Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 08:44 PM

10,832 posts, read 4,521,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
American 191, a DC-10 at ORD, May 1979.

I was on duty in the Control Tower at a Naval Air Station, 7 miles away.

^^^ this

those people died because the pinchers at AA tried to shave time and money off the manufacturers maint procedure and when EVERYONE heard the large, unnatural CRACCCKKKK!, no one went to look.

plane might have made it had they taken some time to shoot it and continue the climb out. they slowed - which was dumb - it was never landing with that fuel on board - with asymmetrical slats - it was rolling as commanded by god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 09:07 PM

1,212 posts, read 732,456 times
With flight 447, the pilots weren't saying that "I can't get the aircraft to fly in this weather condition" but were saying something like "The instruments don't make any sense". And then the investigation centered on the instrument readings.

With flight 3407, the preliminary investigation found a 15 second +/- speed-bleed, before the stall warning, to be significant. But the final investigation didn't recognize any significance to the speed-bleed but said that the performance of the aircraft was normal.

The MAX crashes were just impossible to fly when the flight-control system was snapping the nose of the aircraft towards the ground during take-off climb

Old 12-13-2022, 02:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Default Air Canada Flight 759 - near miss 7July2017

On July 7, 2017, an Airbus A320-211 operating as Air Canada Flight 759 cleared by air traffic control to land on runway 28R and was on final approach to land on that runway; however, instead of lining up with the runway, the aircraft had lined up with the parallel taxiway, on which four fully loaded and fueled passenger airplanes were stopped awaiting takeoff clearance.

it missed colliding with one of the aircraft on the taxiway by 14 feet (4.3 m).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Canada_Flight_759

I was outbound on 787 UA 001.

That was close... a very simple 'mistake' could have cost 1000+ lives.

How many close calls do I NOT hear about .
Good thing, as I now only fly a couple times / week, but used to fly a few times / day.

Old 12-13-2022, 06:53 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,282,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Air Florida Flight 90 that went into the Potomac river. As a young 20 something living in the DC area at the time, I was home from work early that day due to the snow storm. I had the TV on, was getting ready to watch General Hospital (those were the Luke/Laura/Rick Springfield days of the soap in the early 1980's). Watched the news reports of the crash coming in, including the dramatic rescue of the few survivors unfold. Never, ever forgot it.
^ This. I grew up outside DC (Montgomery County). I remember getting home from school and my aunt called my mom to turn on the TV.

We watched the helicopter rescue live. Watching that poor flight attendant trying to grab the donut was heart-wrenching. Although as a 12 year old, I don't think it impacted me as much as it would if I were older. That's an episode of Air Disasters that I would always watch if I come across it.

And of course, 9/11. But I see that as more than just an aviation incident. And it certainly impacted me on more than just an emotional level. Since I worked just outside of DC, our company went into emergency response mode as there were employees commuting that couldn't be contacted. Including two of my own staff. Luckily, they eventually were located.

Like many, that day was just a daze. Since I got to work early, I didn't get to see any of the coverage until I got home. And I don't think my TV went away from CNN for the next five days...

Old 12-13-2022, 09:35 AM

10,832 posts, read 4,521,326 times
but since the title is 'airline INCIDENT that affected you...'

we have been focusing on crashes.

I think often about cactus 1549 aka the miracle on the hudson piloted by 'sully' - chesley sullenberger - about as manly a pilot name as 'nigel caruthers' (I bet $5 no one remembers the reference)

I have gone into and out of all 3 majors in or around NYC and if you cannot spot over a dozen traffic objects our your tiny window - you aint trying. having once lived there I have boated every inch of the landing path and as a water runway goes, thats about optimum. In the winter. had it been summer he would have ran over 50 boats its THAT crowded.

once he committed to a dunkin;, the largest problem he said he faced was the 'bus flight controls didnt really want him to 'cfit' wheels up and fought his final control inputs.

of all the things we learned that day - that flight crew has balls of steel and I want them as flight crew every time I take to the air.

and something sully said: (I paraphrase)

Every time you do something, you make a small deposit in the experience bank, saved up in the case someday you make an eventual withdrawal. so so true.

Old 12-13-2022, 10:05 AM

9,500 posts, read 4,337,574 times
A close friend of mine's brother died in the TWA 800 crash in 1996 in New York. While I personally didn't know him, their father spent many years trying to find answers regarding why the plane crashed. He sold a very successful business to spend all of his time investigating TWA 800. It was sad to watch.

In terms of how an aircraft disaster affected me emotionally, 9/11 is something I fill never forget. I wasn't there and didn't know anyone personally who died, but the entire event (The WTC towers, the Pentagon, and Flight 93) was horrifying and heartbreaking.

The Challenger space shuttle disaster 1996 also had a profound affect on me.

Old 12-13-2022, 11:21 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
but since the title is 'airline INCIDENT that affected you...'

we have been focusing on crashes.

I think often about cactus 1549 aka the miracle on the hudson piloted by 'sully' - chesley sullenberger - about as manly a pilot name as 'nigel caruthers' (I bet $5 no one remembers the reference)

I thought what really made Sully a true stud that day was walking to the back of the cabin twice to make sure all the passengers on his ship had gotten out, unlike the captain of that Italian cruise ship who abandoned ship after an incident showing little concern for the passengers he was responsible for.

Old 12-14-2022, 10:17 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
I was waiting for a flight at American Airlines, O'Hare Airport on the afternoon of May 25, 1979 when American 191 crashed during takeoff. All flight were delayed for about an hour. We could see the smoke form the fire after it crashed. I was a bit nervous when I got on my flight but as I was in First Class, I got a drink before we took off. Flight attendant said she was sorry she could not join me but she so wanted to have a drink herself.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:32 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
I'd have to go with MH370. We simply have no clue how it happened. Lots of theories and speculation but nothing definitive. With incidents that after investigation, we know what happened or have some good evidence supporting ie mechanical, human errors then we can learn and prevent. With MH370 nothing and the not knowing for me is the most impactful

Old 12-21-2022, 06:43 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,334,408 times
I and my family flew from Taipei to Hong Kong & back on a China Air Transport C-46 in 1958. Had a good time, but a several years after we moved back stateside that same flight crashed into a mountain side killing all aboard.
Chilled me to the bone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation