Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 08:47 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
@Obrienlester
I don't get the crazy anger at United right now. One isolated incident of a dumb crew member, and suddenly its a trending story
Most of it is fueled by the CEO's inane response. If he had immediately apologized, and promised to look into the incident, it would have died.

But first he talked about having to reaccomodate the person. The next day he sends a message fully backing the employees for their actions.

Only on the third day, when TPTB realized what a **** storm he had caused by his idiotic responses, did he fully apologize. And then it was too late. This should be a lesson in what NOT to do for CEOs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 12:39 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
London has the following international airports: LHR, LGW, LTN, LCY, STN and SEN.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:12 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBall View Post
That's a good question. In another forum a poster had stated that she felt confined living in a city that had only one airport. But the reality is...very few (US) cities have two commercial airports.
"Confined" living in a city with only one airport? Don't quite understand that.

It's probably logistically easier to fly in/out of an single, major airport - ATL is an example of a metro area with "only one airport" [and it's a huge one - #1 in total passengers per year].

Old 04-20-2017, 10:30 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
"Confined" living in a city with only one airport? Don't quite understand that.

It's probably logistically easier to fly in/out of an single, major airport - ATL is an example of a metro area with "only one airport" [and it's a huge one - #1 in total passengers per year].
The poster may feel confined not having options she's accustomed to.

Size is the exact reason many people in the Chicago area will drive further to fly out of Midway. Some people prefer it because it's smaller and easier to navigate than O'Hare.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:47 PM

491 posts, read 473,786 times
I think the rule should be which cities have more than one international airport.

The problem is that the definition is too broad. For example, when we talk about city, I think you're assuming that we're talking about the metropolitan area. Also, there's no easy way to define airport, because almost every small city has some airport of some kind. In the Los Angeles area, there's like 15+ little airports and a couple of international airports. There are many municipal airports, executive airports and military airports. The Miami area has Miami International, Fort Lauderdale International, Palm Beach International, etc. Still, most people going to Miami don't use all three of the airports, they usually only go to Miami International, since that is the closest, and sometimes the Fort Lauderdale International, but not Palm Beach, 'cause that's too far, but it's still part of the metro area.

New York City probably has the most "airport" that is used by anyone going to the center of New York City, they have 3 major international airport that anybody going to New York City can use to go to New York City that is close to the city center, Newark Liberty International, La Guardia International, and JFK International. Whereas if you're flying into Los Angeles, almost everybody goes to LAX, because that's the closest, even though there are more than 15+ airports and numerous other smaller international airports, but most people don't use them, because they're further form LA, or because people just don't know about them.

So, the definitions are strange. I would say it's just 3 major ones in New York City, which is a lot. In Miami, it's 2 major ones (Miami/Fort Lauderdale), even though there are 3 international airports in the are (with Palm Beach being the third).

Old 04-20-2017, 11:51 PM

491 posts, read 473,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Many others do, Seattle, and Colorado Springs, Baltimore, Orlando, Buffalo, Cleveland, Dallas come to mind.
Orlando only has one major international that is close to everything and most people go to, even though it has tons of other little airports, including close by international airports like Daytona Beach International, Tampa International, and little international airports like Sanford International airport, Leesburg International airport, etc.

This is why it's hard to define this. Also, most people in Colorado Springs, would just use Denver International Airport, wouldn't they?

Old 04-21-2017, 02:28 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,156 times
Many cities have...

- NYC (LGA,EWR, JFK)
- Dallas (Love Field und DFW)
- Houston (Hobby and IAH)
- Chicago (ORD and MDW)
- L.A. however you may define it
- Washington DC (IAD, DCA)
- Paris (ORY, CDG)
- Moscow (VKO, DME, SVO)
- Kiev (IEV, KBP)
- London (LHR, LGW, LCY, LTN, STN, SEN)
- Brussels (BRU, CRL)
- Stockholm (ARN,BMA)
- Tokyo (NRT, HND)
- Osaka (KIX, ITM)
- Seoul (ICN, GMP)
- Kuala Lumpur (Subang, KUL)

There are certainly more. That was just what came to my mind spontanously.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:41 AM

430 posts, read 290,834 times
Quote:
@Obrienlester
I don't get the crazy anger at United right now. One isolated incident of a dumb crew member, and suddenly its a trending story
I've heard bad things about United even before the incident. I'm just cracking up that someone would take United over Southwest. There's not too many Airlines out there topping SW in customer service.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:14 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
@Obrienlester
If we keep hammaring on them in social media, they will have to keep prices down to get customers.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:11 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrienlester View Post
I've heard bad things about United even before the incident. I'm just cracking up that someone would take United over Southwest. There's not too many Airlines out there topping SW in customer service.
There's more to successful airline operations than pleasant customer service. Reasons why I prefer United in a lot of cases:

1) Southwest's cranky routing (or lack there of) options when you're starting from or going to an outstation. Why will they not sell me a ticket for Pensacola-San Francisco without me having to 'hack' the system? I was hoping their new computer system would allow for longer connection times that would fix the problem, but nothing so far.

2) small number of domestic airports served, and no partner airlines for international flights. United's alliance gives me truly global frequent flyer redemption options

3) do not like Southwest's dollar-based redemption FF program. We've got aging parents and part of the reason why I hold miles is so I can arbitrage them and get a last minute flight up to Michigan for less than $100 in taxes and fees. With Southwest, last minute flying is going to have no availability in Wanna Get Away fare buckets and the number of points needed to redeem is going to be a lot more than a last minute redemption from a more traditional FF program.

4) while United doesn't have awesome on time numbers, we've run into about a 75% delay rate with Southwest. When you're booked onto the last flight of the day to an outstation, and a plane scheduled for another route with more segments to go that day has a mechanical they'll give 'your plane' away to that other route.

5) Four hours at Hobby (see previous point) is far more boring than four hours at IAH. I've done both during delays.

As for customer service, I've had the best luck with Delta, all things considered. And they've got a strong local presence at my local airport and will gladly fly me to San Francisco and beyond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation