Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,658 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am one person who is fed up with dealing with aggressive drivers. Does anyone else feel that way? I particularly am frustrated by tailgaters who seem to think they can do it anytime, at will. Darn! I try to slow down, and it does not always work. Many times I am quite surprised at the rudeness of these drivers, but am amazed at how many there are!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 12:13 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,658,517 times
I ignore them. Life is too short to get bothered by what other people are doing. Life is stressful enough. Yes, I realize that many drivers are dangerous, or at least inconsiderate. I wish we all had to sign a petition, allowing another person to receive a license only after we all have seen them drive and approve of their ability. But, reality is what it is. I just worry that these people are passing along their ineptitudes to their children when they become of driving age.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:28 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
If someone's being tailgated because they're at 47mph in the left lane of an Interstate yakking on the phone I don't think it's the tailgater who's being rude, as well as dangerous

Old 05-06-2008, 12:40 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeable View Post
Hi. I am one person who is fed up with dealing with aggressive drivers. Does anyone else feel that way? I particularly am frustrated by tailgaters who seem to think they can do it anytime, at will. Darn! I try to slow down, and it does not always work. Many times I am quite surprised at the rudeness of these drivers, but am amazed at how many there are!!

It's frustrating, but as superk stated, ignore them. I used to get worked up, but frankly, it's not worth it or going to jail because someone may have been rude to me on the road. I'm still vigilant and observant, but have conditioned myself not to get agitated over every little thing someone does or doesn't do. I don't have time to play stupid games with other drivers on the road, as it is dangerous to others and serves no purpose. Eventually, the law will catch up to them.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:08 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Eventually, the law will catch up to them.
Usually only after the damage is done.

I've rarely seen anyone ticketed for tailgating, and the tailgaters know this.

Also, kind of hard to ignore them when you're driving at night and their high beams are melting the hair off your head.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:27 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,573,434 times
I tend to get aggresive when people stay in the left lane. I drive an interstate daily and it's shocking to see people actually going about 5 mph under the speed limit and they refuse to move to the right. That one gets me I tell you. I have decided that these people enjoy annoying others. Tailgating annoys me too, especially because I'm not a slow driver. Sometimes stopping at a stop sign makes me cringe because the person behind me appears to not be slowing down. Dang it, whether they like it or not I'm coming to a complete stop. Ok, rant over....

Old 05-06-2008, 01:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeable View Post

My car has rear fog lights. I don't even know if they're legal in Illinois. Nevertheless, they're standard equipment on my car and flipping them on is a surefire way to get tailgaters the hell off my bumper, especially at night.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:51 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Try driving in No. Va!!! The rudeness and "me first" attitude is about the worst I've ever seen. If there are signs telling folks to Merge--forget it! To them, it means go as fast as possible and get ahead of everyone else, even if that's what causes the traffic to get all backed up. Idiots!
And folks who ride the shoulder when there is a bottleneck and everyone is stopped....man--don't get me started!

Old 05-06-2008, 01:53 PM

3,974 posts, read 5,167,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I've rarely seen anyone ticketed for tailgating, and the tailgaters know this.
It does happen. Police departments are starting to crack down on aggressive driving, at least where I live.

As a matter of fact, last summer I was driving home at night. Some kid in his noisy Japanese car pulled right up behind me, I couldn't even see his headlights. I let him know he was 'number one', he backed off and did it again. Just after the second time a cop, who had been in the eastbound lanes, flipped a u-turn, lit him up and pulled him over. I laughed the rest of the way home.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:22 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
Stay out of people's way, use your rear view mirror, go the speed limit AT LEAST. I guarantee all that aggression will disappear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive