Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 07:41 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I bought 6 months ago. It came down to ordering a new mid level trim and looking at a 5 month wait or buying a used '19 top of the line from CarMax. Ended up going with the used one. Partly because I got to thinking that I didn't want to buy a car built during this labor/supply shortage as I suspect that will not bode well for quality/reliability.

In the "before times" I wouldn't have bought from CarMax as I always ended up finding something similar cheaper elsewhere. But not in this crazy market. They've actually got prices on the more reasonable end and good quality inventory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 08:28 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When I asked about ordering one, they said 90 days was a fantasy. They are still waiting for cars and truck ordered in December and January and promised by March. They have no idea when those cars will arrive, but said I should expect a December delivery at the earliest.
I got my car in 2 months and I ordered back last fall.

The inventory of new is marginally better now, but the used inventory is way up. Lots are pretty full by me. But the prices haven't gone down.

If you can compromise make and model, I can almost guarantee you, that you can get a delivery car within 90 days.

If a Honda or a Subaru doesn't work for you, then set a price and just bite the bullet.

My sister's car got totalled about a month after I bought, and she just went out and bought a car. She overpaid ... but nobody is going to remember or care.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Get a estimate to fix your old truck.
I did. $9,000. Plus it already had a problem with the heat and ac that will cost about $3000 more. With 220,000 ish miles on it and more wear than normal, it is not worth fixing. Even in this crazy market it is worth not more than $10,000 - $12,000 (although I would not buy it for that much).

Old 05-12-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I have to wonder who would be trading in a perfectly good late model low mileage vehicle in this market? Dealers have few if any new vehicles in their inventory. Nearly everything on their lots is used.

I was in a local Toyota dealer a few weeks ago getting my truck serviced. I couldn't spot any new vehicles on the lot when I pulled in. While I was waiting, I wandered onto the showroom floor - no vehicles on display whatsoever, just a lot of empty floor space. After I picked my truck up and drove around the building, it looked weird to see acres of deserted blacktop with nothing on it. A lot of real estate going unused. Made it look like the place was going out of business.
Here in Michigan there are acres and acres of new cars and trucks sitting in storage lots waiting for chips. They ought to store them at the dealerships. They could sell them with delivery subject to getting the chips they need.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP45 View Post
Repos and rentals. That’s where all the used car inventory is coming from.
Lots of lease-ending cars. Some people trade up so they continue to drive their truck or car while they wait and then trade in when their new vehicle arrives. Quite a few pretty obviously traded in as soon as the warranty ended.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I got my car in 2 months and I ordered back last fall.

The inventory of new is marginally better now, but the used inventory is way up. Lots are pretty full by me. But the prices haven't gone down.

If you can compromise make and model, I can almost guarantee you, that you can get a delivery car within 90 days.

If a Honda or a Subaru doesn't work for you, then set a price and just bite the bullet.

My sister's car got totalled about a month after I bought, and she just went out and bought a car. She overpaid ... but nobody is going to remember or care.
When we went to Ohio the lots seemed to have quite a lot of cars. Not the case in Michigan. One place we went to (in Flint) had a ton of used cars but they were all very worn, beat up, or kidified.

But no. I am not interested in spending 5 - 10 years driving a vehicle that will annoy me every time I look at it or get into it because it is not what I wanted.I am very particular about my cars. Some people are particular about clothing, or what wine they drink, or shoes, or cigars, or whatever. For me it is cars. I have always waited until I could get exactly what I want. My last truck took a long time to find too, but it was nothing like this, especially since I was not in a hurry at all. My son actually discovered it at an auction of the assets of a failed business near our home.

Some people are pushing me to get a Telluride because of the long warranty and low price. But that is not a practical vehicle for my lifestyle. (Plus I do not particularly like them).

This time is a bit different because I would be happy with one of two different vehicles. Usually, there is only one and only with a specific set of options. I am not one of those people who can go to a dealership, pick whatever they have that strikes my fancy at the moment, and buy it. Still, I have never seen anything like this. Particularly when I find a car want to buy it but they do not want to sell it to me. Also I have usually been able to find dealers with no underhanded tactics. Those practices seem to have grown more widespread.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:31 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EP45 View Post
Repos and rentals. That’s where all the used car inventory is coming from.
Quote:
Lots of lease-ending cars. Some people trade up so they continue to drive their truck or car while they wait and then trade in when their new vehicle arrives. Quite a few pretty obviously traded in as soon as the warranty ended.
I know traditionally, lease returns are a major source of late-model used vehicles that end up on dealer lots. But given the current climate, residual values on many of those ending leases would make those vehicles a bargain, if the lessee wanted to purchase at that previously set value. I wonder how many would be doing that, and just waiting out this shortage? Unless maybe they could get into a new leased vehicle of their choice without much of a wait.

Old 05-12-2022, 09:37 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
In the same boat.

Currently looking for a new Explorer ST in specific color/options. Can't find what I want, and orders at at 6months give or take. I really don't like the idea of buying a brand spanking new car and settling for one that isn't the right color or is missing one of the options i want. My current DD doesn't have a sunroof, which i regret not holding out for when i bought it.

Used models are selling what new ones sell for even with 30K miles. Same problem. They don't check off the right boxes, so i'm settling and also paying the same for a used vehicle with less warranty.

I tend to drive my vehicles for a long time. 10+ years is my goal, so i want to make sure i get something I will enjoy every day of those 10 years. I've cross-shopped some other makes/models and just not a fan. The Telluride seems to be the go-to vehicle that everyone is raving about. Drove one, wasn't impressed.

Fortunately my DD is in good running condition so i'm not pressured right now. I drove my last vehicle to mechanical failure at 180K miles and got nothing for it in trade and sent it to the junkyard. I really don't want to take the current DD that far this time. Trade-in value is actually decent right now on it as well.

Old 05-12-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
In the same boat.

Currently looking for a new Explorer ST in specific color/options. Can't find what I want, and orders at at 6months give or take. I really don't like the idea of buying a brand spanking new car and settling for one that isn't the right color or is missing one of the options i want. My current DD doesn't have a sunroof, which i regret not holding out for when i bought it.

Used models are selling what new ones sell for even with 30K miles. Same problem. They don't check off the right boxes, so i'm settling and also paying the same for a used vehicle with less warranty.

I tend to drive my vehicles for a long time. 10+ years is my goal, so i want to make sure i get something I will enjoy every day of those 10 years. I've cross-shopped some other makes/models and just not a fan. The Telluride seems to be the go-to vehicle that everyone is raving about. Drove one, wasn't impressed.

Fortunately my DD is in good running condition so i'm not pressured right now. I drove my last vehicle to mechanical failure at 180K miles and got nothing for it in trade and sent it to the junkyard. I really don't want to take the current DD that far this time. Trade-in value is actually decent right now on it as well.
Right...

So if you know you want a specific vehicle and you're a 'car guy' then my recommendation would be to order a car way ahead of time.

A little cheat. If you order a car and put down a deposit, and you do not take delivery, most dealerships will give you your deposit back. And by not take delivery, I mean ... you can order it X months ahead, go there, test drive it and decide you don't want it. The dealer told me as much. So, you really lose nothing ... except you may not be able to buy from that dealer again, lol.

But this is the smart way to do it. Plan ahead and trade in your vehicle while it still has value.

Last edited by jobaba; 05-12-2022 at 10:31 AM..

Old 05-12-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
When we went to Ohio the lots seemed to have quite a lot of cars. Not the case in Michigan. One place we went to (in Flint) had a ton of used cars but they were all very worn, beat up, or kidified.

But no. I am not interested in spending 5 - 10 years driving a vehicle that will annoy me every time I look at it or get into it because it is not what I wanted.I am very particular about my cars. Some people are particular about clothing, or what wine they drink, or shoes, or cigars, or whatever. For me it is cars. I have always waited until I could get exactly what I want. My last truck took a long time to find too, but it was nothing like this, especially since I was not in a hurry at all. My son actually discovered it at an auction of the assets of a failed business near our home.

Some people are pushing me to get a Telluride because of the long warranty and low price. But that is not a practical vehicle for my lifestyle. (Plus I do not particularly like them).

This time is a bit different because I would be happy with one of two different vehicles. Usually, there is only one and only with a specific set of options. I am not one of those people who can go to a dealership, pick whatever they have that strikes my fancy at the moment, and buy it. Still, I have never seen anything like this. Particularly when I find a car want to buy it but they do not want to sell it to me. Also I have usually been able to find dealers with no underhanded tactics. Those practices seem to have grown more widespread.
Right, so I would recommend waiting then. Do what you can to fill the gap until your new car arrives. I was borrowing my mom's car.

As for myself ... I'm a Honda, Toyota, Nissan guy and the car just has to run.

So obviously I looked at all options, but ended up with something pretty close to what I wanted in the first place.

The wait actually would have been only 1 month if I decided to go with black, but I wanted white so it was another month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive