Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 06:50 AM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Your answer is in post #43, but you'd probably settle for what you put in #30.
So Bruce Springsteen is egotistical because he makes millions singing to people. Okay then, I'm in good company. I suppose you don't want to make a lot of money?

Old 05-13-2017, 10:56 AM

26,194 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Per passenger pay doesn't make sense. Plenty of the flights are carrying air freight which is also a large revenue stream for the airlines

Old 05-13-2017, 11:49 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
So Bruce Springsteen is egotistical because he makes millions singing to people. Okay then, I'm in good company. I suppose you don't want to make a lot of money?
I don't mind making a lot of money but I also don't fool myself into believing I deserve it.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:59 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Okay, fair enough. I realize that a pilot is serving many people at the same time for hours as opposed to say a doctor who may see many people individually over several hours. The President of the United States serves 320 million people and only makes $400,000 (along with a lot of other priceless perks).
The qualifications/experience requirements for POTUS are far less than for an airline pilot and the POTUS won't lose his career for blowing a biannual physical for some matter that would allow most folks to keep on working.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The qualifications/experience requirements for POTUS are far less than for an airline pilot and the POTUS won't lose his career for blowing a biannual physical for some matter that would allow most folks to keep on working.
Exactly! The POTUS can screw up everyday, but no one dies...well except for military personnel.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I don't mind making a lot of money but I also don't fool myself into believing I deserve it.
Just because you don't feel you deserve if for your job doesn't mean I have to not feel I deserve it for mine. I think "deserving it" depends on the level of responsibility. Or another way to look at it is: what is the worst thing that could happen if you screw up on your job? If Bruce Springsteen walked out on stage and forgot the lyrics to his songs, he would get a lot of boos and his fans would go home disapointed. If a pilot forgets one thing, hundreds of people might not go home or have a chance to boo.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:20 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
Just because you don't feel you deserve if for your job doesn't mean I have to not feel I deserve it for mine. I think "deserving it" depends on the level of responsibility. Or another way to look at it is: what is the worst thing that could happen if you screw up on your job? If Bruce Springsteen walked out on stage and forgot the lyrics to his songs, he would get a lot of boos and his fans would go home disapointed. If a pilot forgets one thing, hundreds of people might not go home or have a chance to boo.
Today I'm pretty much retired but there was a time when if I screwed up at work I could have killed twice as many as you could. Figure it out.

I grew up with a very good friend whose father was a chief pilot for one of the largest airlines in the world, a guy with bomber experience in the Pacific who even got to float on a raft for a few days there waiting to be picked up when his plane went down. This is a guy who twice got on an aircraft that had been hijacked to take them across the ocean but he just wanted to go fishing and grill a steak, not talk about how much money he thought he deserved. He inspired confidence which is precisely what I pay for when I fly and I spent a lot of years as a road warrior flying multiple legs every week.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:40 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Come on. You are a high end bus driver often with a good union.

And in the next generation there will be only one of you overseeing a computer who will actually operate the aircraft.

Your pay is what you and your union can bargain for from the system. Simple as that. You may do as well as the railroad guys who have basically struck a deal that they are valuable and irreplaceable even though they are easily automated out of existence with likely an increase in safety.

I enjoy flying airplanes. Fun thing to do. But not a task requiring great skill. Did you watch the French guys ride a perfectly good airplane into the sea because no one thought to put the nose down?

Old 05-13-2017, 09:43 PM

557 posts, read 607,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

And in the next generation there will be only one of you overseeing a computer who will actually operate the aircraft.
Not going to happen

Old 05-13-2017, 09:45 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpounder View Post
Not going to happen
Virtually guaranteed. And the airlines that don't will get driven to it by the low cost carriers who do. And after a while they may not even be pilots. Overseeing a computer is a different job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation