Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 08:50 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,187 times

Advertisements

Well it's been three days since they thought they may have seen the wreckage and nothing new has come out. I can't help it, but after hearing the recording and the lack of ANY new clues, I'm starting to lean towards, Aliens again.

If this last clue, from the satellite images turns up a blank, then this one is in the history books folks. Made for TV, Bermuda triangle, government conspiracy, secret weapons testing yada yada yada..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 08:56 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Are you counting pilot hijacking or pilot suicide in the same category as terrorism?
The CNN analyst wonders why the pilot would fly the plane for several extra hours, possibly risking passenger inteference with their plan, when they could have just nose dived the plane in the water half way between Malaysia and Vietnam.
I doubt anyone realized the plane had turned west when it did. It was 1am, people were probably trying to sleep. Or the captain could say they were going to avoid some turbulence. He programs in a new destination, puts it on autopilot, depressurizes the plane, and let's the plane fly itself. Meanwhile everyone goes into hypoxia which is like being drunk, perhaps worse.

Quote:
So, what motive do you believe the pilot(s) had?
Who knows. But if the debris they found off Australia is really 370, it appears the plan was quite well thought out long beforehand. It is all very sad. I just hope everyone on board did not have to suffer through hours of terror.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:05 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
The Stewards and Stewardesses have access to their own emergency oxygen systems. The pilot can't turn them off, they are self contained.

Every person has a different tolerance in a depressurization situation. The passenger cabin crew are trained to deal with depressurization. If the pilot turned off the pressurization then he would still have to deal with the passenger cabin crew.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:19 PM

The pilot is behind a locked, reinforced door. What can the crew do even if they wanted to?

Old 03-21-2014, 10:02 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
...You can land it on a strip of grass assuming that the strip is long enough.
Eh....technically, i guess you could...but non-technically i wouldn't call it a landing. A loaded 777 isn't going to make a soft-field landing like a Cessna 170, hell even a 310. I honestly don't even believe sod would hold the weight of a 777, even on fumes. There are plenty of concrete airfields throughout the country that don't have the load bearing capacity to support the weight of a large transport category aircraft, much less a random patch of grass in the middle of no-where.

Now, you could attempt an off airport landing, and you could likely survive one if the "field" was long enough and flat enough, but I'm almost hesitant to call it a landing in the most used sense of the word.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:20 PM

542 posts, read 691,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The pilot is behind a locked, reinforced door. What can the crew do even if they wanted to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The Stewards and Stewardesses have access to their own emergency oxygen systems. The pilot can't turn them off, they are self contained.

Every person has a different tolerance in a depressurization situation. The passenger cabin crew are trained to deal with depressurization. If the pilot turned off the pressurization then he would still have to deal with the passenger cabin crew.
In a documentary about Helios Flight 552, where the plane flew for hours after everyone was knocked out from the depressurization, a flight attendant survived to the end by using the portable oxygen canisters. They only work for an hour; he'd gone through three of them.

He was also able to enter the cockpit by entering in a security code on the lock (they could hear the beeps on the voice recorder). Do all cockpit doors have the same type of lock, allowing all crew access?

Old 03-21-2014, 10:41 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captsam View Post
Not necessarily. It could have mirrored another inbound flight.

Malaysian woman 'saw missing MH370 in water near Andaman Islands' | Mail Online
This should be checked out. It was negligent for them not to check this out, after she went so far as to file a police report.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 PM

I suppose the pilot could make it very hard to open the door, like barricade it.

Even if they find 370 it may be hard to know what exactly happened on the plane.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:08 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61
...You can land it on a strip of grass assuming that the strip is long enough.
At night?

Old 03-21-2014, 11:53 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,956,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
At night?

None of this could have happened at night. So many people say the plane could not have landed anywhere because the well informed public would have seen it...even though at the time of possible landing it would have most likely been in the dark AND not even reported missing as yet.

(I'm being sarcastic)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation