautiful car, but I've considered getting rid of it because of that.

This sounds crazy, but by far, the car I had with the absolute best visibility for me was an Expedition. You would think bigger would be worse, but I could see everything. My Explorer was at the dealership for a recall recently, and they gave me loaner. It happened to be a new Expedition. And I instantly missed my old one and realized how bad the visibility in my Explorer is.

So, I'm not really much help other than to sympathize with you. My mom is only 5 feet tall and loves her Civic. Everyone I know who has a Soul loves them. My daughter (only 5'1.5") is learning to drive right now. They use a Soul at her driving school, and she likes it.
My wife is 5’3” and she drives a QX56. It has the power pedal adjustment and the seat adjusts high abd firward.
Another friend is about 5’2” and she drives a Chrysler 300.

Doesn't your explorer have a height adjustment on the seat?

Old 09-14-2020, 09:00 PM

24,447 posts, read 23,121,323 times
I'm 6 feet tall so my driving experience is going to be different. But I found the KIA Soul to have an excellent drivers seat that is very adjustable. Its got an upright sitting position that reminds me of an office chair. Not plush or overly cushioned, but supportive. And its almost like an SUV with a higher driving height than I had in my old sedan. I tested a Chevy Cruze and hated the feeling of stepping down. This higher height makes entry and exit much easier and you're still not stepping up to get in.
Visibility is excellent. The steering wheel is standard tilt and telescoping on the base, too. Its got a short hood and parking is a breeze. The new KIA Seltos is a little bigger with a slightly higher ground clearance and has AWD available so that might be something you'd want.
I can't rate the Soul high enough on build quality, design and reliability. 6 years and no repairs other than new tires and a battery and oil changes. And the heating and cooling system, even the base radio are excellent. It was , and maybe still is, a great value.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:45 AM

852 posts, read 782,382 times
When we were searching for options for our 4’11” daughter, the Kia Soul was always on everyone’s list. Bought her one 4 years ago and it has been rock solid reliable and fun to drive with a manual transmission. It will even get to 100 mph....but takes awhile LOL

Old 09-15-2020, 09:01 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,478,028 times
Try a Honda HRV, Toyota CHR, or possibly a Prius V.

Small, low enough, more SUV-like ride and seat dynamics so you're not sitting in a tub the same way.

Old 09-15-2020, 09:05 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,777,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
My wife claims to be 4 feet 10 inches tall.
thats funny. my wife claims to be 5'2 but im not sure if that is true or not. every now and then she will run over a curb and when i say something she complains that she couldnt see it. i try to tell her that its still her obligation to not hit things so she should figure it out. she doesnt seem to agree

Old 09-15-2020, 10:43 AM

8,542 posts, read 4,783,181 times
My wife, at 5’1”, really loves her Chrysler Town and Country. She manages fine in just about anything, but she likes having some of the SUV things like good visibility in something which isn’t an SUV of any kind.

As the mileage gets higher on it, we’re looking into a Subaru provided it has enough seat/steering wheel adjustment. She grew up in Volvo station wagons and her Ma still drives them, my wife likes wagons quite a bit. It will all come down to visibility. If the Subie doesn’t fit then we, like you very well might, will just have to give into the SUV game, since there’s not really any other choices these days.

Last edited by jcp123; 09-15-2020 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive