Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:42 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,386,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
a) That isn't what you said (typed)

b) How many new ones have stepped in for every Spindletop?
You didn't answer my question which means you don't know or you just typing because you have fingers. So let me spell it out for you. Oil fields have dried up in Texas, Peak oil is a reality, do research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
That would cause more problems though imagine people trying to cram into an already crammed new york. Personally I hate having a car and even if gas was free and unlimited for ever I would rather take the London tube because it sucks to drive.

I had asked this before but why is biodiesel and natural gas almost non existant when fueling cars?
There are tons of metro areas besides NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 05:13 PM

733 posts, read 4,657,760 times
No, I meant boondoggle.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:08 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,561,575 times
mikeyyc, yeah, it is true.

Texas peaked in the 1970's. We are barely 1/3 of what it was then.

And we are using some extreme measures to even suck out the last.

It was about a million, million barrels production at the peak, now around 340,000 million which is still a lot, but with demand going higher all the time, any loss in production is a big thing.

Here are year-by-year stats.

RRC:History of Texas Crude Oil, Annual Production, and Producing Wells (http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/divisions/og/statistics/production/ogisopwc.html - broken link)

Real Question -- why is that folks who can easily comprehend that a mine -- like say a Gold or Copper mine -- would eventually run out, and as it cannot replenish itself, would eventually do dry -- cannot follow that when you suck all the oil out of an area it would also go dry like the mine?

Back towards the topic -- as far as ethanol . . . the production and use model is what sucks -- not the ethanol, per se. There are folks making good money small scale producing the stuff, out of scrap and all sorts of feedstock and it is very good in some applications -- like in high compression engines it is far superior to gasoline. Just right now, we have the top end corporate folks using the wrong methods on the wrong target application. Guess nothing new, there.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:29 PM

563 posts, read 2,572,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
They've been saying that we're going to run out of oil soon for what, the last 75 years, yet they keep making huge discoveries. The Saudi's have a huge new reserve they are about to bring online, Brazil just discovered one, there's enough sand oil in Canada to power the world all on it's own for a century... there's plenty of oil. And we've got the falling dollar to hold much of the blame for the price of oil. Oil is the answer, we've got plenty of it, and things like this country's ethanol mandate are fueled only by political hopes and dreams.
I agree with you the falling dollar is a big issue but also consumption worldwide from countries like India and China who 30 years ago were nowhere where they are now in terms of oil consumption and need. Another poster mentioned that oil companies have been pumping/drilling oil from easy to reach areas. If anything, oil companies are guilty of poor planning. They went for easy oil targets and now as oil gets harder to find and reach, cost to do the exploration/drilling/pumping goes up and cost goes up across the board. Of course finger pointing can be placed everywhere depending on who is doing the pointing.

I heard a lot about Canada's oil sands. Not sure of all the details but I read its hard and that it takes a lot of work to get usable energy out of it. Something about the form its in and the conversion. Not too well versed on it but they did say that while oil is plentiful in the oil sands, its a time consuming laborious process that dwarfs current methods. But who knows...

Old 05-05-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
mikeyyc, yeah, it is true.

Texas peaked in the 1970's. We are barely 1/3 of what it was then.

And we are using some extreme measures to even suck out the last.

It was about a million, million barrels production at the peak, now around 340,000 million which is still a lot, but with demand going higher all the time, any loss in production is a big thing.

Here are year-by-year stats.

RRC:History of Texas Crude Oil, Annual Production, and Producing Wells (http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/divisions/og/statistics/production/ogisopwc.html - broken link)

Real Question -- why is that folks who can easily comprehend that a mine -- like say a Gold or Copper mine -- would eventually run out, and as it cannot replenish itself, would eventually do dry -- cannot follow that when you suck all the oil out of an area it would also go dry like the mine?

Back towards the topic -- as far as ethanol . . . the production and use model is what sucks -- not the ethanol, per se. There are folks making good money small scale producing the stuff, out of scrap and all sorts of feedstock and it is very good in some applications -- like in high compression engines it is far superior to gasoline. Just right now, we have the top end corporate folks using the wrong methods on the wrong target application. Guess nothing new, there.
Because a entire way of life isn't built upon and only sustainable using gold and cooper. Can you think what will happen if we are not quick enough to transition the society to another energy source when prices for petrol become well out of the reach for the average person?

Old 05-05-2008, 10:46 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,561,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Because a entire way of life isn't built upon and only sustainable using gold and cooper. Can you think what will happen if we are not quick enough to transition the society to another energy source when prices for petrol become well out of the reach for the average person?
Every freakin day, my friend, every freaking one.

About all I am doing now -- 12 to 16 hours a day, everyday of the week -- is working on designs for taking US off oil and onto electricity. It is some awesome stuff, but I do not know who will win the race . . . US or the Langoliers.

Wandering hard into Electric Farming now, too. Figure in the "lifeboat" business, it is more important to feed and be fed than have some sort of motor fuel to go to the kids' soccer game.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:20 AM

^^

Do you work in the energy business or you doing this to sustain yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive