Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 09:39 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,038,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
My theory is just as valid as all the others, until proven otherwise.
We earthlings don't even want to consider that this could be an alien intervention, because we are not equipped to handle that technology wise, or emotionally, still, it is a real possibility.

Bob.
Yes, your theory IS just as valid as all the others. I would guess, in the grand scheme of life, even the brightest brains know not much more than a pin dot of existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 09:42 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Malaysia Flight MH370: 11 Terrorists Arrested on Suspicion of Involvement in Disappearance of Flight

Here's an article about the 11 terrorists who were arrested.

Interesting that they mention the Russian report that the plane actually landed in Afghanistan, something we'd heard before but may have overlooked. It's starting to sound more and more like (to me, anyway) that it was headed for land and that it was hijacked. Whether it ever made it to land or whether it crashed into the sea before it ever got there?

Old 05-04-2014, 12:39 AM

2,410 posts, read 4,458,748 times
So if true, there had to be some lead-up to these arrests--yet Malaysia didn't think to tell the other countries that have spent millions looking for the plane? Odd.

That newspaper seems legit, but I noticed that Google News didn't seem to pick up the story.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:25 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times
News Video, How deep is deep? Imagining the MH370 search underwater.

Just how hard is it to find a plane at the bottom of the ocean?

Imagine standing on a mountain top and trying to spot a suitcase on the ground below. Then imagine doing it in complete darkness.

How deep is deep? Imagining the MH370 search underwater - CNN.com

Old 05-04-2014, 09:11 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,335,922 times
I've largely stayed the heck away from all this speculation which has turned into a battle of nitwits, not unlike some folks you see here in the States, all of which are nut cases ("I'm Jesus" "No, like hell you are...."I'M Jesus")

Nobody here knows for sure what happened. So how some can sit there and say "Your theory is preposterous but mine is the most likely scenario" is equally absurd if not egregiously arrogant. You can't prove that it DIDN'T get abducted by aliens any more than someone else can prove that it blew to smithereens midflight.

Until the plane-intact or otherwise-is found and pictures publicly released, anything is possible. And no, unlike with that Bin Laden BS, we are NOT going to just "have to take your word for it". We are going to need clear and unambiguous proof beyond a grainy B/W picture of some mysterious piece of metal on the ocean floor.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:44 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Chris Goodfellow's latest observations on Google+:

Obfuscation & Re-direction

This week the Malaysians released a preliminary 5 page investigative report including and an airwaybill that was sent to ICAO. It is more significant for what it did not contain than for what it did. I would have expected a lot more but let me just focus on a few things.

First, the release of the cockpit voice communications. I’ve listened three times. I detect nothing out of the ordinary whatsoever. No stress at all. Whatever happened after the last call ending with the call sign “malaysian 370†happened suddenly and unexpectedly to the pilots.

The fact 17 minutes transpired before the controllers started to worry about lost communication is not extraordinary in itself. The craft was being handed from one center to another. It should have reported in immediately to the new center Ho Chi Minh. HCM are the ones who started looking after 17 minutes as far as I can determine. The fact the transponder return disappeared 2 minutes after the last call might have gone unnoticed at KL control as they assumed it had handed off. HCM I suppose eventually figured out they had no call and they (HCM) lost the return near BITOD intersection. This is new information as HCM confirm they had radar contact and when the return stopped and they had no call from MH370 that started the land line calls back and forth to KL. BITOD is 36 miles north, north east of IGARI. Perhaps of significance, this actually places the plane closer to McKay.

The fact SAR was not activated until 4 hours later is somewhat disturbing to say the least. The report says KL ATC spoke with Malaysian Airlines dispatch who told them the plane was over Cambodia. This is not explained further. It needs to be. Cambodia just wasn't on the route. When communications is lost with a large commercial plane and it disappears from radar one would think that SAR would be given a heads up almost immediately in parallel with a continuing radio search through all the nearby centers and other aircraft enroute in an attempt to re-establish communication. Granted it was 1:30 in the morning but it is pretty clear to me operational protocols for such events were lacking at the Malaysian ATC and Malaysian Airlines for alerting the appropriate authorities in a timely manner.

Furthermore, during this time the report indicates military radar did track the plane back across the peninsula and into the straights. Only if someone had alerted the military that this was mh370 perhaps planes could have been scrambled to intercept and determine what was going on. 4 hours is far too long. An opportunity lost.

But what really stuns me is the cargo Airwaybill. It took 14 days for the government to come clean that there was 200kg of li-ion batteries in the cargo. Now here we have an airwaybill that states 2,300 kg. that is a consolidated shipment of li-ions batteries. Only afterwards do they say "and other undetermined radio and electronic parts!" Good grief, this is supposedly an investigative report of a major aircraft crash! The exact details of each and every piece of cargo should have been broken down in an addendum to this airwaybill. The fact we are left wondering once again what was the exact cargo just leads to more speculation. The fact the real shippers and real consignees of each piece of the consolidated report makes mockery that this is an investigative report.

The world’s media should be screaming for details and should demand that someone at ICAO have the backbone to stand up and demand all the details of the cargo.
Is it just more obfuscation or are they out to win the Goodfellow award for stupidity in thinking that such an airwaybill would suffice to quell the demand to kniow what was the real cargo?

And then we are treated today with the Re-direction. The news of a round up of suspected Al Quaeda supporters. Neither you or I, nor I suspect the Malaysian government, have any idea of what definitively caused the accident at this point and once again to point the media off into a speculative frenzy is pointless. All these investigations should be carried out in the background and no mention should be made until there is unequivocal evidence of terrorist involvement. Just because people are rounded up does not make it fact for me. It fuels speculation.

What the Malaysian government must understand is that obfuscation and re-direction don’t cut it for me and I suspect 99% of the other people who have followed this story from day 1. Presenting such a report to ICAO is frankly an affront to the intelligence of everyone. The report should include a detailed analysis of the military radar tracking that could stand up to forensic examination by third parties, otherwise it has no credence whatsoever.

It only serves to confirm my feeling and suspicion that the cargo is the problem and has been the problem all along and perhaps some do not want the plane found. I cannot believe even the radar tracks anymore. Maybe indeed the craft is up there in the South China Sea near where McKay saw the flash. Perhaps the Chinese themselves, since certain companies are consignees of the cargo, do not want it found. Who really knows anymore? Everything is on the table in terms of what happened.

All I know if something went amiss on that craft that night, whether it was a fire because of the cargo or pilots’ oxy system or a bomb, the Captain and co-pilot did their level best to save the craft and its passengers. I climbed on board this story because I felt they were being attacked without any factual evidence. Listening to the cockpit tapes over and over just tells me this was a professional crew doing their job.

If, as reported but not confirmed, the U.S. military did indeed intercept a mayday or other call from the plane with the words that the plane was breaking up, it would be nice to just confirm that for the peace of mind of the families and everyone else. It would end the endless speculation of hijacking, Diego Garcia conspiracies and other scenarios.

I would like to think someone will stand up and confirm or deny any last call after "Goodnight Malaysian 370".

Old 05-04-2014, 10:47 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,991 times
Some time ago, I remember hearing an official for counterterrorism speak about the fact that they have not ruled it out. The Mayor of Boston and New York haven't either. Remember that General saying the plane was in Afghanistan?

Maybe they have been participating in the search so they can rest their minds if the plane is found in the Indian Ocean, they can cross this plane off of the list of things they have to worry about.
If this turns out to be terrorists, I am thinking about the 2 with no passports, maybe the pilot crashed the plane or put it on autopilot and let them kill him rather than risk the lives of thousands that might be killed if he hadn't.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:24 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
So if true, there had to be some lead-up to these arrests--yet Malaysia didn't think to tell the other countries that have spent millions looking for the plane? Odd.

That newspaper seems legit, but I noticed that Google News didn't seem to pick up the story.
Personally, I wouldn't put much stock in those arrests, yet. For all we know, Malaysian authorities are just seeking a scapegoat, and easy closure to the situation. Kind of like when the police nab a random guy and force him into a confession just so they can say they solved the crime.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:25 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Some time ago, I remember hearing an official for counterterrorism speak about the fact that they have not ruled it out. The Mayor of Boston and New York haven't either. Remember that General saying the plane was in Afghanistan?
He said it was in Pakistan.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:53 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Okay, so we have a general saying it is in Pakistan, the Russian equivalent of our CIA? saying it was in Afghanistan. Eye witnesses saying they saw it on fire or crashing not too long after it turned back past Malaysia. An Australian organization that thinks they have spotted it in the Bay of Bengal.

That would seem to point to attempted or successful hijacking or trouble with the plane (possibly caused by its contents.)

(just adding up some of the non scientific evidence, some that seems to have been hushed up.) Now I'm skeptical of the scientific "proof" that it has to be in the deep Indian Ocean. Pings and Immarsat and all. But how and why could the "proof" be wrong? I'd like to know and I am not a 100% fan of science as absolute. Could they have heard pings and still be wrong? Could Immarsat have made those incredible calculations and have been wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation