Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 09:45 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Chinese garbage... thing would probably disintegrate if it hit a pothole.

they even have a jeep wrangler knock-off I mean do they even have any orginal designs that were not stolen for other car makers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 09:50 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
they even have a jeep wrangler knock-off I mean do they even have any orginal designs that were not stolen for other car makers.
Weird. I guess I've not paid much attention to Chinese vehicles.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:54 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Weird. I guess I've not paid much attention to Chinese vehicles.
haha me neither but I just googled chinese made 4x4's and a whole bunch of cheap knock-off's of other brands popped up hmm I wonder if lead based paint is optional

Old 12-25-2009, 09:59 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
haha me neither but I just googled chinese made 4x4's and a whole bunch of cheap knock-off's of other brands popped up hmm I wonder if lead based paint is optional
Makes me wonder if PAINT is optional.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:51 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
MONZA SUV- 4X4 and 2X4 Wagons, powered by Toyota and Isuzu Diesel based engines which are built to Toyota and Mitsubishi Technology to European and Japanese standards. so I guess they still would have to find a company to make the motors if they kick toyota out.
Toyota sells engines to many a car manufacturer. Lotus, BMW (Mini), Daihatsu (if they're still going), The Geo Prizm, back in the day, so on and so forth, I doubt they'll stop selling to Chinese companies, who afterall has a seriously massive customer base (China), where Toyota probably makes a lot of money (off of those engines)

Quote:
We don't oust corporations if we can't get a little truck. Your talking about mandates and restrictions... that is different than not having a model available. You can't place a mandate to HAVE a particular model, that's absurd. Hugo is a whiny p*ss pot. He won't get his way, Toyota will leave, and that son of a ***** will rot in his misery.
Actually, the manufacturing of that older model Toyota Landcruiser is often the reason they get good deals on building factories in poor/ less developed countries. They get to build the plant, cheaper labor, often cheaper electricity etc, in return they build a car that's now almost 20 years old, and sell it cheap, locally. It's fairly common.

All things said though, this won't ever happen.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:59 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Actually, the manufacturing of that older model Toyota Landcruiser is often the reason they get good deals on building factories in poor/ less developed countries. They get to build the plant, cheaper labor, often cheaper electricity etc, in return they build a car that's now almost 20 years old, and sell it cheap, locally. It's fairly common.

All things said though, this won't ever happen.

Definitely I agree. However if Toyota doesn't want to do it then they have a good reason for it... somehow it is in their best interest not to comply and no amount of whining is going to change that.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:42 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Quote:
Definitely I agree. However if Toyota doesn't want to do it then they have a good reason for it... somehow it is in their best interest not to comply and no amount of whining is going to change that.
Well, if you read the article, you'd see that Toyota announced the end of production of it in Venezuela, they are however still producing it, and wanted to get it approved for import to Venezuela, which never happened, but they can get the cars for the same price.

Chavez is just doing his thing again.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:40 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
My solution for all this: Build better roads there, so there will be less of a need for 4x4s. NO need for mandates for SUVs for poor AREAS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You guys act like the USA does not place any restrictions, standards or mandates on the cars made, sold or imported here. What do you think happens to Toyota if they refuse to make cars that meet our EPA targets and safety standards, unilaterally imposed on them by our government? Look who's calling someone an idiot without a clue.
True. Good you brought that up, very fair and balanced.

Quote:

Old 12-26-2009, 03:26 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Can you be more specific? I mean, about brands & models?

I'm not being snarky, or asking a leading question. I've not ever heard of any such vehicles.

Thanks!
The Soviets produced several SUVs under the Lada brand. They were imported into Canada since the 1970s. I have never heard ANYONE describe them as either sturdy or reliable.

Lada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lauding the Lada - Winnipeg Free Press Autos

Old 12-27-2009, 01:10 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
What I wouldnt give to have 5 minutes alone in a room with Chavez, with a nice, shiny pair of brass knuckles. I would knock the ever living snot out of that moron. He'd be pickin his teeth out of his crap for a month when I got done with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive