Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 10:05 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I suppose that's a 'shot' at these people walking around staring at the phone? With these things called headphones, it allows you to walk around and look at stuff too!
I am very into music, always have been. I NEED it.

You haven't been in all that many cars then. In the 2000's and the 2010's it was VERY common for car companies to put a digital compass in the rearview mirror. Like my wife's 2013 Volvo.
Same here. Currently spinning a 1978 pressing of Devo: Are we not men ?

There are times I don't need it though, such as walking the neighborhood, riding my pedal bike , or riding a snowmobile. I'd rather be more attentive then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 10:27 AM

10,857 posts, read 4,534,722 times
I have a 500+ CD collection I aint getting rid of. some of them are 'no longer issued' but with amazon having distro rights to every song in the US, you can request an album from them and they will burn one up from the MP3s they have and put in the basic cover art and charge ya $15. Plus, used to be when you went to an allmans concert you could 'buy the show' - of which I did many times. it was the new dead head taper ticket.

But dozens of manus are making cd players that even are CANBUSS aware and work with remote controls - just ask crutchfield. Since the manus want to standardize - they now put in XM-ish stuff and USB jacks (I got 4K+ mp3s - mostly cd rips - on 32GB sticks you get for like $9 from walmart near christmas) that I use.

beside me, as I type, is an old pioneer PDM410 that needs glasses someone wants me to fix...I sell every CD player I cross - so the market is there. But it cost us almost $1000 to spec our toyota with a single disc cd player buried in the already pricey entune - its a cash cow for them to sell $10 of wholesale product.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:07 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
I have a 500+ CD collection I aint getting rid of. some of them are 'no longer issued' but with amazon having distro rights to every song in the US, you can request an album from them and they will burn one up from the MP3s they have and put in the basic cover art and charge ya $15. Plus, used to be when you went to an allmans concert you could 'buy the show' - of which I did many times. it was the new dead head taper ticket.

But dozens of manus are making cd players that even are CANBUSS aware and work with remote controls - just ask crutchfield. Since the manus want to standardize - they now put in XM-ish stuff and USB jacks (I got 4K+ mp3s - mostly cd rips - on 32GB sticks you get for like $9 from walmart near christmas) that I use.

beside me, as I type, is an old pioneer PDM410 that needs glasses someone wants me to fix...I sell every CD player I cross - so the market is there. But it cost us almost $1000 to spec our toyota with a single disc cd player buried in the already pricey entune - its a cash cow for them to sell $10 of wholesale product.

En Anglais, s'il vous plait.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:37 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I busted out some of my old CD's last night and put them in the car thanks to this thread.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:41 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Oh as an on-topic post for this thread, I did something similar to this gent to add a few features to a 1980's car I've restored and drive

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...imming.553041/

I added a Gentex mirror from a Nissan to a Foxbody Mustang. The mirror featured auto-dimming, homelink garage door openers, a compass, and an outside temp display.

Wiring was easy. It was 5 wires. Constant power, key on 12V and a ground and then 2 wires for the ambient temp sensor out to the grill. Very easy add on.

If you search around there are mirrors with all sorts of features that can be added with minimal wiring. Of course, if you don't have the skills to do this then this post is not helpful, but if you can manage simple wiring, this could be something of use to some folks who might want to add a few modern features to an older vehicle

Old 05-13-2022, 12:00 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
This. It's worth the $9 a month not to have to keep up with/flip through/insert and take out CDs.

For me, CDs are worth it for the liner notes, I like to know who played in the session, songwriters, etc..

Old 05-13-2022, 12:40 PM

10,857 posts, read 4,534,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
En Anglais, s'il vous plait.

I dont speak french but oddly, I can read it. I must have options installed...anyways

Quote:
I have a 500+ CD collection I aint getting rid of. some of them are 'no longer issued' but with amazon having distro rights to every song in the US, you can request an album from them and they will burn one up from the MP3s they have and put in the basic cover art and charge ya $15.
This means I have a lot of CDs and some are out of print, no longer available in any store, cept amazon can sometimes and make and sell you one made from lesser quality MP3s

Quote:
Plus, used to be when you went to an allmans concert you could 'buy the show' - of which I did many times. it was the new dead head taper ticket.
Allman brothers were a southern rock jam band with blues, soul and jazz overtures that produced the best live album ever (filmore east) and they had equipment there to let you buy the live performance as it was recorded and burned onto multiple cds in a truck trailer at the show - I have many of these 'never ever available in stores' recordings. The allmans had like what the grateful dead, phish, phil and friends, widespread panic etc, where you could buy a special ticket where you got to patch a portable recorder into the sound board to capture the show

Quote:
companies like sony, pioneer, jvc, kenwood etc make aftermarket head units incl a cd player tha not only fit in a car, can speak on the electronics 'buss' (superhighway) linking all the computers in a car and therefore use the steering wheel mounted audio controls etc. It is financial sense for a car manu to offer LESS options in order to streamline manufacturing - why all cars have AC and PS/PB whether you want it or not. Everyone is using USB, the tooth or even XM radio so they offer far far less, for far far more and tell you it is modern. I have many many rips of CD music into MP3s that I can put on a memory stick costing little, and play into the USB port

Quote:
On my bench, close by, where I restore electronics is a 1988ish pioneer multidisk cd player that is not focusing the laser and a customer wants it fixed. This is a large active market for CDs now. To get a CD player in our new toyota, it cost $1000 to step up to a 'better' entune (toyota speak for entertainment package) that included a CD player over the base. And why not, they sold me $10 in additional parts for $1000 - one heck of a markup

Old 05-16-2022, 07:17 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Even with headphones and their heads up, people aren't too aware these days. Just see how fast one reacts when you yell, "Hey! Look out for that truck!".
Meh. I hate generalizations like this. Some, sure. Most, no.

Old 05-16-2022, 07:36 AM

1,492 posts, read 795,625 times
I want a truck with an 8 track tape player!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive