Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 10:25 AM

14,265 posts, read 14,800,850 times

Advertisements

With the exception of Tesla all new car purchases (COSTCO, Amazon, etc.) still pass through the hands of a dealer even if you do not see/talk to the dealer. While hassle free, they are not the lowest price one can get by haggling with a dealer directly but few know how and many others do not want to hassle with a dealer.

It will be man years, if ever, before existing manufacturers go consumer direct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2020, 12:02 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,764,705 times
You do sort of need dealerships too because they offer service and financing options that are more flexible than mfg.

The reason you only see a certain type of folks drive Tesla because they only approve people who got good credit. They're not gonna advertise nothing down or anyone with a job can drive ads like dealership does. Dealerships offer subprime loans, that's why so many expensive new cars are at poor neighborhoods.

Old 12-20-2020, 03:44 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,823,686 times
I always tell the salesperson "do NOT even mention extended warranties". They inevitably do and I warn them that if they say "extended warranty" one more time that I'm going to get up and leave. This cuts time in half.

Also, when they take the keys to my trade-in, they always resist giving them back in order to keep you a captive audience. I always insist that I get the keys back before we start doing paperwork. And, I let them know that if they dawdle I'm leaving. That speeds things up too.

Don't forget: dealerships may be understaffed at this time.

Old 12-20-2020, 04:56 PM

705 posts, read 510,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
If you're referring to " L A Cyclesports" in Inglewood, then I can see that, as their old business name was "OTD Motorcycles." (Bought a 'busa from them, back in 2008...)
They have..
Polaris
Honda
Suzuki
Triumph

They may have others, I dunno.
Yes! That’s them. I forgot the name. Good guys, fast, no BS, we were out of there in less than an hour. I bought. 2009 Honda dirt bike. Sketchy area though.

Old 12-20-2020, 05:17 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,079,863 times
Why are car dealerships run by Neanderthals?

Because the owners know their business, and realize they can make more money acting like Neanderthals than they can if they act in an ethical manner. And who is at fault for this? Uneducated, unfamiliar, too-trusting, and lazy customers. When people learn to get up and walk when the BS-band starts playing, or better yet, start boycotting disreputable dealers, things will change for the better. But not before.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:05 PM

1,981 posts, read 6,882,835 times
I think one of the big problems is that the majority of the car buying population buy the car based on the "monthly payments". This is the most common question I get asked from the sales people when I start negotiating the price of a car, "How much do you want to pay per month?". Now I guess nobody cares how much is the actual car's price, how long the payments are. They might be paying for the car long after the warranty is up. This opens up the door for the dealers to pull all sorts of tricks to sell you a loan you can't afford.

Old 12-20-2020, 07:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,764,237 times
Yep... you can drive this car home for $299 per month and the being fuel efficient your gas savings will pay for the car...

But what does it cost??? $299 a month.

One of the receptionist traded in her car and came to work with a brand new loaded Accord... late Monday she got a call saying they could not finance her at the rate quoted.

She was buying into higher interest... I said unwind the deal and get your trade back... they had sold it...

Told her to hold firm and by the end of the week they made it work... weasels...

Old 12-21-2020, 08:39 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,790,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I think one of the big problems is that the majority of the car buying population buy the car based on the "monthly payments". This is the most common question I get asked from the sales people when I start negotiating the price of a car, "How much do you want to pay per month?". Now I guess nobody cares how much is the actual car's price, how long the payments are. They might be paying for the car long after the warranty is up. This opens up the door for the dealers to pull all sorts of tricks to sell you a loan you can't afford.
it is always amazing to me how they always ask this which means that many people negotiate based on the monthly payments. its a totally meaningless part of the negotiation process.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:15 AM

3,705 posts, read 4,868,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it is always amazing to me how they always ask this which means that many people negotiate based on the monthly payments. its a totally meaningless part of the negotiation process.
I just tell them it's not important. I want to know the out the door price. If they can't give that to me I'm walking. The last truck I bought they gave me their rates and terms with several different scenarios on amount down. The only thing they knew was that I was trading in my truck (still owed on it and didn't want to deal with selling privately for that amount in a lower population area!) I was vague on the rest as I wanted an actual price with no tricks. And no, I wouldn't tell them the monthly payment I was shooting for.

A little rate negotiation as I already had a loan lined up and we agreed. It wasn't really that bad. After getting the truck they actually called me back in a few days later because the rate actually was actually 1/2 a percent too high so they lowered it. I'd definitely use them again.

Yes, they tried their sales tactics on add-ons but I just told them that I understand they have to try so have at it but I'm not getting any of the extras they'll be trying to sell.

For the test drive he actually gave me the keys and let me go alone-----so no salesman with me blabbering away talking everything up to me getting me distracted from actually paying attention to the drive.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:16 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,764,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
That's because car dealerships are not incentivized by lenders and not price. And we have to blame consumers too that can't afford cars but still wants to own more car than the can afford.

This goes for both new and used dealers. You don't negotiate on price anymore, it is always about monthly payments and they don't care about buyers that pay cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive