Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 03:16 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,771 times

Advertisements

Can Airplanes be Hacked with an Android App?

While such a thing may be possible, I don't think it's as easy as he suggests. I've been involved in the design and certification of wi-fi systems on airliners, and one thing the FAA required us to make sure of was that it was not possible to hack into aircraft systems via wi-fi. Any interfaces with aircraft systems were receive-only.

The researcher claims he can access the flight management computer by sending a message through ACARS or ADS-B. Seems pretty far-fetched to me, especially from a phone app. Plus wouldn't he have to know what kind of FMC the plane had in order to know what code to send it?

To me, it's just a lot of needless hyperventilating in the media over something that is really unlikely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 04:37 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
No way.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:12 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
I think this is a bit far fetched...The ACARS is used to send communication to ground stations, and are coded to send directly to your company's dispatch center, who, are using a computer system...so hacking into that, is possible. The ACARS is only one aspect of the Flight Management System. Saying that you have the ability to hack into an ACARS, and which works through the same system that controls speed, altitude, and direction is stretching things a bit...it's the equivilant of saying "I can send you an e-mail, and by sending you an e-mail can force you to get off the couch and go into the kitchen to make me a sandwich".

If the company (dispatch) sends a flight crew a message via the ACARS, it will have ZERO bearing on aircraft speed, altitude, or direction. They may send a recommendation to avoid upcoming weather, tell someone to call their family when they land, or explain what gate you're parking at. Directional and altitude guidance is given from ATC alone, and done via radio traffic. The pilots then input the data either into the FMS which is synced with the auto pilot, or they make the necessary changes into the autopilot system directly.

I guess this guy is alleging that there is no system security between the FMS ACARS accessibility and the navigational units of the FMS. I find that part interesting, but it would take much more than his current allegations to convince me that it's possible.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:06 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,788 times
Want to hack into a commercial aircraft and send its passengers screaming in panic?
Spoiler
There's an app for that.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:02 AM

175 posts, read 406,244 times
I'm sure he would know the sequence(sarcasm). Too much fantasy out there....

Old 05-30-2013, 04:30 PM

213 posts, read 422,413 times
ACARS is not the problem. The problem is the ADS-B. Too many security flaws in the system as of now. Will someone control an aircraft through the system, I doubt that, but the other possibilities is pretty scary.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:37 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Sure maybe it is possible.

Overcoming it is easy. Lets see buttons that will turn off the autopilot on the most large planes. Autopilot trim disconnect button (Two of those), take off / go around button (Two of those), the AP button , nose up / nose down trim toggle (two of those) , hit the stall warning test button, and if all else fails pull the circuit breaker for the Autopilot.

Anyways, as long as their is there are pilots up front things will be just fine.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:41 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
he's getting his 15 minutes of fame.
soon to be visited by men in black

Old 06-21-2013, 06:44 AM

491 posts, read 753,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
I think this is a bit far fetched...The ACARS is used to send communication to ground stations, and are coded to send directly to your company's dispatch center, who, are using a computer system...so hacking into that, is possible. The ACARS is only one aspect of the Flight Management System. Saying that you have the ability to hack into an ACARS, and which works through the same system that controls speed, altitude, and direction is stretching things a bit...it's the equivilant of saying "I can send you an e-mail, and by sending you an e-mail can force you to get off the couch and go into the kitchen to make me a sandwich".

If the company (dispatch) sends a flight crew a message via the ACARS, it will have ZERO bearing on aircraft speed, altitude, or direction. They may send a recommendation to avoid upcoming weather, tell someone to call their family when they land, or explain what gate you're parking at. Directional and altitude guidance is given from ATC alone, and done via radio traffic. The pilots then input the data either into the FMS which is synced with the auto pilot, or they make the necessary changes into the autopilot system directly.

I guess this guy is alleging that there is no system security between the FMS ACARS accessibility and the navigational units of the FMS. I find that part interesting, but it would take much more than his current allegations to convince me that it's possible.
ACARS will replace HF, no need for SELCAL soon hopefully. Btw you CAN have the ADS, ADC & ECU talk to the ACARS system... in fact many airlines use this to measure fuel consumption, ROD at TD (vertical speed upon landing) and in the future even more tightly packed RVSM capabilities... like in uncontrolled NAT's.

None of it is enough to control an aircraft though.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:47 AM

491 posts, read 753,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauri View Post
ACARS is not the problem. The problem is the ADS-B. Too many security flaws in the system as of now. Will someone control an aircraft through the system, I doubt that, but the other possibilities is pretty scary.
There are only 4 things that will change A/P modes, none of them go through ADS-B
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation