Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 08:40 PM

2,138 posts, read 3,588,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I know people who are religious with 3k oil changes even if the mfg calls for 10k but it has kept their car running past the 250k mi mark.
Do you think there is something unusual about a modern car running past the 250K mark? It is not the slightest bit unusual if it is a quality make like a Honda or a Toyota.
Quote:
The mechanic in the video shows exactly what could happen if the oil wasn't good quality and was frequently changed past the 7k mark.

My rule of thumb is 5k mi, and 7k is your danger zone. I use mineral spirits to flush out the remaining oil then let it sit for 20mins.
You are fooling yourself with the mineral spirits. If you just pour it in be advised there are all sorts of passages where oil remains. If you pour it in and run the engine on mineral spirits the engine is running with very poor lubrication which can cause damage. And mineral oil will remain despite your letting the car sit.
Quote:

If you listen to these dealerships and mfg you are playing with Russian roulette. Chances are your engine maybe fine but often not it may not reach past 200k if you often drive local.

And time is another factor not just mileage. If a car sits awhile any metals and debris that are collected in the engine will start to dissolve and become corrosive inside the engine over time even if you don't drive much.
The metal in the oil dissolves? Do you actually believe this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 06:00 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,889,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Do you think there is something unusual about a modern car running past the 250K mark? It is not the slightest bit unusual if it is a quality make like a Honda or a Toyota.
Not just Honda and Toyota. EVERY car made this century can easily stay running past 200k.

Old 04-12-2023, 06:04 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,889,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
The purpose of manufacturer maintenance schedules is to make money for the dealer, not to maximize the life of the car. How people don't realize this amazes me.
The purpose of the manufacturer's maintenance schedule is to prolong the life of the car. Marketers are paid millions to keep customers in a manufacturer, they aren't getting undermined by engineering...

If you were right, that would be a class action suit.

The other thing you are wrong about is manufacturer's don't GAF about dealers! They want MANUFACTURER profits, they only want dealers to survive to funnel money to the manufacturers. why would they publish schedules that would cause damage to the car when that would increase warranty costs??

Old 04-12-2023, 06:47 AM

313 posts, read 207,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I would never buy a used car if the seller claims that they've followed the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. They're basically admitting that they didn't properly maintain the car.
If the seller only stated that they "followed the mfr's maintenance schedule", that would not impress me one way or the other.

IF, IF, IF that seller did the maintenance at a dealership, I would CERTAINLY be very interested in purchasing that vehicle. That should easily be substantiated on the CarFax, since most (if not all) of the time the dealerships report to CarFax.

I believe that when a dealership gets your car in for maintenance/repairs, they are always looking for MORE work to do. That doesn't necessarily mean the customer will fall for it, but I would guess that more often than not the customer DOES fall for it. I believe that generally speaking the dealership is going to suggest work that is not necessarily urgent, or perhaps even required at all. A less-educated customer will fall for it, perhaps getting scared by their explanations, and do the work.

Old 04-12-2023, 12:49 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAmsterdam View Post
If the seller only stated that they "followed the mfr's maintenance schedule", that would not impress me one way or the other.

IF, IF, IF that seller did the maintenance at a dealership, I would CERTAINLY be very interested in purchasing that vehicle. That should easily be substantiated on the CarFax, since most (if not all) of the time the dealerships report to CarFax.

I believe that when a dealership gets your car in for maintenance/repairs, they are always looking for MORE work to do. That doesn't necessarily mean the customer will fall for it, but I would guess that more often than not the customer DOES fall for it. I believe that generally speaking the dealership is going to suggest work that is not necessarily urgent, or perhaps even required at all. A less-educated customer will fall for it, perhaps getting scared by their explanations, and do the work.
Or had service records/receipts. Indie shops increasingly also are reporting to Carfax on maintenance nowadays though as well.

But yes, I very with your premise. I'm not impressed by statements that can't be corroborated by service records or by used cars with engine bays that have been steam cleaned prior to sale. Particularly on more of a regular appliance type vehicle I'd actually steer away from a steam cleaned engine bay or at the very least treat it as a red flag. I mean, some people are pretty obsessive. They buy a Toyota and immediately take it for a $2,000 paint correction and ceramic coating and religiously maintain the surface treatment at $600 a year for the touch ups and reapplications. The car gets a full annual detail interior detail and steam clean of the engine bay. OCD as hell, sure, but some people really like clean cars. On the other hand you get into some Toyota which smells like gym bag, scratched up exterior from being run through the paint grinders, cheap detail to get the french fries and coffee stains out, that engine bay was steam cleaned because it's leaking fluids not because the owner is OCD.

Old 04-12-2023, 01:08 PM

9,500 posts, read 4,336,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
The purpose of the manufacturer's maintenance schedule is to prolong the life of the car. Marketers are paid millions to keep customers in a manufacturer, they aren't getting undermined by engineering...

If you were right, that would be a class action suit.

The other thing you are wrong about is manufacturer's don't GAF about dealers! They want MANUFACTURER profits, they only want dealers to survive to funnel money to the manufacturers. why would they publish schedules that would cause damage to the car when that would increase warranty costs??
I guess P.T. Barnum was right.

To address your final paragraph, manufacturer maintenance schedules are designed to get the car through the warranty period and not one minute longer if they can help it. Do you understand that once the car is out of warranty, dealers and manufacturers make money when people are stupid enough to bring their car to the dealer for repairs? After a few costly out-of-warranty repairs, those shiny new cars on the showroom floor look mighty appealing. That's how manufacturers win. Dealers make money on repairs. Manufacturers make money on new car sales. Both are maximized by manufacturer maintenance schedules designed to make the car need repairs as soon as possible after the warranty expires. Again, I thought this was obvious.
This discussion is a great example of why kids should be taught basic life skills in grade school.

Old 04-12-2023, 05:32 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,917,540 times
1. I get all my car advice from click and clack.

2. At 200k miles it is no longer my car.

Old 04-13-2023, 06:52 AM

10,832 posts, read 4,517,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
1. I get all my car advice from click and clack.

well thats special, given that one of them is dead and has been for quite some time. But the survivor does hawk rock auto - and I do too, to an extent. Once you have the part number - plug it into amazon prime and the total true cost is oft lower, and you get it the next day in most cases.

Dont rely on auto advice from someone who has not and cannot see, hear, smell and taste your car. And when you do, grain of salt it. <--- I have experience here, I have written for most automotive publications and web presences for, well 30 or so years since they became web presences and indeed, was once a charter member of 'car talk' (click and clack thingy) The one constant is no one listens to what you say, so I stopped caring...brutal world. (the new sexy is shaking phone cam video on youtube with ummm, uhhhhh ummmm audio...about as useful as a 'woke' person working at NASA ;-)

Old 04-13-2023, 07:37 AM

1,489 posts, read 792,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
When I think of a quality auto it would be German brands.

Old 04-13-2023, 08:09 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
As someone pointed out, engine failure is extremely rare. Transmission, BCM, brake system, misc electronics, are what usually take a car our. Sometimes combinations fo these or one of these things coupled with HVAD failures or suspension parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive