Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:42 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,540,413 times

Advertisements

1. All the technology in the world does not excuse inattentive/unsafe driving. Fine the idiots.

2. I drove trucks in NY (and the rest of the Northeast) for 5 years without ever hitting a low clearance location or being on a restricted route (and that ain't easy!!!)

3. I own and can read a Rand McNally Motor Carrier's Atlas and (with the customer's help) have never had a problem staying on the proper route. Why should I have to buy (or my carrier furnish) a GPS???

Now, having said that, New York is one of the most money-grubbing, truck-unfriendly states in the union. Artificially low weight limits and low underpasses are maintained to prevent reasonable truck access all over the state. Imagine, as a car driver, you paid your fair share (if not more) of road taxes but could not use the roads YOU helped pay for. Truckers truly don't want to be on routes where they are not wanted (after all, we have lives outside of the truck, too) However, states should not have the right to interfere with intra-and interstate commerce to the extent that they do. Folks, commerce MUST proceed, even if you must suffer a few inconveniences...

New York State routinely posts overhead clearance measurements 12" below what the actual clearance of the underpass is. (for snow pack) I don't remember the exact location in one of NYC's five boroughs (it's on the way to Hunt's Point Market) but truckers routinely cause wrecks by jamming on the brakes when they see the false low clearance sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 11:05 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,227,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Sounds like there's a market for a truck-based GPS system loaded with truck approved roads. Cha Ching!
Sorry, they already exist lol. A lot of them are laptop based and are pretty dang expensive.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:21 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,385,047 times
Man, I hate those GPSes that force me to take routes I know I shouldn't take. I shout at the GPS "No!", but it just keeps telling me to turn around and take the road with the low bridge. Eventually I just have to give in.

I guess I could use common sense to figure out that the GPS might not always be right, but who does that anymore? Come on.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:09 PM

941 posts, read 3,912,534 times
Oh, good lord.

Another technology dependence turning average people into blithering idiots.

I thought truckers were much safer drivers than the typical car driver?

Old 10-20-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post

I thought truckers were much safer drivers than the typical car driver?
HA!!! Maybe 20 years ago. Now it's anyone that can make it through the pathetic 3-4 weeks of school and their 1-2 months with a trainer that will more then likely be in the sleeper when the student is driving.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
HA!!! Maybe 20 years ago. Now it's anyone that can make it through the pathetic 3-4 weeks of school and their 1-2 months with a trainer that will more then likely be in the sleeper when the student is driving.
I doubt there is ANY vehicle where the driver is a seasoned veteran the first few months/years they drive it; experience is the best teacher. As I approach 1 million safe miles, I STILL learn something new every day. Yes, there are trucking companies that will hire any warm body that walks in the door under their own power. but for every clown, there are TONS of safe, professional men & women that move America's loads around the country. A hundred of them will pass you safely & courteously and the only ones you'll notice are the one or two idiots. Just like any other occupation. BTW, car drivers are at fault in almost 80% of car/truck crashes... (Source; University of Michigan and other studies)

Old 10-21-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I doubt there is ANY vehicle where the driver is a seasoned veteran the first few months/years they drive it; experience is the best teacher. As I approach 1 million safe miles, I STILL learn something new every day. Yes, there are trucking companies that will hire any warm body that walks in the door under their own power. but for every clown, there are TONS of safe, professional men & women that move America's loads around the country. A hundred of them will pass you safely & courteously and the only ones you'll notice are the one or two idiots. Just like any other occupation. BTW, car drivers are at fault in almost 80% of car/truck crashes... (Source; University of Michigan and other studies)
Your preaching to the choir, driver. I used to drive trucks before and during college. There are definitely alot of safe drivers out there, but there are alot of bad ones too. Some of the worst drivers I've ever come across had 10 yrs.+ experience. I know the public needs to have one image, but folks that are in or have been inside the industry know the game. Mega carriers have run trucking into the ground.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Your preaching to the choir, driver. I used to drive trucks before and during college. There are definitely alot of safe drivers out there, but there are a lot of bad ones too. Some of the worst drivers I've ever come across had 10 yrs.+ experience. I know the public needs to have one image, but folks that are in or have been inside the industry know the game. Mega carriers have run trucking into the ground.
On the way to my Columbus, OH delivery last night, I passed a truck from "Safety Transportation" as I pulled even with the driver's door, I looked over to see the driver WATCHING A MOVIE ON HIS LAPTOP. (they're out there...) I'm not making excuses for anyone. Driving professionally is a personal responsibility. Number of years holding a steering wheel is certainly no guarantee of safe & courteous driving. I sometimes believe that some of the safest truckers are the ones who are fairly new and not "comfortable" with the truck yet. Complacency kills.

Yes, deregulation and "pay by the mile" have made trucking a VERY tough life. So much so that many good drivers leave the industry as soon as they can. And I'm amazed that there are no federally-mandated requirements for "stick time" for drivers. But some drivers become good fairly quickly. And some should never be let loose with their own truck. So amny of us want to see tha "game" changed" but so many other interests that have deeper pockets than drivers win all the time...

I see where NJ just signed into law that cops can stop ANY vehicle with snow & ice on the roof. Just how are we supposed to clean the snow & ice off a trailer that's been sitting in a drop yard without any equipment and we can't carry the proper equipment to do the job??? Nobody did the cost/benefit analysis on that idiotic law. And I'll bet NY is next to jump on THAT money grab; PA started it first...

Old 10-22-2009, 09:53 AM

2,715 posts, read 11,912,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I see where NJ just signed into law that cops can stop ANY vehicle with snow & ice on the roof. Just how are we supposed to clean the snow & ice off a trailer that's been sitting in a drop yard without any equipment and we can't carry the proper equipment to do the job??? Nobody did the cost/benefit analysis on that idiotic law. And I'll bet NY is next to jump on THAT money grab; PA started it first...
Yeah but these huge trucks have snow and ice falling all over the cars behind them resulting in many serious injuries and fatalities.

It's the same situation with the SUV drivers here in NJ--most don't brush off their roofs, heck most just brush off enough to see out the front windows and they are also a huge danger to other drivers.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:43 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,041,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Yeah but these huge trucks have snow and ice falling all over the cars behind them resulting in many serious injuries and fatalities.

It's the same situation with the SUV drivers here in NJ--most don't brush off their roofs, heck most just brush off enough to see out the front windows and they are also a huge danger to other drivers.
If you cannot weather some snow coming off the body of and SUV, you should not be on the road!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive