Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 05:22 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Okay, I know you didn't ask, but I just have to put my 2 cents... I would, if I were shopping with that amount of money, be searching for something from a private individual. I have almost never seen a car for sale from a dealer that was not at least a grand more than the same car from a private seller. Ever. If you aren't getting a warranty and don't need financing I can't imagine paying that much extra. And I have had really bad deals from dealers so yeah, I'm biased... (hidden problems and such).. with private sellers it's usually (not always) easier to know more about the history of the car, and heck, you can tell a lot just by going to a seller's house and seeing how they take care of their stuff, if they seem to have money (therefore had money to properly maintain a car), etc.

Sorry just had to pipe up!

Good luck whatever you choose.
Great advice. Plus you are more than likely to get service records from a private seller and run your own Car-Fax report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 05:32 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,694,782 times
My cousin has a 06 Sonata and has never had a problem with his and he has driven it from one state to another on a couple of occasions. As long as you take care of it properly you should have no problems with it. Good luck.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:55 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
I pulled up the actual customer reviews on both cars. It looks like the Nissan is definitely the better built car from reading them. The first review for the 2006 Nissan is...
"So far Excellent"

While the 2006 Hyundai is...

"An over rated piece of junk"

I posted links to both which have more than enough information for you to make a decision.

2006 Nissan Altima Reviews - Carsurvey.org

2006 Hyundai Sonata Reviews - Carsurvey.org

Old 08-30-2009, 07:19 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I pulled up the actual customer reviews on both cars. It looks like the Nissan is definitely the better built car from reading them. The first review for the 2006 Nissan is...
"So far Excellent"

I posted links to both which have more than enough information for you to make a decision.

las veags drunk,

Did you ever hear of statistics? I can quote a review on any car and make it seem like a piece junk or a piece of gold. These are overall ratings.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:25 PM

145 posts, read 435,444 times
Quote:
Okay, I know you didn't ask, but I just have to put my 2 cents... I would, if I were shopping with that amount of money, be searching for something from a private individual. I have almost never seen a car for sale from a dealer that was not at least a grand more than the same car from a private seller. Ever. If you aren't getting a warranty and don't need financing I can't imagine paying that much extra. And I have had really bad deals from dealers so yeah, I'm biased... (hidden problems and such).. with private sellers it's usually (not always) easier to know more about the history of the car, and heck, you can tell a lot just by going to a seller's house and seeing how they take care of their stuff, if they seem to have money (therefore had money to properly maintain a car), etc.

Sorry just had to pipe up!

Good luck whatever you choose.
That was my orginal route but every car i see is either older than i want or has a lot of mileage on it.

thanks everyone for the advice. i'm going to sleep on it some more even though i know theres a chance someone else will buy it while i'm thinking

Old 08-30-2009, 08:43 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingTheSunshine View Post
That was my orginal route but every car i see is either older than i want or has a lot of mileage on it.

thanks everyone for the advice. i'm going to sleep on it some more even though i know theres a chance someone else will buy it while i'm thinking
Do you have a military base / post near you? Often nearby is a great place to find good car deals from individual service members who have to leave and can't take it with them.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:55 AM

145 posts, read 435,444 times
Quote:
Do you have a military base / post near you? Often nearby is a great place to find good car deals from individual service members who have to leave and can't take it with them.

no i live in sanford florida there's not one that i know of. one of my coworkers said this is a good deal but she is just partial to nissans because she has a 99 maxima that is in great condition. like i said i don't want to pay more for a name brand IF the sonota is also a good car. i haven't actually seen this one yet because it's a private seller but it's in my price and mileage range but it's a compact car. i don't know how roomy it is i've never been inside a sentra.

how does it work if you buy from a private seller

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
"So far Excellent"

I think you picked just the worst review of the Sonata. Did you look at the rest? On the page you linked there were far more positive comments than negative. How about some of the other comments:

"I love mine, and would buy another"
"More value for money!!"
"Hyundai's family favorite sedan that's the perfect alternative to the Honda Accord"

The Altima is a fine car. But one thing to look out for is that ABS is optional on most models that year and not very common on the lower trim levels.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:55 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think you picked just the worst review of the Sonata. Did you look at the rest? On the page you linked there were far more positive comments than negative. How about some of the other comments:

"I love mine, and would buy another"
"More value for money!!"
"Hyundai's family favorite sedan that's the perfect alternative to the Honda Accord"

The Altima is a fine car. But one thing to look out for is that ABS is optional on most models that year and not very common on the lower trim levels.
Obviously, you did not fully read my post. I clearly said I posted the FIRST review on each link. I did not lie or hand pick anything. Go to each link, and reread the first review, and you will see that. There are good reviews, and bad reviews on both vehicles. However, I feel the Nissan was better overall. That is my opinion though, not fact.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:37 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
LV - pulling up the first review is absolutely meaningless. It is not representative of the reviews of the vehicles.

I agree the Altima is probably a better car. But unless someone reads your post carefully it implies the Sonata is a piece of junk. It clearly is not. The Sonata has a 9.1 user rating in Edmunds - which is very good. The Altima's user rating in Edmunds is 8.9 - worse than the Sonata. The Altima is a better handling and driving car but perhaps not as comfortable as the Sonata.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive