Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 04:24 AM

13,666 posts, read 10,056,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Not sure if there's a query here or not.

So, let me leave you with this little bit of useless information.

Where I'm located (you can see above) it takes 6 solar panels to support 1 Tesla that travels 70 miles per day.
Each of these solar panels generates 375W, btw.
Not useless at all.

How would that be being achieved? As in, is it charging a household battery to then by inverter charge the car at other times, or is it almost direct?

Are they fixed solar panels, or do they have solar tracking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 08:00 AM

3,284 posts, read 1,712,053 times
EV range is highly dependent on driving style, road conditions, and climate. I actually discover that driving in the rain is very good, low resistant when you don't have to stop much the range increases.

However, it sucks driving in bad traffic range will drop if you have AC running and even using the screen alot the Tesla cameras are also a power drain.

Spirited or aggressive driving yields the worst range as expected. If I a regularly drive over 70mph the range gets only about 60% advertised range.

I did improve range when I swap out big 20" wheels for 19" on Model Y so I really think big wheels needs to go away because it's such a range killer.

Old 06-12-2023, 08:28 AM

3,802 posts, read 2,338,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
However, it sucks driving in bad traffic range will drop if you have AC running and even using the screen alot the Tesla cameras are also a power drain.

Hmmm. This is opposite when everyone else with an EV experiences. Traffic can maintain or even increase range from what you had going into the heavy traffic area. I see this regularly on my trips up or down I95 through the Cross Bronx Expressway into lower CT. I can have 110 miles of range left when entering NY from CT and still have 110 miles left when I get across the GWB onto the NJ Turnpike.

Old 06-12-2023, 09:36 AM

19,074 posts, read 14,013,809 times
Yeah I don’t know where you got that one from.

I’ve gone the entire length of the Van Wyck, and most of the Belt towards Staten Island in bumper to bumper traffic with my AC blasting and only seen 3% come off the clock.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-12-2023, 10:42 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,891,929 times
Amusing thing I've witnessed - is the "always cooling" Tesla. As in, you're in the office working, I park next to you, and I can hear your air conditioner running. Keeping that car comfy til lunch or 5pm.

Mentally, I just picture a guy shoveling coal into a furnace to make the electricity that is now running your air conditioner. In an effort to conserve energy - we've actually created a way to use more, while polluting more at the same time.

Old 06-12-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Amusing thing I've witnessed - is the "always cooling" Tesla. As in, you're in the office working, I park next to you, and I can hear your air conditioner running. Keeping that car comfy til lunch or 5pm.

Mentally, I just picture a guy shoveling coal into a furnace to make the electricity that is now running your air conditioner. In an effort to conserve energy - we've actually created a way to use more, while polluting more at the same time.
Do you mentally picture that this something all Teslas do or do you think its someone who left a feature on? Genuinely curious as I usually learn new things here since non-EV owners always know more about EVs than those who own them.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-12-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Hmmm. This is opposite when everyone else with an EV experiences. Traffic can maintain or even increase range from what you had going into the heavy traffic area. I see this regularly on my trips up or down I95 through the Cross Bronx Expressway into lower CT. I can have 110 miles of range left when entering NY from CT and still have 110 miles left when I get across the GWB onto the NJ Turnpike.
Sounds like you stay in your lane and cruise. I'm constantly changing lanes, this past weekend's traffic was horrendous up and down NY and NJ. Probably the worst drivers are all out due to the weather and parade.

Old 06-12-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you say in your lane and cruise. I'm constantly changing lanes, this past weekend's traffic was horrendous up and down NY and NJ. Probably the worst drivers are all out due to the weather and parade.
Then it's your driving style that's sapping range, as is expected in an EV, not the traffic.

Old 06-12-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Then it's your driving style that's sapping range, as is expected in an EV, not the traffic.
Time is money for me, I don't have time to sit in one lane and get pushed back by all the lane cutters and just cringe drivers.

Old 06-12-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Time is money for me, I don't have time to sit in one lane and get pushed back by all the lane cutters and just cringe drivers.
That's fine, just saying that it's not traffic that saps EV range.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive