Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 02:47 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,058,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
That the technology has advanced is a given. My question is if we will take the same path to the moon. NASA eventually settled on the Lunar Orbit Rendezvous. How would anyone think that such a complex operation would work is beyond me. You shoot up the Landing Module which will dock with the Orbiter that just happens to be passing by? How many things have to go right for this to work. This feat is far more impressive to me than even building the Saturn V. Can we just land the spacecraft on the moon today and lift off when we want to? If the answer is no, then not much has changed.

The point of all this is that the LEM lower stage only descends to the moon, the ascent stage stays at the moon, so you save a good bit of weight that would need to be accelerated out of lunar orbit, compared to a single module that lands on the moon, takes back off, then leaves lunar orbit to return to Earth.

There was no luck involved, it's all math. The launch from Earth orbit decoupled the ground launch from leaving Earth orbit. The LEM ascent stage launched at a specific time to more or less "merge" with the Command Module/Service Module. After that, again, heading out from Lunar orbit to Earth was "decoupled" from exactly where the LEM launched from, which moved while the crew was on the Moon.

The whole idea of a "Buck Rodgers" space ship that is like an airplane, and you just add fuel before your next adventure, would be damn hard to make work, it would require a LOT more fuel, than expendable or at least detachable stages, the way it was actually done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 09:31 AM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It certainly was not a "political fiasco," it was a stunning political victory.

Not arguing with you on this, but.. Was it? I'd tend to agree that it was, but perhaps not in the way you'd expect, or at least, not in the way that we currently think of a political victory.

It was a political victory for the US as a whole, on the world stage. It cemented a legacy for Kennedy and his image, for lack of a better term, has benefited from it.. The credit Johnson gets from it is basically mission control was named after him.. and he probably is the one person most responsible for it happening by continuing to get the high funding levels pushed through for it. Nixon reaped some of the glory due to the landings all happening on his watch and really didn't catch a whole lot of heat for cancelling 3 of the missions.

Internally.. It was a moral victory for the US, but not really a large political victory.. Strictly from an internal standpoint. NASA, generally considered apolitical, got the glory internal to the US.

Certainly wasn't a fiasco.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:43 PM

5,957 posts, read 2,874,419 times
Mankind didn't round trip the moon, the United States did.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:44 PM

15,824 posts, read 6,534,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Mankind didn't round trip the moon, the United States did.
All three Apollo 11 astronauts had Irish ancestors, so technically...

Old 07-21-2019, 01:29 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
All three Apollo 11 astronauts had Irish ancestors, so technically...
And the reason we had a space program at all was due to Wernher Von Braun. Do you know who he used to work for?

There's a great line in the movie "The Right Stuff" and I assume the book of the same name. When speaking about the Russians advancement prior to ours, someone said, "Our Germans are better than their Germans". I laughed my you know what off!

Bottom line. None of it would have happened without the U.S.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:43 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
And the reason we had a space program at all was due to Wernher Von Braun. Do you know who he used to work for?

There's a great line in the movie "The Right Stuff" and I assume the book of the same name. When speaking about the Russians advancement prior to ours, someone said, "Our Germans are better than their Germans". I laughed my you know what off!

Bottom line. None of it would have happened without the U.S.
The Right Stuff is one of the best books I’ve read in a long time. I picked it up a few months ago and couldn’t put it down until I finished.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:55 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,924,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
So why all this talk about going to Mars? I see a lot of politicians out front on this. More astronauts have died on space shuttle flights to nowhere.
Not sure really. Although I am a strong advocate for space exploration, the most logical future approach is improved automation and unmanned exploration. Look at everything that was discovered with the Mars rovers. Open to arguments for it but none seem compelling yet.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:59 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,924,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You may want to check the definition of "fiasco."

It certainly was not a "political fiasco," it was a stunning political victory.

It wasn't even a fiasco as a technological achievement, inasmuch as it actually worked.

It just wasn't the best way to initiate a sustainable presence in space.
Seems like it transcended the geopolitics of the day in many ways.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:53 AM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Seems like it transcended the geopolitics of the day in many ways.
Not from the way Russians cried in the streets as they read the headlines on July 21.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:08 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
Well, I don't know if I would characterize it as "easier".

True, it's been done now, so you wouldn't have to redesign some things.

But you've still got to perch some people on top of a rocket full of highly explosive fuel, and then set it off, and then hit what you're aiming at 240,000 miles away. None of that qualifies as "easier" in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation