Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about buying GM?
Less likely now, because of bailout 11 16.42%
Less likely now, because of economy 1 1.49%
More likely now, to show support 3 4.48%
More likely, just because I like the cars 20 29.85%
I wouldn't buy GM regardless 32 47.76%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:12 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,572,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I think we should consider buying GM to help them get AWAY from being Government Motors.
I like some of their new cars. Though I think the Camaro is overhyped, I'd buy a Challenger before a Camaro. I like the new Malibu, especially the one with the V6, the is a lot of promise for the Kruze as well, which I understand will compete with the Toyota Corolla.

Buick is showing a lot of promise as well. So is Cadillac and their CTS-V, and XLR-V

GM is still crankin' out some bad ass cars

Buy GM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 07:39 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I'd like a list of which cars are built in the USA in Union Shops
UAW/CAW Made 2010 Cars and Trucks (http://www.uaw.org/uawmade/auto/2010/index.cfm - broken link)

There ya go.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:57 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,039,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Freedom of choice indeed and my choice is not peculiar at all. What I drive, I understand how it was built and can completely rebuild it myself and make it put out as much power as I want it to.
I did not say your choice was peculiar, just your definition of junk.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:11 AM

747 posts, read 2,758,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
I did not say your choice was peculiar, just your definition of junk.
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
Freedom of choice indeed and my choice is not peculiar at all. What I drive, I understand how it was built and can completely rebuild it myself and make it put out as much power as I want it to.
And it's, umm, peculiar (to say the least) to go on about freedom of choice and then basically deride other people for buying, in your own words, "junk"

Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
I guess if I wanted a sports car, I would buy a Corvette, you would have to pay at least twice the amount for any comparable European car. The new Camaro looks quite good, too.
But then again, I don't want a sports car They are like dinosaurs...
I read recently that GM and some Chinese car company are designing new cars for the future together, very compact, egg-shaped, upright cars with only two wheels

Old 03-26-2010, 08:52 AM

211 posts, read 641,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess if I wanted a sports car, I would buy a Corvette, you would have to pay at least twice the amount for any comparable European car.
I guess, if I wanted to pay $100,000 for a sports car with a cheap plastic interior, and which was only entertaining on a race track if you enjoyed sliding around every corner on the edge of control, then yeah, I'd buy a Corvette too.

Thing is, for that kind of money, I could pick up 2 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution sedans, leave one completely stock for daily driving, and dump about $10,000 into the other for a track day car, which would make 50% more horsepower than the Vette, rape it off the line, and drop it like a bad habit at the first corner. And I'd still have $10,000 left to spend on entry fees.

I realize Mitsubishi's had a rough go of it in recent years, but they've got some very solid models being sold in other countries. I have no idea why they insist upon rebadging the dumpy Dakota as their truck offering here in the States, when they have a top-rated turbo diesel truck of their own just about everywhere else (the L200).

I have nothing negative to say about anyone's preference for vehicle brand so long as they're educated drivers. It's the clueless, halfwit, consumer wh*re sheep out there who vote with their wallets for commuter appliances which imply freedom from the responsibility of driving, leading to the added complexity, weight, and cost of new models, and those myopic crackers who keep beating that "buy American" drum.

We buy what best suits our needs. It annoys me that there are increasing numbers of "drivers" who need automatic transmissions, traction control, blind spot sensors, back-up sensors, adaptive cruise control, automatic parking, bluetooth, iPod connectivity, DVD navigation, and now internet on the dash. It's also annoying that people would ask us to continue to coddle the likes of GM, suggesting we spend our money on substandard goods in order to support a failed enterprise.

Meh. If you drive (not operate, there's a difference) a GM and you turn your own wrenches, you're A-OK in my book. We can learn something from each other and have a good time talking cars.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:03 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,754 times
I'd buy a nice, low mileage 08 or 09 trailblazer ss in a heartbeat if my 05 tb was paid for. GM has excellent quality and longevity and I have had nothing but positive experiences.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:04 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
UAW/CAW Made 2010 Cars and Trucks (http://www.uaw.org/uawmade/auto/2010/index.cfm - broken link)

There ya go.
Thanks again I'll be choosing one from column A
It's about time to pay attention to buying American

Old 03-26-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post
I guess, if I wanted to pay $100,000 for a sports car with a cheap plastic interior, and which was only entertaining on a race track if you enjoyed sliding around every corner on the edge of control, then yeah, I'd buy a Corvette too.

Thing is, for that kind of money, I could pick up 2 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution sedans, leave one completely stock for daily driving, and dump about $10,000 into the other for a track day car, which would make 50% more horsepower than the Vette, rape it off the line, and drop it like a bad habit at the first corner. And I'd still have $10,000 left to spend on entry fees.
You can sink $10,000 into a lancer and make 50% more HP then a Vette? lol How?

Here are the Vette numbers:

LS3 430 HP
LS7 505 HP
LS9 638 HP

I don't know which Vette your speaking of but you claim you can get a 238 HP lancer to make 645, 757 or 957 HP? Come on.

I think you would be better off saving your money and just run a Lancer Ralliart against a Cobalt SS lol. Even though the Cobalt makes more HP and has better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, I'm sure that would be the safer bet for you. LOL

Old 03-26-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
I'd buy a nice, low mileage 08 or 09 trailblazer ss in a heartbeat if my 05 tb was paid for. GM has excellent quality and longevity and I have had nothing but positive experiences.
Same here. I got my Chevrolet dealer to let me test drive one a few years back and that 6.0 will get that TB moving!! Great little SUV, I wish they wouldn't have axed it.

The Jeep Cherokee SRT-8 is actually a little quicker and still in production if your looking for a performance SUV. That is if your a Chrysler fan .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive