Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:32 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times

Advertisements

I can only imagine the Sebring/Avenger being cheap inside, especially looking at a Charger. Though I think the Charger could be a solid buy with some interior refinement. I'll be looking forward to the 2011 update. However I'm not optimistic about the new engines. The company seems to be good at completely messing things up after they've worked the bugs out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 09:41 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Chrysler has always been my favorite US auto maker. Nissan being my favorite Japanese auto-maker

As far as Dodge goes, Rams, Chargers, and Caravans are their big sellers. The Avenger is a piece of junk. The Challenger is hot too, but it is too pricy to sell a lot of them, if sales do pick up, its going to be the base model V6, unfortunately. The Caliber has a lot going for it as well. It can compete in the compact market due to its fuel economy if gas prices continue soaring. If gas prices continue rising, the Caliber will sell

As for Chrysler's cars the 300 needs a new design badly (as does the Charger) the Town & Country will also sell. The Sebring, is like the Avenger, its a piece of junk, and its UGLY. Whereas the Avenger looks kinda cool, like a mini charger

Good things are going to happen at Chrysler

Old 04-12-2010, 01:23 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Dodge doesn't have the highest resale value in any category.

2010 Best Resale Value Awards - Kelley Blue Book (http://www.kbb.com/car-awards/best-resale-value-awards - broken link)
He is referring to Eastern Missouri, not the entire U.S.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:28 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Chrysler has always been my favorite US auto maker. Nissan being my favorite Japanese auto-maker

As far as Dodge goes, Rams, Chargers, and Caravans are their big sellers. The Avenger is a piece of junk. The Challenger is hot too, but it is too pricy to sell a lot of them, if sales do pick up, its going to be the base model V6, unfortunately. The Caliber has a lot going for it as well. It can compete in the compact market due to its fuel economy if gas prices continue soaring. If gas prices continue rising, the Caliber will sell

As for Chrysler's cars the 300 needs a new design badly (as does the Charger) the Town & Country will also sell. The Sebring, is like the Avenger, its a piece of junk, and its UGLY. Whereas the Avenger looks kinda cool, like a mini charger

Good things are going to happen at Chrysler
You are viewing the world through Chrysler colored glasses. The Caliber is a terrible vehicle even though it has distinct looks. The interior is awful. The engines are poor. And is not selling well. Other compact vehicles will outsell the Caliber no matter what happens to fuel prices.

If gas prices rise, sales of the Charger, Challenger, and 300C will fall. all three are thirsty and heavy. In V6 trim they are slow. The new Pentastar engine will help Chrysler.

The Avenger looks like a mini-Charger - but I think that's uncool. It was a cheap and unoriginal styling effort.

Other problems:

Too many small SUVs. There is no need for the Patriot, Libery, Compass, and Nitro.

The Jeep Commander is a complete dog.

No good small cars. Nothing to compete with Civic, Corolla, Focus, etc.

The new Grand Cherokee could be where things turn for Chrysler.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:23 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The Jeep Commander is a complete dog.

No good small cars. Nothing to compete with Civic, Corolla, Focus, etc.

The new Grand Cherokee could be where things turn for Chrysler.
Personally, I kind of like the new Fiat 500 that has been marketed in Italy the last three years. Got to see one last month at the Lane Automotive Museum in Nashville. The European model gets about 46 mpg which probably means that the US well get one closer to 34 mpg.

However, I have to ask myself whether it is really wise to try a car new to the US market and whether I really want to have the car serviced by a Chrysler dealership.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:52 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
here the new re-styled 300C

I agree the should ditch the small suvs that are based on the same platform keep the jeep liberty and dodge nitro but ditch the Patriot and Compass I say market the Charger as fleet and rental cars like ford did with the crown vic as for small and mid size cars fiat should ditch the caliber and avenger and bring their own models in

Old 04-13-2010, 04:06 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Dodge doesn't have the highest resale value in any category.

2010 Best Resale Value Awards - Kelley Blue Book (http://www.kbb.com/car-awards/best-resale-value-awards - broken link)

Go price a truck on a lot. Here you will pay more for the Dodge than anything else. A Cummins powered Dodge is the most sought after diesel powered pickup in used trucks. for good reason, they are the cheapest to operate, feed, and will run 500,000+ without needing a rebuild. by 450,000 miles on a powerstroke or a duramax, you will have rebuilt it. Plus the Cummins is cheaper to rebuild. Couple that with the mid 20's mpg in this day and age of epa mandated crap in the pump, compared to mid teens mpg for the others, in a body style truck most people like, the Dodge wins in real life resale value. I know what the books says, but i've been looking at trucks for 3 months and know what I am seeing in real life too.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:08 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
here the new re-styled 300C

I agree the should ditch the small suvs that are based on the same platform keep the jeep liberty and dodge nitro but ditch the Patriot and Compass I say market the Charger as fleet and rental cars like ford did with the crown vic as for small and mid size cars fiat should ditch the caliber and avenger and bring their own models in

Still no trunk. the biggest issue with the entire platform is the lack of trunk space and on a 300, it looks unfinished in design. add 12" to the rear of it (300) then it would start to look right. Not great, but acceptible. The front and rest of the car looks ok in my opinion.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:41 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If gas prices rise, sales of the Charger, Challenger, and 300C will fall. all three are thirsty and heavy. In V6 trim they are slow. The new Pentastar engine will help Chrysler.
Gas prices did rise back in 2008 to $4+ in many areas but those cars haven't been axed yet. What percentage of sales are V6's? I rented a 300 Touring and a base Charger, both with the 3.5L and got 26 mpg highway for each car. Considering their bulk, that's not bad at all. With the 3.5 they're not performers, but not all that slow either. The main complaint I have with them is the seats and cheap-ass interiors.

And the midsize styling knock-off vs the full size is nothing new... look at Stratus vs Intrepid. But you're right-- the Avenger styling is pretty bad. Overall I still think Chrysler has the best looking vehicles, and have for awhile.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:40 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
I agree Chrysler Corp's strength has been styling. Although I dislike the PT, it was interesting. The 300C was cool (but getting old now). The Challenger is good looking. I think the Jeep Commander is hideous though.

As for Fiat - the 500 does look like an interesting small car. But is America ready to trust Fiat? When Fiat left the US market years ago it was because their cars constantly blew up. And buyers got tired of it.

I would not consider a Fiat until they had been on US roads for at least three years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive