Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2017, 08:11 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,381,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
While it certainly helps to reflect upon the miracle of flight as a way of putting things in perspective, the fact remains that flying is a horrible experience. Even first and business are nothing like they used to be. Among the many reasons for this decline - 9/11, CEO's who care about nothing but profits and completely disregard the importance of treating employees with respect, aging fleets of aircraft, the ever present specter of terrorism.

Also, American Airlines is American Airlines in name only. It's US Airways all the way, unfortunately.

Signed,
A retired flight attendant who remembers the good old days........
who now travels by RV😊
Wow wait, pull the handbrake. Flying is horrible?? I mean it has its hustles but far from horrible. And business class is superb, ok maybe not as great as a night at the Royal Suite at the Hotel Plaza Athenee in Paris, but beats driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 10:37 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
As someone who has spent mot of my life in areas where the airports are outstations, I can say I'm glad to see the gradual phase-out of the turboprops in many areas in favor of regional jets. Actually like the RJ 700 & 900s, and even the Embraer 135 I can't fully stand up in is still a big improvement over the old Saab turboprops that always seemed to leave me partly deaf for a few hours after a flight.

Also- no more smoking sections like in the Golden Age of Flight. There were still smoking areas on international flights through the 80s, and talk about nasty cabin air quality.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:20 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I never understood why the US doesn't have a couple of airlines in the top ten best airlines ranking. I mean the US is a superpower, pioneer in aviation and yet we have AA, Delta, United etc etc all crap airlines by developed countries standards. KLM, Air France, British Airways, Lufthansa, SAS etc etc are all better airlines than what we have in the US. Why is that?

The World’s Top 10 Airlines of 2016
  1. Emirates
  2. Qatar Airways
  3. Singapore Airlines
  4. Cathay Pacific
  5. ANA All Nippon Airways
  6. Etihad Airways
  7. Turkish Airlines
  8. EVA Air
  9. Qantas Airways
  10. Lufthansa
http://www.airlinequality.com/news/2...rds-announced/

According to TripAdvisor

1. Emirates - 67.5% five-star reviews
  2. Singapore Airlines - 64.2%
  3. Air New Zealand - 60.6%
  4. Southwest - 60%
  5. Qatar Airways - 59.7%
  6. JetBlue - 59.4%
  7. Aeroflot - 58.9%
  8. JAL - 58.6%
  9. Azul - 58.6%
  10. Jet2.com - 56.4%
  11. ANA - 55.8%
  12. Garuda - 53.5%
  13. Aegean - 53.5%
  14. THAI Smile - 51%
  15. Avianca - 49.9%
  16. TAM - 45.5%
The world's best (and worst) airlines - according to TripAdvisor

The 20 best airlines as ranked by Business Insider:
20 best airlines in the world for 2016 - Business Insider

Note the only two European airlines to make that list are 14: Air France, and 10: Lufthansa

Everywhere else you see time and time again the dominance of Asian, Middle Eastern/Gulf carriers, and Turkish Airlines, and of course Qantas. So we ask ourselves why no American carriers make these coveted (but subjective) lists.

Frist and foremost we are talking about state owned and or highly subsidized airlines. Qatar and the UAE airlines benefit from tens of billions in direct or indirect government aid. Get the Facts on Gulf Carrier Subsidies » Partnership for Open and Fair Skies

All that funding allows these airlines to purchase modern and very up to date fleets. They also have plenty of money to throw around in order to hire pilots, flight crew and other employees even if that means importing them from around the world.

As for the "front office staff" these airlines can get away with things USA carriers long have given up. Airline hostesses and hosts are hired largely based upon looks and willingness to "serve" and promote the specific carrier's image. Uniforms are what they are; men are men and women are women. In short it is like they all sat down and studied a text book on Pan Am and are trying to go one better than that great airline.

Oh and don't forget many of these Gulf/UAE airlines among others have age limit cutoff for cabin crew. Thirty is the most common number, so you won't be welcomed aboard and served by some harridan who has been flying for thirty years and several carriers and is bitter about the whole deal.

Prior to deregulation airlines basically had to compete on service since rates were set elsewhere. Once the game changed it has been a slow race to the bottom ever since. Flying some USA carriers is like going to a clip joint.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:25 PM

992 posts, read 875,989 times
Delta>United>>>>>>American>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alaska/Virgin/Jet Blue >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Southwest>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>L ow Cost Carriers

Old 01-19-2017, 12:44 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Delta>United>>>>>>American>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Alaska/Virgin/Jet Blue >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Southwest>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>L ow Cost Carriers
Depends on if you have status with those, but without any status I do not think that Southwest should be behind the big 3. With status and lounge access, frequent upgrades, a couple of booze vouchers per year and free baggage allowance it is a whole different story.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:24 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulippsy View Post
While it certainly helps to reflect upon the miracle of flight as a way of putting things in perspective, the fact remains that flying is a horrible experience. Even first and business are nothing like they used to be. Among the many reasons for this decline - 9/11, CEO's who care about nothing but profits and completely disregard the importance of treating employees with respect, aging fleets of aircraft, the ever present specter of terrorism.

Also, American Airlines is American Airlines in name only. It's US Airways all the way, unfortunately.

Signed,
A retired flight attendant who remembers the good old days........
who now travels by RV😊
The CEO serves at the whim of the Board of Directors which has a fiduciary duty to the shareholders to maximize profit. Why would that CEO not be focused on profit if ignoring that would be contrary to why he was hired and the goals of those who pay him?

Given the choice in the past I always chose US Airways over American for service, comfort and pricing.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:06 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I never understood why the US doesn't have a couple of airlines in the top ten best airlines ranking. I mean the US is a superpower, pioneer in aviation and yet we have AA, Delta, United etc etc all crap airlines by developed countries standards. KLM, Air France, British Airways, Lufthansa, SAS etc etc are all better airlines than what we have in the US. Why is that?
Because most of our air travel is cheap domestic travel, where the customer cares a lot about price and gets off the plane almost as soon as they get on. Most other countries' air travel business is dominated by high priced international travel, usually paid for by employers.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
As long as the plane lands safely, I don't need any additional service on a flight.
I guess you don't take 100+ flights a year, some of them 10 hours long. I do. (Most, thankfully, are short flights but I know people who fly back and forth to Europe every couple of weeks.)

Old 01-19-2017, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
I mean, how many people, historically, have taken vacations requiring 1,000 miles of travel from point A to point B? Not many, definitely not many outside the 1%ers.
Almost everyone, including my unemployable brother-in-law. Are you really a social science professor?

Old 01-19-2017, 04:21 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Because there is no competition, no need to improve or anything. All the other international airlines, LATAM, Avianca, Copa, etc, they offer free food, free alcohol, free checked bags, free carryon, etc. Usually really good entertainment too, especially Avianca and LATAM. In comparison the American carriers make you feel like you owe them something the moment you walk in the airport, ****ing bull****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation