Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,675,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Um, well, uhh, I've worked in repair shops for the better part of 15 years. We'll take in anything. Rarely see Toyota's and other Japanese makes, routinely see GM's and other American makes.... in a part of town where's it's 50/50 American/Imports.

I love my country, but we've got to figure out how to build better cars.
That whole line about the "closing of the gap" has been thrown around for 10-20 years, yet simply isn't being seen in repair shops. American cars have improved, but not nearly enough.
Very important point indeed. The concept of TQM was invented by........

"TQM was the brainchild of the late W. Edwards Deming; it supposedly helped Japan with its postwar economic recovery. But perhaps that was because it meshed with Japanese culture. It does not follow that TQM is a good fit for organizing America...."Quality" sounds like goodness, pure and simple. But with TQM, quality is not the product but the process. To institute the process, corporate trainers must bring about a "total cultural change," wherein all employees shed their individualism for a unified set of corporate values. Workers undergo hours of group training before they blend into the TQM process.... To tell employees upfront they must adopt an entirely new way of thinking can be frightening...""

TQM Total Quality Management

The concepts that Demming was teaching was offered to the American manufactures first but all largely rejected anything to do with TQM after WWII. The American's simply could not see the value of the change Demming was offering which they still reject to this day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:39 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Very important point indeed. The concept of TQM was invented by........

"TQM was the brainchild of the late W. Edwards Deming; it supposedly helped Japan with its postwar economic recovery. But perhaps that was because it meshed with Japanese culture. It does not follow that TQM is a good fit for organizing America...."Quality" sounds like goodness, pure and simple. But with TQM, quality is not the product but the process. To institute the process, corporate trainers must bring about a "total cultural change," wherein all employees shed their individualism for a unified set of corporate values. Workers undergo hours of group training before they blend into the TQM process.... To tell employees upfront they must adopt an entirely new way of thinking can be frightening...""

TQM Total Quality Management

The concepts that Demming was teaching was offered to the American manufactures first but all largely rejected anything to do with TQM after WWII. The American's simply could not see the value of the change Demming was offering which they still reject to this day.

W. Edwards Deming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Very interesting stuff.
My wife has been to Japan and tells me that perfectionism is simply a part of the culture. The flip side being stress levels.

You can certainly see the perfectionism in the way they engineer their cars. The things are very precise in every way. Every little detail is carefully thought through.
I imagine that translates to the assembly line as well.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:13 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,085 times
Ok, so to answer a few of you, I have never bought a used car, but my husband was raised buying used vehicles. So, he decided that with this purchase that we are going to buy an '08...whatever it is we end up buying. As far as the Toyota Sequoia is concerned, I'm with you several of you in regards to quality and reliability which is why I posted this thread. I have owned a Honda in my life and a Toyota in my life and was taught to steer clear of the so called domestic vehicles. That being said, I HATE the look of the new Sequoia! It is really ugly and my husband is not going to go for buying a Land Cruiser, plus I don't like the third row seat! The third row seat has been a huge issue for me on many SUV's. I like the Lincoln because the 3rd row folds completely flat and there is space behind the 3rd row for storage. On the regular Yukon, there is no storage room behind the 3rd row seat and that does not work for us! We travel a lot, with friends and family and our kids so we have to have storage behind the 3rd row. That is what has lead us down the path of the Yukon XL! So, we are going to test drive it and see how things go but I am not one who gets rid of my vehicles. When I find a vehicle that I love, I will drive it for 10 plus years so I need an extremely reliable vehicle!
Keep the comments and advice coming! Thanks fellow CD posters!

Old 11-12-2009, 01:03 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
I think you will find reliability in most of the full sized domestic SUV's. I have an older Chevy Suburban I use for towing trailers, and running through the woods and dirt roads. On average I put about 10,000 miles a year on it now down from a bit more earlier in it's life. It's a 1989 with 285,000 miles on it and it still runs like the day it came off the line. Always starts, runs like a top, and has never left me stranded. I do NOT take care of it either. I beat the ever loving be-jezus out of it and it just keeps going. When I bought it I said I would drive it until it died, I have been hoping it would die for the last several years so I can move on to a newer one .

Old 11-12-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
Ok, so to answer a few of you, I have never bought a used car, but my husband was raised buying used vehicles. So, he decided that with this purchase that we are going to buy an '08...whatever it is we end up buying. As far as the Toyota Sequoia is concerned, I'm with you several of you in regards to quality and reliability which is why I posted this thread. I have owned a Honda in my life and a Toyota in my life and was taught to steer clear of the so called domestic vehicles. That being said, I HATE the look of the new Sequoia! It is really ugly and my husband is not going to go for buying a Land Cruiser, plus I don't like the third row seat! The third row seat has been a huge issue for me on many SUV's. I like the Lincoln because the 3rd row folds completely flat and there is space behind the 3rd row for storage. On the regular Yukon, there is no storage room behind the 3rd row seat and that does not work for us! We travel a lot, with friends and family and our kids so we have to have storage behind the 3rd row. That is what has lead us down the path of the Yukon XL! So, we are going to test drive it and see how things go but I am not one who gets rid of my vehicles. When I find a vehicle that I love, I will drive it for 10 plus years so I need an extremely reliable vehicle!
Keep the comments and advice coming! Thanks fellow CD posters!
Please don't be offended but being a gal you tend to go with your feelings rather than cold hard logic like a fella. That said, cold hard logic is what's needed when you buy a vehicle to keep long term. In this case I'd suggest that you stick to the amenities of the vehicle and leave the mechanics to your husband to get right. That's how we bought vehicles for 40 yrs in my family and it works great.....as a shared experience that is the hallmark of a good marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I think you will find reliability in most of the full sized domestic SUV's. I have an older Chevy Suburban I use for towing trailers, and running through the woods and dirt roads. On average I put about 10,000 miles a year on it now down from a bit more earlier in it's life. It's a 1989 with 285,000 miles on it and it still runs like the day it came off the line. Always starts, runs like a top, and has never left me stranded. I do NOT take care of it either. I beat the ever loving be-jezus out of it and it just keeps going. When I bought it I said I would drive it until it died, I have been hoping it would die for the last several years so I can move on to a newer one .
You reinforce my point about buying a Suburban for the right long term reason.....longevity! Thank you...........

Old 11-12-2009, 02:52 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,887,865 times
Nissan Armada is worth a look as well.

I think any of the GM's with the 6.2L (403HP/417lbft) is the best bang for the buck. Drive one with the 6.2L and then go drive an Expedition with the 5.4L with 300HP. You will think the Expedition is towing a trailer behind it compared to the GMC/Cadillac.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:01 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Nissan Armada is worth a look as well.

I think any of the GM's with the 6.2L (403HP/417lbft) is the best bang for the buck. Drive one with the 6.2L and then go drive an Expedition with the 5.4L with 300HP. You will think the Expedition is towing a trailer behind it compared to the GMC/Cadillac.
yeah to bad ford ditched the super duty based excursion with the powerstroke diesel and triton 6.8 V-10 and GM ditched the 8.1 liter big block V-8 for the smaller 6.2 they should offer the 6.6 duramax diesel in the suburban for people that tow large trailers and haul 7-8 passengers but don't need a pick-up truck.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:23 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,085 times
Not offended at all Tightwad, but the reason I came to the forum was to get some real info from people who own these particular SUV's. I do understand what you are saying.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
Not offended at all Tightwad, but the reason I came to the forum was to get some real info from people who own these particular SUV's. I do understand what you are saying.
Whew! Boy, I'm glad you understood my intent! The way my wife and work it is she tells me what amenities she wants and I go match them to a vehicle then she pick the colors overall. Once those goals are matched we buy that vehicle for the best price we can find brand name aside.

Since I picked the vehicle I know I can deal, and live with, the day to day mechanics where my wife picked the colors and amenities she can live with the choice too. Win, win!!

Old 11-13-2009, 04:41 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,715,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Very interesting stuff.
My wife has been to Japan and tells me that perfectionism is simply a part of the culture. The flip side being stress levels.

You can certainly see the perfectionism in the way they engineer their cars. The things are very precise in every way. Every little detail is carefully thought through.
I imagine that translates to the assembly line as well.

Ill buy the culture part but certainly not how their cars are engineered. Everything is not perfect... in fact it isn't any better than any of the other manufacturers and if something is better it is only marginally so. They make decent cars but in no way are they works of art like a Samurai Sword.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive