Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 11:13 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,581,436 times

Advertisements

Although It may be, what's the likelihood of you surving a plane crash vs car crash. I dont know about you but I'd MUCH rather be on the ground in the event of engine or mechanical failure rather than 30,000 feet in the air over the mid atlantic.

Statistically speaking, yes air travel is safer than traveling by car, but what's the survival rate regarding accidents for both modes of transportation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 11:42 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Although It may be, what's the likelihood of you surving a plane crash vs car crash. I dont know about you but I'd MUCH rather be on the ground in the event of engine or mechanical failure rather than 30,000 feet in the air over the mid atlantic.

Statistically speaking, yes air travel is safer than traveling by car, but what's the survival rate regarding accidents for both modes of transportation?
Agreed! I feel much safer on the ground, regardless of what the statistics say. And I think the statistics might be a little skewed, because they compare travel miles I believe. And jets traveling at 600 MPH obviously travel each mile faster than cars traveling 65 MPH, so naturally, traveling by car exposes you to more drive time than traveling by air. But is that best way to compare air travel to car travel?

Old 08-14-2014, 11:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
How do you know your airline is safe? - CNN.com

still far safer than automobile when considering a metric like % of trips based take off versus % of unique trips in a car - and by multipliers safer

Air travel is very safe - now when something goes wrong it really goes wrong but with auto travel thing go wrong a lot more compared to air travel

Old 08-14-2014, 12:18 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
I'm not sure why the OP objects to the phrase "air travel is the safest way to travel," and I'm not sure how else he would express the fact that one is much less likely to die in an air crash than in any other type of transportation accident.

I understand that his issue is that, if you actually do experience a crash, your odds of dying in that accident are far greater on a plane than in a car. Of course, it's not quite an apples to apples comparison; car accidents run the gamut from a little tiny scratch in the paint all the way up to multi-vehicle pileups. If you compared similar types of accidents -- "hull loss" aviation accidents vs. car crashes where the vehicle is "totalled" -- I think the fatality-rate gap would narrow some.

Not that the OP's focus is invalid, of course; but I think a better metric to use is the rate of fatalities per unit of occurence (defined however you like -- miles driven vs. miles flown, number of trips by car vs. by plane, etc.) No matter how you slice it, the odds of dying on any given airline flight are so very much smaller than they are in any given car trip.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
How do you know your airline is safe? - CNN.com

still far safer than automobile when considering a metric like % of trips based take off versus % of unique trips in a car - and by multipliers safer

Air travel is very safe - now when something goes wrong it really goes wrong but with auto travel thing go wrong a lot more compared to air travel
I'd rather something go wrong when I'm grounded in my car though.

Lets take these 2 scenarios.

1. I'm in my car and I catch a flat. I either pull off and change it myself or call for assistance and have someone else do it.

2. I'm in a plane and upon decending the pilot discovers the landing gear isnt opening up in which case YOU'RE TOTALLY SCREWED!!! Now there are procedures for such a thing but they are very risky which can lead to a crash/explosion/etc upon landing.

Now I'm not against air travel as I travel by air 3-4 times per year. I just dont agree with the entire notion that its the safest form of travel. Statistically there are faaar fewer plane crashes but when a plane does crash it usually comes with everyone on board dying.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
^ I get what you are saying

And if asked which would I rather be in something went wrong I will choose a car every day of the week. Still doesn't change the facts about chances of dying which are far greater with each auto trip then each take off

catastrophic issues with planes don't have much chance but even crashes like the SFO landing - msot people lived and it appears a few who did were actual part of a auto accident oddly enough (I know an anomly of sorts there) but ironic in this sense

here is a recent landing gear issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LJ9YWfAT5M

Old 08-14-2014, 12:44 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,315,772 times
Hmm, I personally know of at least a dozen folks who have been killed in a car accident. I know at least twice that many that are still dealing with the injuries they've suffered in the same situation.

In a previous career in the fire service I've also seen quite a few dead folks.

In my entire life, I've known 5 people that were killed in light aircraft accidents and none in commercial aviation. I've also been in an "unscheduled" crash landing in a helicopter. No damage, but a complete change of underwear.

I'm still terrified of driving to and from the airport.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:05 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:

I've travelled on Aeroflot many, many times. Countless times, both internationally, and domestically in Russia. I'm still here. No incidents. Not a hint.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Hmm, I personally know of at least a dozen folks who have been killed in a car accident. I know at least twice that many that are still dealing with the injuries they've suffered in the same situation.

In a previous career in the fire service I've also seen quite a few dead folks.

In my entire life, I've known 5 people that were killed in light aircraft accidents and none in commercial aviation. I've also been in an "unscheduled" crash landing in a helicopter. No damage, but a complete change of underwear.

I'm still terrified of driving to and from the airport.

So in your lifetime you personally knew a total of around 17 people who have died in car/airplane accidents?

Where do you live!?

Old 08-14-2014, 03:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:

It's not just that airline planes are safer than cars, they are VASTLY safer than cars. More than 2,000 times safer than cars on a per mile basis. That means that the drive to the airport is by far the most dangerous part of a 1,000 mile trip on an airline. Or as another analyst put it,

Quote:
“A person who took a 500-mile flight every single day for a year, would have a fatality risk of 1 in 85,000.”

U.S. transportation safety over time: Cars, planes, trains, walking, cycling Journalist's Resource: Research for Reporting, from Harvard Shorenstein Center
Stop, think... about 35,000 people a year die in auto accidents in the US. That's nearly 100 a day. So by this time of the year, on average, about 23,000 Americans have already died in car crashes, many of them within 15 miles of their home. Now look at how many people have died in airline crashes in the US so far this year... zero!

And what's the probability of surviving a car crash in which you die? Zero!

For some reason many people are TERRIBLE at assessing relative risks, and it seems to be because those people look at situations emotionally, rather than rationally, putting inordinate weight on whatever choice is the most anxiety producing for them personally, rather than picking the choice that is clearly far safer on a factual basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation