Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 02:32 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times

Advertisements

The unabashed Hyundai love just makes me giggle.

You all keep on with your fantasies. It is amusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 03:02 PM

404 posts, read 1,557,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
The reasoning is that they make crappy cars.

Look up a few posts. Someone is talking about a 2-year-old car that is already rattling and cracking and popping. That's crappy building.

They suck. They look great when you first buy them, but 4 or 5 years they can't hold a candle to a Nissan / Honda / Toyota. They are rather like American cars, which may explain why several people on this board fall all over themselves about them.

I've seen many Hyundai's a few years after purchase, and they flat-out suck. Used car managers hate them because there is always a laundry list of crap to be fixed on them.
i never said it was "rattling, cracking, and popping" from everywhere

i said either the headliner or glove box has an intermittent rattle (its a minor annoyance) and the plastics crack and pop for about a minute when cooling from hot or warming from cold. this is common in all cars which use hard plastics in the interiors, which are many. i ride in friends Honda's, Toys, and Fords which do the same. this is a compact car and its par for the course. or even this:

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659692

30 posts of rattling, squeaking Acura's

so its not such a unique problem with any vehicle. i don't troll for Hyundai, but i will state the facts. my Elantra is a solid, well built car with torsional rigidity 9% stiffer then a Toyota Corolla. so it has competitive build quality and after 30,000m NOTHING is loose, wearing, or falling off the car. period. and thats hard SoCal driving

Old 03-16-2010, 03:50 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
I've never owned a Hyundai, but I do believe that the quality is much better than it was even just a few years ago. I recently drove the new Sonata and was very impressed. Would I buy one? Not sure. I've driven Hondas and Toyota for 2 decades and never had any major problems. However, I do think Honda and Toyota need to improve their offerings. The Accord doesn't even offer USB integration and the Camry has a really awful looking interior. The Sonata is offering things like Bluetooth connectivity and USB integration standard. Now, I don't believe a car is just a list of features. But I do think it's very telling when a car company can't offer things that should be standard by now.

The Hyundai naysayers remind me of those people who scoffed at Honda and Toyota when they first came to America. People laughed at those cars and look where those companies are today. When Lexus debuted, a lot of people dismissed it as a dressed-up Toyota. Well we all know how successful Lexus is today. Frankly, I think some people are so loyal to their own brand that they'd rather diss any potential rival than admit it might be a quality product. I still don't know if I'd buy a Hyundai. But if the new Sonata and Genesis are any indicator, I bet a lot of Honda and Toyota customers will be switching brands. One thing's for sure. I'll never buy GM, Ford, or Chrysler.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:34 PM

this is a Hyundai, too. i never thought i'd buy a Hyundai, either. i was looking at the 2008 Corolla at the time and taking in all that wonderful resale value for a clean car with two previous owners

then i found my car on special because of a door ding THEY fixed for me and it was clearly an equal car and more, at least

and it has its own character, if bland. i am a years long Volvo driver (the box) so i appreciate bland. its a car and it works. solid, great ergonomics (as good as ANY car i've ever been in) good on gas, and its "not just another" Corolla or Civic. top rated by Consumer Report in its segment. i'm not making that up. and look at the interior of a '08 Corolla and then look at the one of a '08 Elantra. these were my choices at the time, the Elantra was made to compete with the Corolla, and i chose it over the Corolla for several reasons

its not perfect or for everybody. that would be silly. but it can't be denied its a good, solid, reliable car. unfortunately for Hyundai not all cars which come off the assembly line are quite equal. and because of their reputation you still see bad owner reviews and com0plaints about the car for just about everything. but these are common for every car make. but don't take my word for it, go to Edmunds and see how many call their Honda's, Toyota's, and Fords "cheap" and "rattle boxes" and "noisy." and they have real mechanical problems, too. bad ones in new cars. its just with Hyundai it looks really bad because people point and say "ha, you see!" but its not really that bad, as JD Power Initial Quality surveys also point to

so i just think you gotta give Hyundai a look and a bit of a break in your mind if you think they are incapable of building a good car. and all you V8 fans out there need to know they have a good one, and build big, luxurious cars, too. and smaller rear wheel drive sport coupes. yes, I have discovered a new car company, and they make pretty cool cars, believe it or not

but back to what they are capable of. i mean, this IS a Hyundai. and any company that can build it knows how to build cars

YouTube - 2011 Hyundai Equus

Old 03-16-2010, 04:36 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
I'm looking to get a killer deal on a Yaris later this year. This media hype is BS. No doubt funded by the GM and Chrysler and other American car manufacturers. Damn unfair I say. Toyota is a great car. Always has been, always will be. The Hyundais I have ridden in did not impress me one bit.

20yrsiBranson

Old 03-16-2010, 04:54 PM

a better look at the Equus. its a CAR believe it or not

YouTube - 2010 Hyundai Equus Review

Old 03-16-2010, 04:59 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I'm looking to get a killer deal on a Yaris later this year. This media hype is BS. No doubt funded by the GM and Chrysler and other American car manufacturers. Damn unfair I say. Toyota is a great car. Always has been, always will be. The Hyundais I have ridden in did not impress me one bit.

20yrsiBranson
Wow, that reminds me of a CNN article I read a while back - The Yaris is one of the 11 worst cars on the market according to Consumer Reports - 11 worst cars - Consumer Reports - Toyota Yaris (base, manual transmission) (7) - CNNMoney.com

Do yourself a favor and at least get a Corolla if you're so set on getting a Toyota!

Incidentally, two Hyundais were on the best list... and this list is kind of old. http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/...ars/index.html

So, I also went and looked at the latest CR annual car review, just for kicks. I wasn't surprised to find that there isn't a single Toyota on the list for the best cars under $25k.

Last edited by Sayantsi; 03-16-2010 at 05:08 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 05:04 PM

890 posts, read 3,701,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
The unabashed Hyundai love just makes me giggle.

You all keep on with your fantasies. It is amusing.
Whatever, man. I offered you facts and you ignored them, calling them fantasies. Just FYI, what you say doesn't bother me; after six years of ownership I've heard every false, ignorant comment about my car and as a result, I've grown the thickest skin of any non-politician. I have a great car for great money and what you think of it is really no concern of mine nor does what I drive affect you. I'm happy and last I checked, that's all that matters.

Last edited by rosecitywanderer; 03-16-2010 at 05:12 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 05:33 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
That would put Hyundai way above the big 3.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:55 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Ah, a man with sense. Exactly! Great points, great Post!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I've never owned a Hyundai, but I do believe that the quality is much better than it was even just a few years ago. I recently drove the new Sonata and was very impressed. Would I buy one? Not sure. I've driven Hondas and Toyota for 2 decades and never had any major problems. However, I do think Honda and Toyota need to improve their offerings. The Accord doesn't even offer USB integration and the Camry has a really awful looking interior. The Sonata is offering things like Bluetooth connectivity and USB integration standard. Now, I don't believe a car is just a list of features. But I do think it's very telling when a car company can't offer things that should be standard by now.

The Hyundai naysayers remind me of those people who scoffed at Honda and Toyota when they first came to America. People laughed at those cars and look where those companies are today. When Lexus debuted, a lot of people dismissed it as a dressed-up Toyota. Well we all know how successful Lexus is today. Frankly, I think some people are so loyal to their own brand that they'd rather diss any potential rival than admit it might be a quality product. I still don't know if I'd buy a Hyundai. But if the new Sonata and Genesis are any indicator, I bet a lot of Honda and Toyota customers will be switching brands. One thing's for sure. I'll never buy GM, Ford, or Chrysler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive