Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 04:06 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,039,693 times

Advertisements

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My Triumph TR4A has more character and grace than the majority of domestic cars, that is my opinion.

My Toyota Tacoma 4x is just the right truck for my purposes and it hauls a lot more than table and chairs, my winter wood for example. It is also quite safe.

Not everyone needs a V8, most of my vehicles have had 4 cylinders and have served me well and efficiently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 04:18 PM

131 posts, read 420,146 times
Actually driven 3 types of cars. American, then 2 Japanese, and now I have my first German car.

American Car: 1988 Pontiac Grand Prix (had it from 2001-2003)

American Likes: Very cheap to repair and maintain. I would go to a back alley mechanic who could smack it with a hammer and it would start working.

American Dislikes: The automatic transmission I had in my Pontiac was nothing more than a POS. I bought the car with about 100k on it, was my first car so I knew it would have to replaced soon. When it went, I replaced it, was from the dealer. Then it had to be rebuilt 5000 miles later, and then 7500 miles after that... was just one nightmare after another.

Japanese Cars: 1992 Nissan NX2000 (2003-2004), 2005 Mazda RX-8 (2004-2009)

Nissan Likes: Extremely reliable, and was my first manual transmission car. I forget where this car appeared, but it did get rave reviews for being one of the best front wheel drive handling cars, ever. I loved it, and never had a major problem with it.

Nissan Dislikes: Nasty dealers, and crummy service. When I was going to replace the NX2000 with the 350Z, the dealer gave me this smug attude about being able to afford it. I was doing very well financially then, and bought my next car, the RX-8, with cash.

Mazda Likes: Handling! Screaming motor! Reliability if montitored...

Mazda Dislikes: Gas mileage... I struggled to get 16 miles per gallon on a combined cycle. This was partially because that rotary motor loved to rev to 9000 rpm.

German car: 2009 BMW 135i (current car)

German Likes: Handling, almost as good as the RX-8. Power and torque... really pushes you back to the seat when you open the throttle. The brakes are simply incredible too, and the safety features far surpass anything in the RX-8. $0 maintainance for the first 4 years/50,000 miles.

German Dislikes: The stock clutch and gearbox were not actually as good as the Mazda... my only disappointment so far, but that can actually be fixed.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:45 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekygisela View Post
Actually driven 3 types of cars. American, then 2 Japanese, and now I have my first German car.

American Car: 1988 Pontiac Grand Prix (had it from 2001-2003)

American Likes: Very cheap to repair and maintain. I would go to a back alley mechanic who could smack it with a hammer and it would start working.

American Dislikes: The automatic transmission I had in my Pontiac was nothing more than a POS. I bought the car with about 100k on it, was my first car so I knew it would have to replaced soon. When it went, I replaced it, was from the dealer. Then it had to be rebuilt 5000 miles later, and then 7500 miles after that... was just one nightmare after another.

Japanese Cars: 1992 Nissan NX2000 (2003-2004), 2005 Mazda RX-8 (2004-2009)

Nissan Likes: Extremely reliable, and was my first manual transmission car. I forget where this car appeared, but it did get rave reviews for being one of the best front wheel drive handling cars, ever. I loved it, and never had a major problem with it.

Nissan Dislikes: Nasty dealers, and crummy service. When I was going to replace the NX2000 with the 350Z, the dealer gave me this smug attude about being able to afford it. I was doing very well financially then, and bought my next car, the RX-8, with cash.

Mazda Likes: Handling! Screaming motor! Reliability if montitored...

Mazda Dislikes: Gas mileage... I struggled to get 16 miles per gallon on a combined cycle. This was partially because that rotary motor loved to rev to 9000 rpm.

German car: 2009 BMW 135i (current car)

German Likes: Handling, almost as good as the RX-8. Power and torque... really pushes you back to the seat when you open the throttle. The brakes are simply incredible too, and the safety features far surpass anything in the RX-8. $0 maintainance for the first 4 years/50,000 miles.

German Dislikes: The stock clutch and gearbox were not actually as good as the Mazda... my only disappointment so far, but that can actually be fixed.
how do you like the 135i my G/F's sister bought one and it looks pretty nice she has it in montegro blue with a auto I drove it and have to say it handles just as good as my GTO and was quite a joy to drive.

Old 07-11-2009, 04:51 PM

131 posts, read 420,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
how do you like the 135i my G/F's sister bought one and it looks pretty nice she has it in montegro blue with a auto I drove it and have to say it handles just as good as my GTO and was quite a joy to drive.
Amazing little car. I was actually in the market for an M3, but am currently a little uncomfortable spending nearly 70,000 dollars on a car. I did test drive one though, and I liked it a lot, just not my insurance quote for it. The 135i fits me well for now. Great handling, impressive power and throttle response, no turbo lag, and amazing brakes. Shame they don't make an M model for this car, or I would without question buy one. My father actually drives a new GTO, and I let him take this car out for a spin. He was pretty impressed. The clutch and the gearbox are me just nitpicking, as it probably needs a short throw shift kit in my opinion pretty desperately. Would fit the more sporting nature of the car better. More nitpicking... a limited slip differential would be nice too, like the one I had in my Mazda. I don't track the car though, so I don't think that would matter much.

I actually see a lot of Montego Blue 135's... I actually went for the Monaco Blue, which is much darker.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:54 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The police and taxi cabs out here are Ford Crown Victorias because Japanese cars can't take the abuse which the (body-on-frame) Fords can. They can also rack up hundreds of thousands of miles with minimal problems.
Their are lots of taxi Priuses in Chicago that can handle the abuse!

Old 07-11-2009, 08:42 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Even the dealerships that sell these American-made Japanese cars will admit that there is no difference in quality between these cars and the Big 3 models. You MUST buy one built in Japan and shipped across the Pacific to get one that's better. Apparently American workers are not capable of producing a good product. LOL
You have a good point. (I can elaborate on that if necessary).
EX: When shopping for a Toyota, make sure to get a Toyota that has a VIN that starts with J (meaning made in Japan).

Quote:
The police and taxi cabs out here are Ford Crown Victorias because Japanese cars can't take the abuse which the (body-on-frame) Fords can. They can also rack up hundreds of thousands of miles with minimal problems.
I have a friend who is a mechanic contracted to repair/maintain Medallion Ford/Chevy taxis in NYC, and he has plenty of work. They are tough, grotesque leviathans, but 100% reliable, no!! (More maintenance than repairs, but most seem to have heating and tranny issues). They're tough, but they require maintenance. They serve their purpose though.

Also if you go to NYC, you'll see the Police and Taxis switching over to Nissan Altimas for police cars, and Toyota, Hondas as taxies. They are well built cars, and of course with the price of gas, who cares about being driven in a taxi with a V8. An I-4 or V6 will do. They're finding that out. Better now than never.

Imports
Pros:

Designs (subjective, but since this my take, let it be) , Ergonomics, fit and finish, reliable engines and designs. They usually outperform the domestic competitors when comparing specific hp/liter. Import manufacturers know how to extract every ounce of power from their small displacement engines, and make them reliable. Little maintenance needed. I work on my own cars, so I find repairing imports easy (I should say easier). I also gauge a car's worth not just when it's new, but as it ages, so imports win again imho. Compare a 10 year old Toyota/Honda to a 10 year old Dogde or Ford. I was raised in import car culture, so they make more sense to me.

Cons:
Many lack manual transmissions, and many import car manufacturers tend cater to the whole SUV craze, despite knowing how to built great small and midsize cars.
Toyota and Nissan need heavy duty turbo diesel trucks. I considered a Tundra a few months ago, but with rumors of a possible Hino Turbo Diesel model out, I'm holding off for a bit.
Lack of sports cars. When was the last time Toyota and Mazda had a turbo car that gave domestic cars a run for their money? 98 Supra turbo was the last year Toyota had an actual sports car in the US. There are street examples making 1000+whp.

Domestics:

Pros:
Availability of parts, and cheaper. Great availability of networks for repairs. I have to give it to Ford of all Domestic car makers. They have impressed me with their cars as of late. Will I buy one? Maybe not (now), but I give them their due credit.
The recent Ford design are nice. I rented a Fusion a few months ago. While it was no Toyota Avalon or Acura TSX, it was better than any Dodge I ever rented.

Cons:
Aside from Ford, designs don't do it for me for most Domestics. Ergonomics, fit and finish. Engine vibration, cheapness of parts/panels, etc. Unrefined chassis, seating etc. Poor resale value.

Last edited by MisterNY; 07-11-2009 at 08:55 PM..

Old 07-11-2009, 11:11 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Their are lots of taxi Priuses in Chicago that can handle the abuse!
But there are other factors. Like comfort. The driver and passengers are a lot more comfortable in a Ford Crown Vic than in a cramped Prius.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:26 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Well Fleet, I am glad I saved my story about that Nova and my '72 Datsun 1200.

As I said, I loved that 1/4 mile run, but I tend toward handling.

I once suckered my pal with the Nova into a race thru a cemetery... very narrow winding road, a mile maybe. By the time he quit smoking his tires with the ~400 hp. I was ahead of him with my ~70 hp. He could never get around me on that particular course after that. I also beat him across a highway on my 10 speed too, so he was not real quick on the uptake.
Many people would be surprised how well some of the old muscle cars handled.

Here is an example I found (Car & Driver, Feb., 1970):

"Wheels and tires are now as wide as what you would have found on pure racing car a few years ago, and truly sophisticated handling packages (many with rear anti-sway bars) are standard equipment.

The point was forcefully pounded home at the GM proving grounds when we discovered that a [360 hp] Buick GS455 (of all things) loaded down to 4,300 lbs with every conceivable option, would still drive circles around an Opel GT, a 'sports car,' on the handling course. Detroit is building some very athletic automobiles, not just in acceleration but in handling and braking as well."

Old 07-11-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Many people would be surprised how well some of the old muscle cars handled.

Here is an example I found (Car & Driver, Feb., 1970):

"Wheels and tires are now as wide as what you would have found on pure racing car a few years ago, and truly sophisticated handling packages (many with rear anti-sway bars) are standard equipment.

The point was forcefully pounded home at the GM proving grounds when we discovered that a [360 hp] Buick GS455 (of all things) loaded down to 4,300 lbs with every conceivable option, would still drive circles around an Opel GT, a 'sports car,' on the handling course. Detroit is building some very athletic automobiles, not just in acceleration but in handling and braking as well."
That was 1970. I'm sure we're not comparing them with what's available today. Well even if you want to compare a modern day Mustang GT vs a Honda S2000, the S2000 clearly wins on a road course. (both with stock suspension). (I use one of my weekend toys to compete in SCCA events, and we're talking about a Porsche 944 turbo. I've embarassed quite a bit of modern day muscle cars.)

However, I will give credit to the Corvette, but then again, you're near Porsche 911 territory (pricewise). I've driven both for extended periods of time. While the Vette's torque is intoxicating and addictive, I still found more pleasure driving the 911 around town, on highways and at the track.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
But there are other factors. Like comfort. The driver and passengers are a lot more comfortable in a Ford Crown Vic than in a cramped Prius.
Good point, however I've also seen people being driven in Toyota Siennas, Ford Escape taxis in New York City. I think the perception is changing. Medallion owners realize they can save money by buying vehicles with better fuel mileage, and the American public/taxi rider is on board with that.

I will give the Crown Vic its credit for being a comfy car to be in (passenger). You feel like you're on water. But as a driver, I'd never buy one. I want to enjoy the drive. Being connected to the road is a necessity for me as a driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive