Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:40 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
I actually dab my finger and taste everything, its the only sure way to know what fluids are leaking. Let us know if that stuff tastes sweet.
Say what? Why would you taste everything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 07:24 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Say what? Why would you taste everything?
Every fluid has a distinct taste to it. Rather than spend hours or days figuring out a leaking fluid I just taste whatever I see dripping. Some people say "gross" I say mehhh...

Old 06-23-2009, 08:52 AM

80 posts, read 338,501 times
Quote:
Some torque converters actually have a drain plug on them, if that is true for your vehicle then im guessing that would just be an access hole to the converter. You would then bump the starter until the converter plug was lined up with the access hole... again that is just an educated guess.

It would help alot if you indicated what kind of vehicle this is.
its a 1995 ford thunderbird and i have not been able to tell if my tranny fluid is getting low. but im sure now that it is leaking tranny fluid

Old 06-23-2009, 09:08 AM

80 posts, read 338,501 times
does anyone know where i can get the parts shown

Old 06-23-2009, 04:56 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexr071291 View Post
does anyone know where i can get the parts shown
Honestly with two words you could have found an infinite supply of parts sources.

I generally shop at Advance or use RockAuto.com

Old 06-23-2009, 05:18 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
You didn't ask but I don't think the parts you are looking at have anything in particular to do with your transmission leaking. I generally am leery of the "mechanic in a can" type "snake oil" products, but you *could* try some sort of transmission "conditioner" although don't over-fill, wait till it leaks down enough then add the snake oil, again, not over-filling it. In my experience sometimes this helps, at worst you over-pay for a pint of transmission fluid.

You can drive the car with a small trans leak for a long time, a quart of transmission fluid maybe every month or so is not a big expense compared to fuel.

Sometimes a car that has been sitting will leak when first started up, and sometimes the leak will get somewhat better on it's own.

If a seal is damaged, torn, worn through, etc. it will leak till you get in there and change the seal. But if the seal is just dried out sometimes after it gets re-wetted a few times it will start to seal better.

If you can find a course and have the time/money, take an auto shop class at your local junior college, a good way to get rid of most of your automotive ignorance in a hurry. And I'm not flaming you here, there is no shame in being ignorant of a topic, we all start there, there was a time when each of us old "greybeards" giving you advice knew less than you know already. Notwithstanding beer-fueled stories to the contrary, none of us were born with a Snap-On wrench in our hand.

Remember ignorance is always curable, but stupidity is always terminal.

Another thought is that you could find a job at a good local indy shop, if you don't already have a better job than that. Obviously you want to learn and you are learning, but I remember the "bad old days" when I knew little and screwed up more than my fair share of parts learning a lot of stuff the hard way.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Every fluid has a distinct taste to it. Rather than spend hours or days figuring out a leaking fluid I just taste whatever I see dripping. Some people say "gross" I say mehhh...

Just hope that you never have a homeless guy urinate on or under your car. . . "Hey waht is that puddle under my car? I guess I will taste it and see. . . .nahh I do not recognize the taste fo that fluid, I guess I have better taste some more to figure it out."

You cna sya Mehh all day. That is gross. Of course I am not sure it is a heck of alot worse than putting old engine oil in your mouth. What if the leak is acid from a cracked battery? Ouch!

Old 06-24-2009, 10:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I drove a car for years that would not hold more than a few ounces of fluid in the transmission housing. (Manual trans) The transmission eventually burned up, but my option to resolve the problem was to replace the transmission. I did end up replacing the transmission, just two years later.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:15 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Quote:
It takes you hours or days to figure out a fluid leak? Here's hoping a dog doesn't take a leak on one of your tires. Gee... I wonder if that's brake fluid. Better taste it and see...

Last edited by Gimme3steps; 06-25-2009 at 03:17 PM..

Old 06-25-2009, 03:00 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
I know of other people who taste the fluid to see what is leaking. I dont do it myself but I dont think its all that unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive