Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 02:04 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is why I love buying new cars. Until I found a couple of fair and honest dealers, I always enjoyed the challenge of dealing with their tactics. Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealers are the worst. Years ago my wife wanted a Liberty. I was paying cash, and told the salesman I would pay $23,000 "out the door" (Sticker was $32,xxx) This was not far after 911, in December 2001 and no one was buying cars. I ended up getting it for that, after 4 hours, 5pm-9pm during which time I walked away 3 times and was chased back. He kept trying to get me to do a credit application but I refused, saying that I wasn't going to discuss financing without agreeing to the amount. Then when they finally caved I wrote a check for the total amount, $23,000. While with the finance guy doing the paperwork he told me that mine was the only car they sold that day.
i remember my dad used to take me with him when he got new cars and it was always a process like that. i dont enjoy it at all and with the online tools now, i see no need for it. i am glad the option is there for people like you who enjoy it but that aint me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 02:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
My favorite finance guy line from our most recent car-buying experience- 'You know you shouldn't take that car off pavement."

We were buying our second Outback that, while not a rock hopper by any means, was very much indeed designed to cheerfully charge right up moderately gnarly national forest roads and such.

Old 12-17-2020, 02:44 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,116,372 times
As a woman, car buying is tough; buying a new truck is even tougher. I did not get the new truck. I went alone (with my service dog) to the dealership where I bought the vehicle I was driving. I was not looking for a trade-in; but I had seen the ads and knew pretty much what I wanted. It was August/Sept. I wanted the older year model, as advertised. I do NOT want all the extras - I don't need vibrating heat/cooling seats with a masseuse; I don't want extras up the ying yang, I just wanted a new truck (I no longer buy used vehicles). So I went in, said which vehicle I was looking at (big ads on tv/FB) and that I would finance but wanted 0% interest - as advertised. Took said truck for a drive, got back, it worked for my dog, so it worked for me. Then was told a different price than advertised because it has those spa seats. It's a TRUCK, not a hot tub. We got that sorted out - I don't want the extras, so I'm not paying for them. Then told sorry but no 0% if they gave me the dealer discounts. I said, call me if you change your mind and dog and I left.

They will never get my business again. And they didn't get it - no one did. I'm still using the 06 Trailblazer as my 2nd vehicle but I do want a truck. Maybe when they are hungry enough, I'll reconsider.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:36 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Quote:
This is why I love buying new cars. Until I found a couple of fair and honest dealers, I always enjoyed the challenge of dealing with their tactics.
I don't normally buy new vehicles but I too enjoy dealing with these modern horse traders.

You should know pretty much what is is you're trying to buy and what you're willing to spend for it. Also you should have the available cash or a preapproved loan (amount, rate and period) and the rest can all be fun. Always involve the sales manager because that's where the real fun can be.

I've never left a dealership angry on my side or on their side but I have left without buying.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:51 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
Quote:
This is why I love buying new cars.

Do you like whips, chains, and unspeakable acts performed with feathers, too? Because it's tantamount to the same thing. And I'm a guy who cuts deals all the time in my regular work.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:17 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,067,991 times
Best experience i had was about 20 years ago. On line had just started. Had pretty much done my research on what I wanted and price. Built the truck I wanted on line and submitted it to the Chevy website. By the next day had three bids. Lowest came in about a good chunk less that I expected so I called and the guy told me to come on down, just walk past the salesmen in front to the fleet dept. We cut the paperwork in just a few minutes to order my truck. Since it was special order, took about six weeks to come in but it's the only vehicle I've ever been able to get exactly to my specs, right down to custom paint job.

When I went to pick it up it was a thing of beauty. They'd already had two people wanting to buy it because it didn't look like any other truck on the lot. Did the final paperwork and done. Only time in my life I've had a pleasant experience at a car dealer.

Twenty years later and my son is driving it now.

Honestly I don't understand why more manufacturers don't have that type set up today. Design it on line and just pick it up.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:58 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
This is why Tesla is winning sales because their buying experience is least pressure sales. You show up get offered a test drive. And even a free rental for one day if you qualify. You can also easily order your Tesla online and you simply sign papers when called and the car is ready for you. You actually don't need to see a car salesman if you don't want to. There is so upselling to you and nobody will tell you to buy a warranty or any extras.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:33 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
And where will you have it fixed when it breaks, cause it will someday. Even those, "never break" Hondas have a giant recall going...so when they need a recall, what happens? Send it back to the factory? Hope they have techs that drive to your house?

When I have purchased a vehicle, he day I am to pick it up, usually takes about twenty minutes. The NEEDED prep, and fill up of fuel was done either before I got there, usually the day before.

As for those over priced oil changes? My dealer charges me 59 bucks for an 8-quart synthetic oil change, tire rotation and even throws in a vacuuming and a car wash (more like a fast rinse but still better than nothing).

Checking with the local oil change shops, the price is either the same or more. I could do it myself, but 8 qts of syn oil is roughly 50 bucks, and I'll be damned if I am going to rotate my truck tires in my driveway.
Not sure where you live, but here, the service departments are even worse than the showroom. Yeah, you may get "free" oil changes, but even with an appointment, you're going to wait 3+ hours.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:43 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Help me out here. Why are car dealerships seemingly run by shady incompetents? I'd really like to know.
If someone could make it make sense I'd like to know. I've been in the car shopping market for two weeks now and just purchased a new car yesterday (after hours in the dealership for some reason) which is why this thread caught my attention.

I buy my cars (of course one at a time) brand new and then drive it for a decade or longer (until it dies then I buy another new car). My last car, a Nissan Altima, lasted almost 14 years with 200K miles but started falling apart. So it has been almost 14 years since I've had to experience the unpleasant rigmarole of purchasing a car.

Since everything is online, I tried online purchasing first thinking maybe car buying has improved. I scrolled through numerous dealerships' websites and comparison shopped. Found what I like, completed the online form, and went to the dealer. When I got to the dealership, that "car was not in stock but here's another that I could buy" says the salesperson. However, it didn't offer the exact same features for the price that I found online. Also, I have a high credit score so I qualified for the lowest APR but was informed by the salesperson that I couldn't get both the internet discount price (end of year $1k off the MSRP) AND the low APR, I have to choose one or the other.

When I pointed out that there was no fine print stating this in the online ad, "Oh, the online price discount offer was wrong and lately what's on the website is incorrect because the company that maintains the site has been messing up lately and not updating the web pages regarding inventory as they should". says the salesperson.

At the dealership, the car's exact make, model and year was marked $2-3k more than its' internet price. I even looked at a certified pre-owned. It was $4k higher than its advertised online price. The scenarios I've mentioned were the same at three different new car dealerships, in two different states, that I visited.

Edited to add, I'm a woman and I'm sure we get offered even worse deals and experience greater pushback from salesmen in the negotiation process than our male peers.

Last edited by Klassyhk; 12-17-2020 at 07:12 PM..

Old 12-17-2020, 06:46 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,582,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I hear you.

We had a car selected. Paying cash. Whole deal my wife arranged over the phone. All negotiations done.

Got to the dealership and it was at least three hours to fill out the minimal paperwork for a cash purchase (no financing), wash the car, and hand over the keys. Really? Come on, guys, it takes 15 minutes to wash a car (hell, the thing's brand new - how dirty can it be?)
Goal! One of my financial goals is (after this one) my next new car will be a cash purchase not financing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive