Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2017, 05:52 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,013,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Republic Actually.

But my "Guess" is the Crew that was suppose to be in SDF for the Monday morning flight, either timed out, or got stuck somewhere else due to weather or maybe a mechanical issue.
Republic: A very important element to this story, that in every media story I've witnessed, and in 17 pages of posts here, has been overlooked.

Yes, it's United branded, and United will take the heat. But knowing what I know about regional airlines, the catalyst for this entire scenario was likely a $12 an hour crew scheduler making a poor decision. Or probably more likely, given modern work ethics, making the easiest decision requiring the least amount of work on his or her's part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 06:03 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,576,435 times
Y'all should drive.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:34 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,779,115 times
I used to fly a lot. Whenever such a situation occurred - and it wasn't at all common - volunteers were asked for, with compensation offered. If there weren't enough volunteers, then the people without a seat or seat assignment had to wait for the next flight. No one would EVER have been forcibly removed after having a seat assigned, let alone after actually being seated.

I'm so glad I don't have to fly any more. The rudeness and weirdness of the security searches and the way airline employees treat passengers these days would have my BP at the boiling point more often than not.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:36 PM

26,196 posts, read 21,611,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
But weather will happen. Can't control the weather, but airlines can put plans in place to deal with displaced crews. They simply choose not to.
If you can't control it you really can't have a plan in place that provides all outs. To suggest otherwise is foolish

Old 04-11-2017, 06:54 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,446,827 times
United's CEO last apologize was solely based on the stock market, he showed his true colors already.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:09 PM

9,538 posts, read 16,533,027 times
I think the entire scenario is a disgrace. I worked for Delta during my working years. I never in all those years had a situation, escalate into what happened on that United flight. Flights being overbooked is a daily occurrence. Generally people will take what can be, very generous compensation for taking a later flight. I don't quite understand all that went on with this flight. I do notice though that most people blame United, for dragging that poor man off the plane. United called the Police and the Police, dragged the man not United. All in all United is responsible for the overbooking, not the passenger. The passenger did not deserve to be treated so horribly, because of thier poor scheduling. I am completely disgusted this was allowed to happen to anyone. Especially a 69 year old man. I think if I had been the FA on that flight I would have been fired. I would have physically intervened in defense of that poor man.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:35 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,119,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think the entire scenario is a disgrace. I worked for Delta during my working years. I never in all those years had a situation, escalate into what happened on that United flight. Flights being overbooked is a daily occurrence. Generally people will take what can be, very generous compensation for taking a later flight. I don't quite understand all that went on with this flight. I do notice though that most people blame United, for dragging that poor man off the plane. United called the Police and the Police, dragged the man not United. All in all United is responsible for the overbooking, not the passenger. The passenger did not deserve to be treated so horribly, because of thier poor scheduling. I am completely disgusted this was allowed to happen to anyone. Especially a 69 year old man. I think if I had been the FA on that flight I would have been fired. I would have physically intervened in defense of that poor man.
Bravo Sir. The hero acts irregardless of the consequences.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:45 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,168,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I can see this from both sides. The airline has the authority to bump passengers, needed to do so in this case, and the passenger's lack of cooperation caused problems which the airline handed over to law enforcement. The passenger, on the other hand, had paid for his seat, was boarded, and needed to get to his destination.

I would hope that United will review its policies in situations like these, because while every passenger has a life and good reason to get where they're going, some reasons are better than others. The airline isn't randomly selecting passengers to bump, the airline protects certain passengers, first-class passengers, frequent flyers, etc. So there is a pool of passengers that don't fit the protected profiles, and from that pool the airline selects people. If the selected passenger can provide sufficient reason why they shouldn't be bumped, then the airline policy should allow an exemption and another passenger to be elected.

That said, a previous poster noted that Chicago and Louisville aren't that far apart, and the airline could have driven the crew to Louisville by limo. Or could have offered passengers that option. The airline's policy could be more flexible than it evidently is.
The entire problem is the authority to bump rather than the authority to raise the price until someone gives up a seat. In the long run they thought they could save money by using a uniform to force someone off but now everybody has a movie camera and a doctor brave enough to stand against the uniform has shown the way.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:31 PM

318 posts, read 467,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Local news interviewed some travel guy and he said short term -- maybe, but the next time United sells a flight 50 bucks cheaper than Delta...saving money will win the day, and those people who are banning United will be buying the cheaper ticket.

The other thing -- he handled this badly. If he were my doctor, I'd be looking for a new doctor. Not to mention -- he's had problems with the law, too.

I know, right? Yes he was mistreated... and he also acted like a total jerk. Not someone I would choose as my physician for sure!

Old 04-11-2017, 09:48 PM

15,423 posts, read 9,102,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
United has finally released a new statement. Too little too late IMO:

https://hub.united.com/united-expres...355968629.html
Underimpressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation