Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:00 PM

1,777 posts, read 4,861,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Your flat out wrong about your Ford V10 numbers... And the other guy complaining about his Ford V10 is just rattling on about how he thinks its underpowered. Pure conjecture out of you two. Currently we have 2 40ft Stretch Excursion limos. One has the 7.3 (4wd) and the other the V10 (2wd)... both have gobs of power and move along in traffic fine. No complaints with the gasser either, even when loaded to the brim (weighing several tons) it performs great. We also had an 05 unstretched Excursion with the V10 (4wd) that was a tank. My ONLY complaint with the V10 is the amount of fuel it sucked down. On the way back from TX I could only squeeze out 13mpg when averaging about 75mph. All those ratings are rwhp... this isnt the early 70's anymore, they dont do gross ratings at the flywheel... unless your an engine builder, then you do both!

And if you are going to try and preach to me about dodges and diesels you can save it, I already have a 4x4 2500 12v with the NV4500.
If you would be so kind as to read the facts and visit the links I posted. Those are REAL DYNO pulls with a v-10. Of course next someone will tell me that both of those V10s have 190k miles with original plugs and wires and never had an oil change. Of course I will be expected to believe that, as those people were obviously there at the time of the pull. But, remember, since I sell vehicles, I must surely not know anything about them. There you have it.

Last edited by JBMallory; 10-08-2009 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: trying to be polite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Your flat out wrong about your Ford V10 numbers... And the other guy complaining about his Ford V10 is just rattling on about how he thinks its underpowered. Pure conjecture out of you two.
It isn't conjecture. I was a Ford certified technician and all we ever heard about was how the v10 was underpowered and not what people expected it to be. Unfortunately my claims are NOT biased as the v10 is a fairly reliable engine, it just does NOT perform to what most people expect it to do.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:25 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,330,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
If you would be so kind as to read the facts and visit the links I posted. Those are REAL DYNO pulls with a v-10. Of course next someone will tell me that both of those V10s have 190k miles with original plugs and wires and never had an oil change. Of course I will be expected to believe that, as those people were obviously there at the time of the pull. But, remember, since I sell vehicles, I must surely not know anything about them. There you have it.
no but it does make it biased to the brand you sell which is dodge

Old 10-08-2009, 12:42 PM

nah, not at all, I prefer the Cummins Diesel and the Allison transmission, yet this is not a perfect world and last I checked the only way to get them together is in a Freightliner MT45 or similar. Oh and btw, I'm not here trying to sell vehicles, rather offering an educated opinion.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:57 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,704,014 times
Ok after reading this thread, I was determined to, for the sake of knowing, if what you say is true. Last night I called my buddy who works at Power Ford in North Scottsdale to hear his answer. I gave him the number you reported for the Ford V-10 in the Superduty and for the most part, I'd agree with you.

He told me the numbers on an '03 F-250 dyno were 210 hp at about 4400 rpm and about 300 ft lbs of torque at 3200 rpm.

I'm not really taking sides but out of curiosity, I just wanted to check it out for myself. I still believe the Ford 6.8L V-10 is a great engine but it's not remotely comparable to the powerstroke.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:00 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,227,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Since you apparently believe me to be an IDIOT... here you go, senor capitan!

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_M9nViCiSYVM/Si...10%20head1.jpg

http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/19...600x600Q85.jpg
I found a dyno sheet on a 99' F-150 5.4L with 99,000 miles making 220.67 Hp at around 4700 RPM, your telling me that 5.4 makes more HP than a 6.8L V10? I'm not saying your Dyno's are false, I'm just saying the trucks dyno'ed obviously had something wrong with them to make those numbers. Like I said before, why would Ford continue to offer this engine if your numbers are correct?

Old 10-08-2009, 02:05 PM

Once again, they are NOT MY numbers....

Ever consider maybe the 5.4 loses less power through the drivetrain?

Stranger things have happened

Old 10-12-2009, 06:22 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,785,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjl78 View Post
Thats nice. No I will let you continue to be smug and arrogant.
No sense in arguing with him, he's a fool.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:42 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,687,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
On a recent trip across the U.S., my wife and I discovered our 2007 Honda CRV was really too small to haul all of our stuff plus the baby's stuff. As of now we have one small child but we plan for another. Just with our stuff and the baby's stuff alone the SUV was packed.

I've decided for our next vehicle I want to purchase a full size quad cab truck. That way it can fit all of us comfortably, and all of the cargo can go into the bed - I'll either install a tonneau cover or a truck cap to keep it secire/keep the rain and weather off of it.

I've never owned a truck with a diesel before, but in the little bit of reading I have read they not only (usually) have more power than a typical gasoline V8, but they also get better fuel economy.

For instance....as of now I'm considering buying an older Ford F-250 with the 7.3 liter powerstroke, since I've been advised the 6.0 liter powerstroke was plagued with all sorts of engine issues. I was reading how some owners were claiming they were getting 15 mpg in town with their powerstrokes whereas their trusty Triton's were only getting maybe 10 at best.

But I don't know, so I thought I'd ask about diesel powered full size trucks. What do you have? How do you like it? What kind of mpg are you getting? Does yours get better mpg than a similar model with a gas engine? (i.e. Silverado diesel vs. Silverado w/5.3 L/6.0 L gas V8)

I'm late to this discussion - which is just fine, considering that I apparently only missed out on a major league pissing contest.

Here are my thoughts.

Diesel trucks are great, but they are expensive both to buy and maintain. They're beneficial to those who need to towing power and economy, but not necessarily for the regular family guy.

Have you made a decision yet? What about a Suburban or Expedition?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:04 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,290,606 times
I might be biased; The Duramax and Cummins are the best 2 now. Cummins for mpg, but the Duramax will make more power in a normal truck. As for transmissions, I kind of dislike all of the auto's! Besides, the Allison is heavy when changing!!! ( I'm in the middle of the pic where we were changing another blown Allison trans) Yes, that is the first Duramax diesel powered truck to ever run into the 9's in the 1/4
Attached Thumbnails
Any of you own a full size Chevy/Ford/Dodge diesel pick up?-first-pass-after.jpg   Any of you own a full size Chevy/Ford/Dodge diesel pick up?-putting-trans.jpg   Any of you own a full size Chevy/Ford/Dodge diesel pick up?-las-vegas.jpg   Any of you own a full size Chevy/Ford/Dodge diesel pick up?-orange-crush-burnout-after-allnighter-changing  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive