Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like buying vehicles that are made in Mexico?
I don't mind buying vehicles from Mexico. 44 53.01%
I will not buy vehicles from Mexico. 39 46.99%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 12:14 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

I found out from my local Chevy dealer that the Chevy HHR is made in Mexico. I hate to buy anything made in Mexico so I might buy a Ford Escape instead. What do you think about this subject?

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 12:35 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,172,488 times
It seems like when you get anything from Mexico it doesn't last long. We just had to put a new relay switch in on our refridgerator that is only five years old, the warrenty ran out three months ago, it cost $225.00 to fix, so if this Chevy was made in Mexico,then I would have to say no, buy American, at least you know it was made with no parts that were in need of replacement after having it for a couple of years.

I would also really check deeper into it before spending my hard earned money on something that wouldn't last. I guess I have been burned to many times.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:36 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,272,325 times
Who knows where these things are built anymore? To me it's more important where the end profit goes (what country).

My bf recently bought a Chevy SUV and it's been terrific, much better than I anticipated. Not sure where it was built.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:36 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,148,243 times
I own a 1997 VW Jetta that was made in Mexico. It now has 210,000 miles, and it's only had gas, oil and plugs changed until this August, when I had the dealer replace the belts and hoses. I did have the transmission replaced in October, and while they had it apart they went ahead and replaced the factory clutch. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a 1000 mile road trip today.

On an aside... What would happen to illegal immigration, if more Americans bought Mexican made products?

Old 02-06-2007, 04:03 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,098,308 times
I buy whatever Consumer Reports recommends. I don't care where it's made. I suspect several countries get a piece of the pie, as parts may be made in one country, assembled in another country, and then of course I am buying it from an American-based dealership, employing Americans.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:29 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Unhappy No-

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I found out from my local Chevy dealer that the Chevy HHR is made in Mexico. I hate to buy anything made in Mexico so I might buy a Ford Escape instead. What do you think about this subject?

Thanks, John
We are already destroying our own country enough. Outsourcing would be fine- if there was EVER and end to it. More and more dealers and manufacturers leaving the US. Look at Detroit. Does everyone support the new highway which can bring in all Mexicans, all through the coast of California up to Canada-at taxpayers expense?? That Nafta bill was signed into law this year.

sunny

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 02-06-2007 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: add

Old 02-06-2007, 07:37 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,381,748 times
Every car that is assembled anywhere in the world is a mix of parts from dozens of countries. No such thing as a 100 percent "american" made car anymore. Look at any new car sticker from any manufacturer, and what they list now is "percent north american components" (or words similar to that). North America includes USA, Canada and Mexico my friends. Some cars assembled in the USA might have more parts made in Canada or Mexico than cars that are assembled in Canada or Mexico. Welcome to the global manufacturing economy.
Dozens and dozens of car brands sold in the USA are manufactured in Mexico by the way - Chevy HHR is small potatoes in the bigger picture. Ford, Nissan, VW, Diamler-Chrysler + GM all have big manufacturing operations in Mexico.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:01 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Thanks, John
I wouldn't touch it. I moved a manufacturing plant to Mexico and they were supposed to be able to take over all orders within 90 days because they were experienced. A year and a half later, I left Mexico and come home. Strictly because of frustration. Quality Assurance couldn't pass anything. Their answer, "Lower the standards to make it easier or they're going to go broke." Tried to explain that they'd go broke from returned cables. They wouldn't listen. Next order of 100 cables to go out, 89 were returned because of defects.

I'm sure I've bought stuff made in Mexico and didn't know it. But knowing it's from Mexico, I wouldn't touch it.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:32 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,010,773 times
I wouldn't buy anything built in Mexico again. I didn't know it at the time, wasn't exactly what was on my mind at the time, but I bought a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire and found out later it was assembled in Mexico. Within 8 months of purchasing my car, for some reason the outside body mouldings were all messed up. I couldn't open either door of my car because the moulding was jacked up and in the way. It took me about a month to square things away with it. Our local dealership doesn'tquarter panl ahve a bodyshop, so was sent to another town 40 miles away, they tried telling me that it was my fault and the doors were sprung (found out later this was NOT TRUE). We lodged a complaint with GM and finally had to take my car 100 miles away to yet ANOTHER city and they went to town on my car. They said that these cars are made in Mexico and they see stuff like this all of the time. They don't tighten things down correctly (ie. frame, hood, body mouldings etc) and it causes a lot of problems. In my case, you could stand at the fron of my car and see the hood was tweaked and not centered and one side of it had raised up. This in turn caused other body parts to become misadjusted thus causing the door moulding to rub on the fenders etc. They fixed it all up better than new. They said not to be surprised there will probably be other issues.
Low and behold, one of the back turn signals fell out of the socket and had rested upon the plastic casing. We didn't even realize it until the turn signal burnt out and we went to replace it. The bulb had melted into the plastic and we had to take it in again. They fixed it for us and in the mean time they also had to fix a piece of interior moulding that holds the headliner up.
Although none of this is really MAJOR, I wouldn't buy another car, or other major purchase, that was assembled in Mexico. Despite being built pretty crappy, it would be extremely hypocritical to sit here and Blast on the ILLEGALS and complain of them being here taking up our jobs etc. while at the same time buying things that our big biz and govt has managed to move into Mexico for cheaper labor etc.
Some of you out there probably won't like this statement either, but as much as I love to be patriotic and support MY country, I still think Japanese cars are better built!

Old 02-06-2007, 08:44 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,396,401 times
Oh mannn I'm going to here it.

I don't care where the vehicle is made...

I WILL NOT buy a Chevy.

Or a GM...

Or Ford..

Or anything!

I hate all car companies equally, because they want to charge you so much for the very little you get.

Well I don't hate all car companies...
I use to like Geo... Then Chevy/Gm bought them... Then I did! lol.

I'm a stick in the mud when it comes to cars.

My next car will be a Geo. Then it's going to be turned into an EV! yayy! EV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive